So what are you doing for the last six weeks?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teachling, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 16, 2009

Ok, testing done & now what? Been thinking of coming up with fun stuff as well as preparing kiddos for 5th grade. I have some ideas like book project and animal research project but would welcome other ideas. What fun stuff do you like to do for the last few weeks of school--- particularly for reading, science & social studies?

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2009

I can honestly say I don't know...when I return from sick leave I am not going back to my classroom- I'm going to a Basic Skills Room for the remainder of the year...so I have no idea what to expect since I've never done it before! :)

But my kids loved it when we had a unit of their choice and read a book and did a project based on the subject...I think we did the Olympics that year b/c of the summer Olympics (oh yeah, it was last year...lol)

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 16, 2009

Surviving.
    Seriously, I am actually counting the days this year. I am ready to start over. In May we do our big chocolate economic project, which keeps them really busy. We also do other projects,etc.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 16, 2009

Knitter stole my idea. I was going to say hang on tight.

6. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 16, 2009

What is the chocolate economic project?

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 17, 2009

Surviving... yes, for real!!

review, review, review, review and did I say review? I know it is just preschool but we are going into big time review. Also, I just completed a 2-day training on ABA therapy techniques and such. I want to practice hard these last few weeks so I will know what I am doing and doing it better next year.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 17, 2009

I only have 18 days left. :eek: I just did my lesson plans for the rest of the year, and I have 3 days for the entire Middle Ages. Ack. I'm going to have to seriously modify. I also have to squeeze in the solar system, and one more assessment on volcanoes and earthquakes.

I am toying with the idea of having the kids write a children's book. It was a project we did in college, and I still have mine. But it is quite involved, and I have a big class. I need a small, guinea pig class...

The last week, we always do the egg drop project, and we have a Math Facts Tournament. And a track meet, and we might do something as an elementary on the last day.

Crap, I think we need to go on Saturdays!

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 17, 2009

Wait...I must be insane...I don't wanna go on Saturdays!

10. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Apr 17, 2009

Mine just did this. It took about three weeks total, great results. They did variations on Cinderella stories. I got a bunch of "Cinderella" stories from the library (there are tons, it's awesome!) We started by doing a read aloud of the familiar Disney-esque version. They read the variation stories with partners and did sequencing. compare/contrast and character studies. Then they did brainstorming of their own Cinderellas and the other details of the story and used them to make rough drafts. Finally, they did their final copies with illustrations. After break, I'm going to have five a day read their stories to the rest of the class. I was really happy with how the project went because we covered a lot of grammar and they were able to do a lot of self and peer editing. (This was with a class of 25.)

11. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Apr 17, 2009

Pray the time will go quickly,we still have ten weeks left. Seriously,I have them work together to create review board games which they play,we write a book on a subject that they want to teach the class about and give them a chance to teach a lesson.
    We work with a Kindergarten class where my fifth graders read to them and work on a writing and drawing project on the books.WE do cooperative review games in which class works as teams to answer questions.We do some advanced math to get them read for middle school.WE write letters to incoming fourth grader to warn them about what fifth grade will be like.
    We do have graduation activities and practice .

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2009

Ummm...who said testing was done. I have another round of state testing week after next. Sigh...

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 17, 2009

The 5th grade team reteaches all the economic terms through a chocolate creation contest. In previous years, we paired the kids up, but this year with my class, they will have to go solo. The student is required to create a new chocolate candy/creation(like a baked good). It doesn't have to be "new", but an improvement of an existing candy/creation. The student has to write an advertisement, select a target audience, create a logo, write the recipe, make up a slogan, and create the wrapper. All of these things are then placed on a poster, which will be on the front of their table during the competition. We invite the 4th graders, (who remember and ask the first day of 5th grade if they will be doing it!) to vote on the best creation. (paper ballot). The winner receives a HUGE hershey's candy bar at the 5th grade awards assembly.
    If you want more info, let me know. I will PM you my email and pass anything along via email!:)

14. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 17, 2009

Knitter, I would LOVE more info! My kids love stories about chocolate so I think this may be something I want to do for them. By coincidence we did a story on Hershey (mini biography) this week & they loved it!

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 17, 2009

We did our egg drop today, and I was really impressed! We also had our Accelerated Reading Beach party.

We have 4 filed trips, which I love. We're waiting on our eggs to hatch, and then we're going to do photo journals. I've taken about 1,000 pictures of my class this year. Yesterday I printed them in black and white and they look great. I'm trying to get the stacks sorted for each child for their journal. I'm really excited about it and expect a lot of enthusiasm. We'll tie some other loose ends up, too.

16. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 17, 2009

Hoot, my team teacher & I were talking about something similiar --- I plan on doing a DVD with a montage of pictures of things we've done this year for our classes. Can you share on how you are doing the photo journal?

17. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 17, 2009

I wish I had a digital camera at school...I own a fairly expensive one at home, and am afraid to bring it to school all the time. I am thinking of investing in a cheaper digital..do you have any suggestions?

18. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 17, 2009

I guess I'm an old "fuddy duddy" because I need to cover 8 chapters of math, 3 science units, and 2 in social studies. With reading I'll let the kids choose what stories they want to read in the text, but I will be teaching the skills along with assigning independent work. My 3rd grade colleagues pick right up where I leave off so I need for the kids to get in as much as possible.

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 17, 2009

OK, you are motivating me! By this afternoon, I had changed my mind because it sounded so involved, but after reading this, I might be able to attack it. I'm kind of liking this freedom to choose, because we have covered all the standards we needed to, but I want to choose something that will be both memorable and helpful.

I want to do a story with similes and metaphors, describing themselves and their families. I have a great book that does this, but I cannot for the life of me remember the title right now!

20. Arky

Arky Comrade

Apr 18, 2009

Our pacing guides are designed so that we have covered everything by test time. I will review cursive. It has been neglected greatly. I will review certain objectives that I feel they have not mastered yet.

21. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

I intend to have more cooperative learning and project based learning. In my state we had state testing in September, March, and one last one in May. I think with all of the testing I have gotten away from that. I think my kids will be a lot happier.

It blows my mind that it is almost MAY. Another month and a half and my babies will be in middle school!

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 18, 2009

I hear ya cheery. I sent home a note the other day addressed to 'Parents of Almost-Junior High Students' and one mother (also a friend) texted me asking if I meant to give her a heart attack!

18 days for me now, not that I'm counting...yes, I am...

23. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 18, 2009

We have THREE field trips planned! We are going to see African singers and dancers, a play at the children's theater and the glass museum. We also have the usual exciting end of year school activities.

In the next couple of weeks, we are doing a lot of art, and studying various artists.

Academically, I am really focusing on writing and have shortened my reading block and am going to double up on writing. My kids are pretty low in some of their writing areas (handwriting is AWFUL, especially some of my boys and they of course could continue to just write more in general.) My kids are doing well in math but subtraction is still hard and I want to do some beginning fractions in the last few weeks of school.

That's about it! We have 37 days!!

24. frogger

frogger Devotee

Apr 18, 2009

We still have our testing to do in about 3 weeks or so, so reviewing for the next few weeks until testing - then surviving.

25. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 18, 2009

"Teacher for the Day" - a few weeks before the last week of school, I have my students sign up to teach their classmates a lesson (in a small group setting). This allows enough time for them to plan & prep what they'd like to do.

Then on their assigned day, the "teacher" get 15 minutes to teach 5 or 6 students at a time. The student is responsible for planning, prepping and teaching their classmates a lesson of their choice. (I teach 1st grade.) And so these lessons range from magic tricks, art or crafts project, math games, etc, etc, etc.

I have 4 "teachers" teaching their lesson to their small group and then after 15-20 minutes the class rotates to a new group. This takes up my morning time block for the last several days of school. It's so much fun and we all have a blast!!!

26. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

FREEDOM!!!

Freedom from textbooks and requirements and THE TEST looming over me.

Reading--they're reading some good novels and doing projects with them. All but one love to read. They're at the stage where everytime I turn around, they've got their faces in a book. Nice.

Writing--I liked the idea of writing a menu, so I'm expanding it. They are going to create a cafe and make menus, a few recipes, a poster about the grand opening, and write 3 essays about this cafe. One will be persuasive (perhaps a radio advertisement), another will be informational (a food critic column), and the third will be a narrative about the disasterous opening.

Math-An hour and a half of math, so I'll tie in the writing project by creating floor plans and figuring out the measurement of the salad bar and tables, etc. Double and triple some real recipes. I'll spend a bit of time with that, then play board games for the rest of the period. This is an advanced math class, so there's no need to review a darn thing. They deserve a break. So do I.

Science--what else but cook? (in between Bill Nye videos which we never had time to watch....I'm in love with Bill Nye)

Social Studies--I still have to teach a unit on budgets and personal savings, so that will tie in to the cafe project. I'll have to put it together since I haven't done this before.

Looking forward to the last month of school, and the FREEDOM to do what I want.

27. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 19, 2009

Thanks for the wonderful ideas!!! For Social St., I do the economic unit, and even regional and cultural differences, which works in beautifully. Maybe not this year, since my team already has the chocolate project in place, but next year...

28. caslan

caslan Rookie

Apr 19, 2009

Wow... I LOVE these Ideas. We finished our testing on Friday. I thought I was going to DIE! We tested Monday through Friday and some days till almost 1:00. Poor kids... Poor ME! :) I really like your writing unit - the menu is great! I've been wanting to do something like this, but I felt like it was a 'math' subject, and I teach L. Arts. hadn't even thought of it in this light! LOVE it. Thank you Thank you!

For reading, last year, I chose a class novel which all students were to read. Each student was assigned a chapter to teach. Their teach involved summarizing the chapter and creating and typing a 10 question quiz for their classmates to take (the student had to score the quizzes they created since they were the teacher!) , then myself and their classmates scored them with a peer rubric. I'm thinking about asking my students if they would like to do that this year.

Something my 6th grade class has asked to do is to write letters to themselves, and put them in sort of a time capsule, then when they graduate, they want to get them out.

These ideas are REALLY helpful, thanks ya'll! :)

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 19, 2009

Ooh, I love this! I wanted to do one more novel for the last few days, and this sounds like a lot of fun!

30. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Apr 19, 2009

For my math classes, we are going to:

--learn one more new topic and test on it: integers

--review, review, review :)

--read The Math Curse and write a story about our own day of Math Curses

--be "teacher for the day" where groups of students are given different topics to teach for about 10 minutes. This is great review also.

--make math brochures for me to give out to my NEXT year's math students about what they can expect from me, and from this math class

31. tgim

tgim Habitué

Apr 19, 2009

TEACHING! I plan to use every day to get a little more done...I still need to cover capacity and probability and adding 3-digit numbers in math, plus tons of problem solving...I am still working on using quotation marks and commas correctly in English...I want to do lots of mapping in SS...Dictionary skills can always use more exposure...and LOTS of writing! :woot: I always have the 2nd graders write a printed letter for the new kids next year telling them something to "look forward to" and something to "look out for" in our class. It is a hoot to see what they can come up with - plus they have such trouble printing again now that they are used to cursive finally!

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2009

I aim to make learning 'fun' and engaging all year. I am passionate about what I teach and that enthusiasm carries through to my kids. I still have content to teach- I truly don't understand teachers who say they are 'done'..I do get that testing is done and you have touched upon most content areaas, but surely there are things you could cycle back to and go deeper with. Over the next 2 months, I will be teaching: sun & moon, the rainforest, national symbols, measuring, geometry and intro multiplication in math, have a poetry celebration, reading, reading, reading....there are great hands on, engaging, 'fun' things I do with all of the fore-mentioned. The focus is on the content though, not just planning for fun. If you will share what content areas you might like to re-visit, perhaps we could help you brainstorm some engaging activities and lessons.

33. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 19, 2009

Social Studies: Asia
    Science: Simple Machines
    Writing: Insect Research Project and I'm not sure what else!! But they need to do some imaginative narratives.
    Reading: We are finishing up nonfiction and starting synthesis!
    Math: Multiplication concepts, problem solving, discrete math

34. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 20, 2009

I do this with my 9th graders during the economics portion of the year. They have to create their own candy bar, survey other classes about ingredients and do all that you say-except the voting part. They love it.

35. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 20, 2009

In the hs our big state test isn't til May 11. We have divided our semester exams into two weeks of may 18/may 25. Our last day has been moved for kids to June 4th. 9th grade-going through geography. 10th-getting them to WW1

36. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 20, 2009

How awesome-and we are both from Ohio!!! :haha:

37. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 26, 2009

'Freedom from textbooks and requirements and THE TEST looming over me.' So true!! That is how I feel too! Though last week, I did something for review for state test that was also so much fun & I want to continue. I have these 'Test Toppers' (for both languages) that I cut out & laminated & posted all around the room. I also drew about 13 columns big enough for the magnets I use to represent each student participating. They had to do each reading task & check with me to see if it was right so that they could move their magnet. I would play music so that where they land in the room that would be the question they would have to answer. The kids so love it! I want to do more stuff like this on the reading side. Now, that I will be able to do all in English for the last few weeks, it opens up so many possibilities.

This week we are doing a read-a-thon for the day that we are not testing but another grade level is. This consist of doing different reading activities in different rooms throughout the grade level.

I also plan on concentrating on cognates to transition my bilingual students to English as well as preparing them for 5th grade. Would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

38. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2009

Governors Fitness Challenge (in Fla), softball, tball, archery,maybe some horse shoes, water day at one school, faculty softball game at the other,
    endure the heat (may hit 90 this week) and look for that "high paying" summer job. ;)

39. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2009

Ideas:
    Teach them UNO or other card games
    Teach them board games (Sorry, Blokus, Scattergories)
    Father's Day project
    Bubbles unit
    Read by flashlights
    Make June, July, August calendars

We have a 'bike rodeo' for grades 2-5.
    We use the parking lot and chalk to mark out courses.
    The kids bring in their bikes (we ask for some extras).
    We practice turn signals.
    Weaving between cones.
    One race is who can go the slowest without putting feet down.
    One is to continue biking in a straight line while looking back to see how many fingers I am holding up.
    This year our county PD is offering helmets for $5 and some free too.

40. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2009

We actually have a bike race during my field day for grades 2-5.
    They do a 500 yard lap twice around the playground. Done it for 15 years with no accident yet.
    The local sheriff's office brought them ALL free bike helmets last year.

41. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 27, 2009

The A.P. Psychology exam is May 12. After the exam, I am going to do fun and interesting psychological experiments with my students. They are going to go out and around town as various types of people (pregnant teenager, old lady) and observe how they are treated differently. Some of them will take surveys or initiate dialogues to explore concepts like cognitive dissonance. My students are actually looking forward to it because it is more relaxed but they will still learn something after the A.P. And they will get to put all their textbook knowledge to use!

As for my music students, we are mostly preparing for the graduation concert. The Seniors have it easy now and are just coasting along since they don't perform in their own graduation. They only have to worry about the end-of-the-year assembly, which is just two short songs.