So upset right now!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mre0609, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

I just found out that a girl I know just got hired to be a Math teacher at the local high school. She just finished her Bachelor's in Criminal Justice and will be leaving her job as a secretary with the department of corrections. I on the other hand, have not even been offered an interview for any teaching positions and I am 2 classes away from getting my licensure in Middle/Secondary Ed. I've already passed the Praxis. I already have a Master's degree in Educational Technology. I've worked in higher ed for 8 years. From knowing her, she has no experience what-so-ever in education. How is this fair?! I know life isn't fair, but I just needed to vent.

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 20, 2014

Was she hired without a license to teach?

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

You are right - life isn't fair! There is no way to understand the way some people think when it comes to hiring, but maybe she just interviews exceedingly well, which is her strength, not a slam against you. Had you also applied for this job, or are you just frustrated over all?

5. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

Yes she was hired without a license. She was hired without even being in a licensure program. I'm assuming she will have to begin working towards her licensure through an alt. route. Oh well, at least this motivates me to apply for whatever position comes available whether I know the subject or not (sarcasm). I am just venting. I am sorry for her students who will be in a class where the teacher has no knowledge of the subject taught. I'm not even a teacher yet, and I can already see the frustrations!

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

Can you be absolutely certain that she isn't a math whiz with a minor in math? I don't know where you are, but most states have requirements about the amount of credits that a teacher must have, alternate route or not. I suspect there is more to her transcript than you may realize, not to take away from your frustration. I also suspect that she may be bringing something to the table that you just don't know about. Take some deep breaths, realize it is not personal, since I still don't know if you applied for this position. They can only hire from the applicants.

7. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

I am absolutely certain she doesn't have a minor in Math. I know her and her educational background, and that is the problem of why I am so upset. I am in the mtns of NC.

8. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 20, 2014

Is the school private?

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

Did you apply for the same position?

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 20, 2014

Keep applying for jobs, stop feeling sorry for yourself, and move on. You can't worry about what other people are doing. That takes energy away from finding yourself a job.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

I agree with this advice. I understand your frustration. You need to focus on your own job search and making sure you're putting your best foot forward each and every time.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 20, 2014

I'm actually curious to know what kind of school hires a teacher who doesn't have a license, background in the subject, student teaching, etc. Not sure I'd want to work there myself.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

I'm going with TeacherNY on this. You have to apply to be considered, and you can't focus on who they hire, other than to learn about "what is selling", so to speak. "I am 2 classes away from getting my licensure in Middle/Secondary Ed. I've already passed the Praxis. I already have a Master's degree in Educational Technology. I've worked in higher ed for 8 years." You still have classes to finish for your certification, if I read that right, so just finish the education and use the time to hone your skills and build your impressive resume. Your frustration only eats at you. Do your best, and accept that you can't always know what goes on during the hiring process. Wish the "friend" well - it is the kind thing to do. If you can't do that, at least bottle the animosity - it isn't her fault they chose her! Be the best YOU can be. That you can control.

14. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 20, 2014

I feel your pain 110% Mre. This has happened to me two years in a row with my home school district. I went there, subbed there, am involved in a gazillion community activities... No jobs for two years. But watched the jobs go to people with lower credentials and no experience. Usually because "daddy's money".

It's totally frustrating and completely unfair. It goes against everything a teacher stands for really. Vent away!!! That's all you really can do unfortunately.

15. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 20, 2014

Is she young and attractive or related to someone on the school board?

16. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 20, 2014

Yeah, that total sucks and does not seem fair. I don't understand how that happens either. I see people just graduate from their undergrad and get hired. I have master's degree and 2 yrs experience (great references) and I can't seem to land a job. Good luck to you!

17. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

@milsey
    no, no, and no LOL.
    That's why I'm trying to rack my brain on this one. Just in shock.:dizzy:

18. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

Agree

I already have multiple licenses and I can't even get interviews. I had a whopping two interviews this summer for the same school and never heard back. Meanwhile they reposted all 15 jobs that were posted in June. I am older, so that may be a reason, but I come with a heavy duty technical background that would benefit any school district. So, yes I am puzzled too:dizzy:
    As for your friend, don't fret about it. These things usually work themselves out. Saw it over and over in Corporate America. I was young once too, and was promoted above others, and received perks that others didn't and I am sure people said the same about me. I figure that my time will come. Yours will too.:thumb:

19. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

But I'm not old! Lol. Anyways, I'm not going to focus on that, I'm going to turn it into motivation. The reason I know about this girls work history, education, is because she applied for a job in my office and we didn't interview her because she wasn't qualified.

20. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

Something's not adding up here. You know she's a secretary and just finished her BA in Criminal Justice and doesn't have certification.

Yet you're paperwork qualified. She has something that you either missed or don't know about.

I have always found it interesting when those who say I have my BA and MA and can't get a job. Maybe it's like in corporate America where they'll hire the BA in business with 2 years experience as a admin. assistant vs the one who went straight from BA to MBA. Paper qualified but no experience outside of what's required for the degree (internships, etc).

That was my reason for not going straight to grad school. That and I really wanted to make some good money off my BA before adding more money on top of it and be drowning. I'm treading nicely but I'd be Titanic sinking had I not started working right away. It just wasn't worth it for me.

I know you said you've worked in higher education but something is missing here that you may not know.

21. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

I don't know what I'm missing, 8 years of experience in higher ed. I'm 30 years old. Oh well, like the other poster stated, I'm questioning if I would want to work for that district anyways.

22. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

Would you mind if asked what "higher ed" was?

23. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

Higher education...university system. We teach the teachers!

24. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

So, with a bachelors degree you taught at the college level? Just curious.

25. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

I have a masters

26. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

Congrats on the master's at 22, which is what I am calculating your age to have been. I am sure that the instruction you did at the college level was very specific, dealing with students who wanted or needed the coursework to graduate. Teaching at college is not the same as K-12, so some HR people may not hold it in the same high regard that you do, no offense intended. I taught the second year microbiology lab at a veterinarinary school and it didn't make any difference when looking for a job. Too much difference between vet students and middle school students. The master's that you are working on now may make you infinitely more attractive to those who hire. It is a matter of comparing apples to apples instead of apples to oranges, IMHO.

27. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 21, 2014

Just curious...you taught teachers w/out having any teaching experience yourself?

As far as the predicament, I agree w/the other posters. Just finish up your degree and certs. You will definitely be more marketable then. You have to really try not to think about the other person's luck. You may not know everything about her background or who she knows from being on that hiring committee. Good luck!