So upset right now... :(

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 15, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 15, 2011

I just got an email from my former principal regarding classroom library books.

When I moved to my new school, I took all of my classroom library books, except for a few (maybe 30 out of the hundreds that I have). I have been buying books from Scholastic book clubs since I was a freshmen in college. When I started at my former school, there were only maybe 20 books in the classroom, so I was very glad that I started my collection so early!

So, I just got an email from my former P saying, "It looks like you took all of your books. Is that true? If so, then you need to return any books that you did not pay for." (!!!!!!!!!!!) Does he really think I would steal books?!! The sad thing is, I don't have any proof of the books that I purchased. I ordered them from book clubs in college and in the past 3 years, and you don't really get a receipt. I also purchased many from rummage sales and thrift stores, so I don't have receipts for those.

The thing that really upsets me is that I apparently was supposed to keep any books that I got as the result of book fair money. (When the book fair is over, each teacher gets to pick out a certain amount of books, based on book fair sales.) I can understand this, but the problem is that I have no idea which books in my classroom library are the result of the book fair. NO CLUE!

I feel really hurt that he thinks I would steal books, and stressed about trying to figure out which books are from the book fair. :( I sent an email asking if I could write out a check to the school, because I wouldn't even know where to start.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

Explain that you have spent your own money as well as time collecting books from Scholastic to build up what was essentially a 20 book library...you could send over a box of books to re- start the classroom library, but you should not have to return all of the books that you accumulated thru your own resources....eek. Not a good situation to be in.:eek:

In the future mark YOUR books differently than the books the school buys or from book sales. For example, I put my last name on MY books and 3-last initial on school purchased books.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 15, 2011

I'll definitely have to start doing this. The thing is, the school gave me $0 for books the whole time I was there. The only books I received from the school were the book fair books. I didn't really think about labeling them differently at the time.

It's weird because the teacher who is taking my place has been teaching in the district for about 13 years. She should have quite a few books of her own, so it's not like a brand-new teacher that doesn't have anything.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

Call the former P or email him with what you have said here. You have done nothing wrong but admins talk...you don't want anything negative following you to your new school. I'd make a good faith effort to put together a box of what may have been book fair books and send it over with a note that you thought those books were a gift to you and that any books you still have were collected by you without school funds.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 15, 2011

I would just tell him that you only took the books that personally belonged to you. He also can't prove that they belong to the school unless there is a receipt or purchase order for any specific books.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 15, 2011

Every year, I keep a personal book inventory, and a school book inventory. I have done this since my first year, and situations like this make me glad I did. I don't have a huge library, but enough that I wouldn't want to lose it.

DP, don't send them a check! If necessary, pick out books that are comparable to book fair books, the correct number, and return those. You shouldn't have to pay for your own books!

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 15, 2011

I agree! I wouldn't even hint at not being sure if the books belong to me or not. That sux though and I hope you can work it out! ;)

9. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 15, 2011

I bought a stamp (for free) from Vista Print that says "Property of Mrs. D***" Any book that I buy myself gets this stamp. Very easy and neat!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

Great idea!:thumb:

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 15, 2011

I agree, I would think about an estimate of how much yoou were given in book fair money and make a box up, start with stuff you have mutiple copies of and see where that gets you and let the P know that you bought the books yourslef and how many books were there when you started.

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

Just a thought--if you have purchased most of your books from Scholastic, can't you log in to your account and see all your previous invoices?

13. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 15, 2011

This makes me nervous-- 75% of the things in my classroom were purchased with my own money. If I went to a new school there wouldn't be much left but the materials from the reading and math programs and the basic furniture! : /

14. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 15, 2011

This year I moved into a new school at a new grade level. This will be the third school in the district that I have taught at in 5 years. Each time I have moved into a new classroom I have been screwed over by the teacher who was in the room before - they took things that didn't belong to them such as manipulatives and other curriculum materials that belonged to the school. I am very careful about labeling what I have bought and I have a great memory of what was in the classroom when I moved into the classroom. Therefore, when I have moved out of the classrooms I am always sure to leave what was in the room when I got there and what was purchased with school funds while I was in the room. After this third move and again dealing with frustration from missing curriculum materials, I think that someone, somewhere should institute an inventory process for teachers going into and out of classrooms. Before a teacher moves in, an inventory should be taken of what is in the classroom. Then, when the teacher moves out, a supervisor should have to re-inventory the room making sure that what was in the room before is still in there for the next teacher. I always read posts about stuff like this and it gets me so angry. I am certainly going to bring this up to the principal when she is back at school for the year. *stepping off my soapbox now. Thank you!*

15. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 15, 2011

I was going to post this, too. It has been a great investment! It's also good for teaching books so people remember who they borrowed it from.

16. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 15, 2011

I would also put the date in that you recieved the book. I know how you feel. When I leave, my books go with me. Might need a UHaul though. :lol:

17. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

Yea! Don't let them bully you into giving YOUR books away! You started with 20, and you left them with 30- that is 10 more than they gave you.

Saying you will write a check is saying you took things that don't belong to you...which is not the case. When you do scholastic and get points, you earned those books- same thing with the book fair, it doesn't matter if it was mail away or instantly at hte book fair- your students paid for books and you got a percentage back in books.

Just curious, are you working for the same district still?

18. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

I would tell the P what you told us.

Our district bar codes all things that belong to the district. Now I see why. I guess I won't complain whenever I need to go get a book barcoded that belongs to the school (they can't ever say I stole anything if my acct is clear!)

19. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 15, 2011

I am sorry, please do not let this make you feel sick. I agree with everyone else, tell him you took what was yours and leave it at that. You are done there so .. look forward to the place you are now ((hug)) how totally stressful!

20. srawolf

srawolf Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

I agree with what others have said about labeling. I have two pages of stickers right next to my class library. One has labels that just say the school name and the other says "This book belongs to Sra. Wolf." I make sure to stick the appropriate label on every new book that comes in my room. It helped a lot because up until this year I have shared a classroom and before the end of last year I was able to quickly sort the books to be sure I kept the ones that were mine.

21. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 15, 2011

There were no books left for me other than an old ratty set of thesauri and a class set of dictionaries. All others are a result of going to Goodwill, garage sale, or were bought with points earned based on the number of books kids ordered from Scholastic. I inherited a ton of books from a woman who just retired.

I agree, do NOT send a check, send those you think the kids were least interested in, and some duplicates. I think he is being entirely unreasonable!

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 15, 2011

That's how I thought about it when I took all of my books along.

And, yes, I'm still in the same district. I actually teach at the school where my former P's kids go.

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2011

I would definitely explain this to him, and as it was suggested, start stamping your books. If you can get a historical printout from Scholastic, I would do that as well.

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 15, 2011

If I got a printout from Scholastic, it wouldn't even show half of my books. I bought so many of them when I was in college from teachers at the school where I did after-school care. I already offered to write a check, but I haven't heard back from him yet. I'm guessing he doesn't really know what to do, either. I think I'll wait for his response, and then suggest what you guys said about just sending a box of books.

It's just silly how much of my own money I have spent over the past 3 years in consumables and other classroom supplies. I can't take a few books with me, which I picked out? I saw them as gifts. Ugh!

25. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 15, 2011

My county has a regulation that books earned by student purchases in book clubs belong to the school. I don't think it is heavily enforced, though. Regardless, they aren't supposed to let you check out at the end of the year if you owe something. They shouldn't be coming to you now, especially if they can't tell you exactly what you need to return.

26. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

Even with going by that...she working in the same district=the same taxpayers.

It doesn't matter as you've done nothing wrong, and I'm sure he will understand once he gets the details- he was probably oblivious to what was there when you started, but Will you have the principals kids??

27. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 15, 2011

I agree...I have been out of the school for about 6 weeks now! And I was so careful to leave behind anything that the school purchased. I highly doubt most people are as careful as I was when they switch schools. I left behind a lot of great stuff (that I would have loved to take along!) because it was the right thing to do. And then I get accused of stealing. :(

28. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

also, a lot of people mentioned a stamper- I print labels (like the address kind off the computer Property of Ms.Pcdiva and put a little clip art on it) Its so easy, I got the stamper from vista but sometimes its smudges so I went that route- just an idea.

29. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

I would estimate the number of book fair books and pick out that number of books to return to the school and tell the principal that this is your estimate of book fair books. I am sorry about this issue. I would not take the book fair books though, anything not purchased through my money does not belong to me.

30. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 16, 2011

What a headache DP! I'm sorry you are dealing with all this.

Our school also stamps anything that's their property-they've become much better about collecting up materials at the end of the year and doing an inventory, so it can't get mixed in with personal property.

I think stamping books is fine, but you still may have to prove (with receipts and such) that they were bought with your funds-you could be stamping their books with your name.

I think it's ridiculous some schools keep books bought with bonus points from Scholastic-to me that's payback for all the work of keeping up with book orders!

31. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 16, 2011

I still haven't heard from him, so I just sent another email saying that I put a box of books together, which I will send over. I can remember some books, and then I'll just send books that I have multiple copies of.

I also suggested to him that he lets teachers know that book fair books are school property, because I'm pretty sure no one knows this. A teacher just retired last year, and she sold of of her classroom library books. Also, since there weren't any books in my classroom when I started at the school, that means the teacher who was in my classroom took all of her book fair books to her new school.

AND, I ran into a teacher from my previous school yesterday, and apparently my P was telling other teachers that I took books that I shouldn't have taken. Nice.

32. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

I'm sorry.

Honestly though, after reading some of your other posts regarding your situation and what you've said here, I don't get the sense this is really about the books. It seems like he is harboring some type of ill feelings towards you and this is just something to pick at.

I know it's upsetting, but I would try not to let it get to you and enjoy your fresh start. Best wishes!

33. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 16, 2011

Yeah, that's kind of what I think...

I'm over it already...Moving on! ;)

34. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Aug 16, 2011

I write my last name on the outside with a black sharpie if it's mine. I write the school initials if it was there before I started or if it was acquired through school funds or donated while I was there. At the end of the school year, I also remove the books with my name on them and take them home for the summer. That way if any comes into my classroom during the summer, none will "walk" nor will anyone visually or physically inventory my personal books. I am very possessive of my own books!;)

35. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 16, 2011

I guess I'm lucky... our district doesn't provide any books nor claim any book that isn't in the school library. If it came from a book club/fair, it is your personal book. Most retiring teachers here either take their entire classroom library or sell/give it away. There's never been an issue over books.... materials/supplements for lessons are another story.

Good luck with it though DP. I find it extremely unprofessional that the old P is telling everyone you took books you weren't supposed to take.

36. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Aug 16, 2011

+1

:agreed:

37. jleardini

jleardini Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

Be Careful!

Many times when an administrator hears a suggestions like this, they take the person who suggested it and put them in charge of doing it. Like teachers don't have enough to do. I agree that it's worth it to have the peace of mind, but how long before other teachers get slack on it and you have to pick up after them.

38. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

Whew thats an extremely sticky situation. I would hate to have to return books. I have worked so hard with purchasing books, doing projects on donors choose and going to thrift stores to buy books. I do put my name in ALL books that are personally mine. So it should be fairly easy to spot books that belong to the school.

Please keep us posted on what he says!

39. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 16, 2011

Sometimes the powers that be just want something to be able to harp on when you leave. When I left my last school I followed protocol and resigned well before the deadline. Well the asst. super. was outright rude the couple times I had to speak with her. Several times she said "make sure you leave anything that is owned by XXXX school district." It was her tone & the fact that she said it several times that ticked me off. :mad: I left my room in better condition than I found it including leaving a large area rug and my whole song library for the next teacher. I even left my phone number in case the new teacher had questions. I didn't leave on bad terms and luckily my principals were supportive. I stopped answering the phone when the district number came up. That's why there's voicemail. ;)

40. suebee

suebee Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

My former principal and I didn't get along at ALL, especially by the end, namely because she's an idiot :)

That being said, she made it clear that I wasn't to take anything that was bought with school money. If I'd wanted to, I could have taken anything I wanted, because there was NO way of tracking it and where that stuff was by the time I left.

I agree with another poster that it sounds like your P is bitter you left, or maybe you had personal issues with each other, because it sounds like it's more than some missing books.

If you continue to hear that the P is talking about you, you might look into filing a grievance for slander/libel, since he's telling others things about you that are baseless and untrue.

41. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2011

:mad:
    For a P to go around, telling other teachers this, just proves how immature and unprofessional this P is. Be glad you are not working with this P anymore. Send that box over and just be done with it all.