So, what are your strengths and weaknesses as a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mkate, Feb 5, 2010.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2010

My strength is engaging students in discussions. I love leading classroom discussions where we discover connections, share ideas, and create a better understanding of the material at hand.
    My weakness is dealing effectively with whiners! I just want to knock their heads togehter three stooges style! I can dream, can't I?

2. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 8, 2010

Weakness: I talk a lot (and I write books instead of newsletters and emails).

3. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Feb 8, 2010

mkate: I say the same thing but I pose it like this: "Well, like any new teacher I am still learning classroom management....... However, since I am a new teacher I am also good at reflecting and evaluating myself and changing what needs to be changed. I am flexible and not set in my ways yet, so I am free to try new things. I really want to try out (WBT). Oh, you haven't heard of it? Well, it is a management process........." The interviewer was interested and could tell I was keeping up with new techniques because I had not done it yet either!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2010

Good thinking, HeatherY! :)

5. mkate

mkate Comrade

Feb 9, 2010

Yes, that is a great answer, HeatherY! I had the interview yesterday and it went very well. They didn't ask me the strengths and weaknesses question at all! I was able to show that I have been keeping abreast of new techniques and approaches, and it so happens that one of the things I mentioned is a key issue for them. I'll hear soon if they want to hire me.

And it's funny, because I had also been meaning to start a thread asking if/how people's perspectives as both parent and teacher have changed as a result of having both roles. I think that as others have said, being a parent gives me more empathy towards my students. My own 7yo can be a challenge, and when I was student teaching there was a student with similar issues and it really bothered me to see how his classroom teacher dealt with him. It doubly confirmed for me that I would never ever use sarcasm or belittling as a discipline technique...

Using my parent perspective, I am doubly motivated to find ways to help kids succeed in the classroom, not just reprimand them when they don't.