So what are your kindergarteners making for a Christmas Present...?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by McKennaL, Dec 6, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 6, 2009

What are your kindergarteners making for a holiday gift for their parents?

We are doing the cookie mix in a jar and an apron with their hand prints on it.

3. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 6, 2009

PK - handprint ornaments with plaster of paris
    K - handprint calendar

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 6, 2009

I'm hoping to make a snowman ornament idea someone posted on here (can't remember where...) but I need to find ornaments they won't crush when they 'grab' them with painted fingers...

5. bg1166

bg1166 Rookie

Dec 6, 2009

I am doing the snowman ornament as well. I got my ornaments from wal-mart they are shatterproof.

6. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Dec 6, 2009

This is the sixth year I have the snowman ornament and I have always used glass ornaments that I get half off when they go on sale at our craft stores in this area. I just tell the kids they have to be real careful and I haven't had a broken ornament except in the box before I have used them. I send them home in the middle of two styrofoam bowls which is an idea courtesy of another teacher friend. We take the ornament and wrap it in tissue paper put it in between two white styrofoam bowls which we have the kids stripe red so that it looks like peppermint candy and then wrap it in white tissue paper tie it with curling ribbon on both sides to make it look like a piece of candy. They always look really cute and I hole punch a die cut with their name on it and put the ribbon through the hole to make it easy to know whose is whose.

7. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Dec 7, 2009

We do a salt/flour dough Christmas tree ornament. I make a batch of green dough for the tree (use a cookie cutter) and other colors to "decorate" with. They roll small balls, etc. to put on their trees. When they are dry I dip them in polyurethane.

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 7, 2009

dcnuck - can you explain the styrofoam bowls to me? I'm unclear what you mean... any pictures?

I guess I'll goto Walmart and see what ornaments I can find... I try to avoid that place like the plague this time of year, but I'll do it - I'm so darn dedicated. :D

9. newkteacherfl

newkteacherfl Companion

Dec 7, 2009

I am making the snowman ornaments as well. I wanted shatterproof ornaments, but I settled for glass ones at Michaels so I could avoid Wal-Mart. They were only 3.99 for 8 aquamarine ornaments :)

10. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Dec 7, 2009

Michael's is where I bought mine also for 3.99 which is a very good deal.

Each child gets two white styrofoam bowls and we write their names inside each one with sharpie then we flip the bowls over upside down in front of them. They are supposed to paint them with stripes like candy canes but a lot of times they paint the whole thing red which I let them paint however they want to---when they paint it red it looks kind of like a red hot candy anyway---Wrap the ornament in white tissue, put them in between the two bowls and tape the bowls together. lay a sheet of white tissue paper and then wrap the tape bowl with the tissue gather the ends of the tissue paper like a piece of candy or bubble gum tie it with curling ribbon to keep it together. Hope that helps

11. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Dec 10, 2009

I save Christmas cards and cut out the pictures (in a circle) and let the kids glue them on old CD's, then glitter all around the edges to make an ornament. I also bought some cute, little wooden wreaths at the Dollar Tree-12 for a dollar- and will let the kids paint them and glue their photos into the opening. That's about it.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 10, 2009

I did the ornaments and did 14 for 2.50 at walmart.

13. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2009

I made rice and glue wreaths. Mix white rice with white glue (colored with green food coloring) Shape into a wreath, poke a hole in the middle for their photo, and use a pencil end to poke a small hole in the top for a red pipecleaner hanger. Let dry overnight. The next day use small red balls (pompoms) teeny ones, for berries, or, punch out red dots with a hole punch, and put the pipecleaner in, and tape the photo to the back. You can take a photo of each child with a santa hat on, or use one you have. They come out really cute, I've had my sample a long time, they last. :D

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 11, 2009

We do a Christmas Tree ornament from Oriental Trading. It is a series of popsicle sticks that are different sizes and they put them in order and decorate with sequins.

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2009

Where are you in California Tasha? :)

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 12, 2009

I am in Texas, near Houston.

17. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 15, 2009

My class is giving hugs and kisses to their parents. I bought bags of Hershey kisses and Hershey hugs. Each child will make two--one for mom and one for dad. I tape one end of a toilet paper tube for each gift, the kids count out 9 each of hershey kisses and hershey hugs and drop them into the tube. Then I tape the open end closed. I give them a strip of wrapping paper--- they can choose from many, and they "paint" a toilet paper tube with glue. Then they roll it across the strip of paper, smoothing it as they go. I make the paper wider than the tube and then gather the ends and tie with ribbon. They also make a card to go with it for each parent.

18. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2009

We're doing a variation of the snowman handprint ornament. Instead of ornaments, we're doing them on baby food jars and then putting a tealight inside.

I may also make my calendars, which I do most years. The children draw family pictures and I attach calendars to them.

We also make our own wrapping paper.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 15, 2009

We bought blue ball ornaments and painted the children's hands white and printed them on the ornament so it looks like snow and a snowman.

20. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2009

lol, I must have been reading my own info. ?:lol:

21. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Dec 16, 2009

After reading your post, I decided to give it a try. I just did these today! They turned out great!:) I can't wait to get the photos cut and put behind them. I think they are going to be adorable!:haha:

22. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Dec 16, 2009

I also do the salt dough ornaments (such an easy recipe) and after microwaving for 5 minutes, they are rock hard. I then gave the kids liquid watercolors to paint them with, tomorrow they can decorate with some glitter glue! I must say...for a LAST minute (as in 11:00 last night) idea, they turned out really good!

23. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Dec 16, 2009

Do share the recipe! I have kids next Monday and Tuesday and need as much fun (not to mention cheap and easy) stuff and I can find!

24. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Dec 17, 2009

does anyone have an idea for a gift they can make that I would NOT have to buy anything for? I have been subbing in a class for 2 weeks and will be there until the break. The teacher had to leave suddenly so I was not left anything from her. I just can not afford to buy anything but I really want them to go home with something for their parents.

25. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Dec 17, 2009

The rice wreath was super easy! All you need is rice and glue. I bought a huge bag from sams for $4! Too bad you aren't close...I only used 1/4 of it!

26. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Dec 17, 2009

you're right that would be cheap! I wouldn't mind buying the rice and I already have green food coloring and pipe cleaners in the classroom. I don't quite understand how to make them though, do you let them dry on paper and then cut out the paper on the inside and leave it as backing on the back?

27. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Dec 17, 2009

The salt dough recipe is super simple....
    4 cups of flour
    1 cup of salt
    1 1/2 cups of water

mix it up and you got a nice dough that hardens...can be sped up by putting in the microwave 1-5 minutes depending on thickness ( to long and your item WILL cook/burn)...

28. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2009

I don't know if it's too late, but, I put the food coloring in the glue first, then poured it over the rice and stirred. The kids loved watching this, then I gave them each a big scoop of it onto a square of waxed paper. They pushed it down and made a hole in the middle, and sort of rounded out the edges. Then I poked a hole in the top with the eraser end of a pencil for the hanger. I wrote their names on the waxed paper and layed them out to dry all over the classroom (lol) The next day they peeled them off the wax paper, put a pipecleaner in the top hole (red looks best but I only had white) and I taped a picture of them to the back (I had the little square ones that come with their school photos for their cumes) and they glued on little red dots. Thats it, they were done. They wrapped with tissue paper and put them in red lunch bags, and closed the bags with holiday stickers, and wrote "Love, ____" on the bag. Cheap and easy and cute. :)

29. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Dec 19, 2009

did you have any trouble with their hands getting all green from the food coloring? i tried dying pasta once and i had food coloring on me for days lol

30. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Dec 19, 2009

I had them mix the ingredients with a spoon and then used gloves to press it into a circle. You know, the gloves they give me at the beginning of the year in case I come in contact with blood or puke. :eek:

I didn't think about making a hole...that was a good suggestion. I pressed a paper clip in the back while they were wet to hang it from...hole was probably prettier! :) I'm cutting their pics out in a circle with a huge hole punch I have and then taping it to the back I suppose... They dry really quickly. I had mine all over the room to dry too! I can't wait to buy a drying rack this year!

I had them decorate a white lunch bag with the handprint that looks like Santa and the plan was to wrap in tissue paper Monday and send home. However, we just got 2 feet of snow, so it will probably be an after Christmas present!:woot: lol

31. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Dec 19, 2009

So did your kids use cookie cutters?! Or make something like they do out of clay like a snowman that stands up?! I was hoping to do this Monday/Tuesday but we just got hammered with 2 feet of snow!:) So excited! Hoping to return to school after Christmas!:)

32. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Dec 19, 2009

we used cookie cutters, but be sure to put a hole in them for ribbon to hang....once they dry you can't do anything with them but paint them...

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2009

My class is book buddies with K class...the K class made snowman votives for their families and included a poem:

Candle Holder

Get a votive candle holder clear one, or a small jar candle with a red or green candle in it. Have the kids dip their finger in white paint and press onto the glass, you can make one or go completely around the holder. We did them in groups of three. Then use fine tip permanent marker to add eyes, coal ,nose and hat. You can also add the date.

Use this little poem

Little Snowman 1,2,3,
    Made with my fingers
    For you from me
    When you light the candle
    It will burn so bright
    To remind you that
    I LOVE YOU
    Day and Night.

34. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2009

I made a snowman candle holder except I used baby food jars. I wish I had the poem to attach to it! They turned out really cute, but I was afraid the parents might not realize they were prints from their fingers.

35. royalfamily

royalfamily Rookie

Dec 20, 2009

Christmas plates

I took each child's picture in front of the Christmas tree. Then, cut it out and put it in the middle of a 7" glass plate. (purchased at Old time pottery real cheap) I then cut 1" tissue squares of red, green, and gold. I spread modge podge all over the back of the plate, and the students put the squares all over. Many made patterns with the tissue paper. I then spread another layer of modge podge all over it and let it dry a day. They turned out beautiful. The kids were so excited to give them to their parents!