So upset I can't even stand it!!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by TheConspiracy, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2006

I had floating teachers in middle/high school, and they had ample storage space, though it differs from school to school. They still seemed to teach us all the procedures we needed, even in science, and that can be difficult.

Bring chart paper that sticks to the board to help you out at the beginning of the year... so you can post rules and procedures on there and have it handy.

2. zubie75082

zubie75082 Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Any other suggestions? I hate the idea of having to do this for an entire year... that is such a long time. :(

3. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Hey there Zubie-

I know how you are feeling right now. I felt so let down and confused because I had spent quite a bit of time envisioning all the great things I would do with my first classroom - environment can be so important.

However, time is of the essence as the school year is getting close and your attitude about this challenge will make or break your first year. So I can only suggest what I did - I gave myself a short period of time to cry and pout - and then I set a deadline and I moved on. Now I feel much better about things and I have readjusted my ideas and my inner visions to match up with reality.

I just know that my cart will see some pink sparkles and fuzzy dice in its future.

As for technology - might I suggest a personal investment (if finances permit)? My husband and I had already prioritized purchasing a laptop (the school computers are mac and I can't hang with macs) and I bought an overhead projector a while ago for another purpose. I got a nice portable one from e-bay for about $80. I see it now as being a better investment than ever!

Best of luck.

BTW- look back int he post for the desk apprentice - that thing will be SWEET on my cart - and I bought a great rolly luggage thing from staples that holds hanging folders and many other things for about $80 so I can transport things into and out of my car much easier.

We should form out own support group. :)

~J

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2006

Honestly, before you get all down on your job and yourself, give it a try. It doesn't have to be as bad as you're imagining. In our school, floaters are a fact. Each of us knows it. Our desks are supplied with all the office supplies, and any teacher is free to use them.There's an overhead in each room already.Each teacher makes up a seating plan and keeps it in the room, so the desk arrangements aren't changed. As I leave the room, I clean the boards (or get a volunteer to do it) so they're clean for the next teacher.

In high school (and I assume middle school) it's really no big deal.

In fact, when I was rehired in June (after a childcare absense of 6 years) the principal offered to let me have no homeroom--that would have made me a floater. He did it so that I wouldn't have to be there for homeroom if childcare were a problem. I already had the childcare thing under control, so I didn't take him up on his offer, but it was a generous thing. Had my arrangements not been made, I would have accepted gratefully.

5. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Jul 21, 2006

Just think of yourself as a 'professor'. You will have an office and not a classroom. :) You can even post 'office' hours. :)

6. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 21, 2006

Instead of having a cart, last year I was in two rooms - English in a room in the building and Reading in a trailer. Luckily I had two hours straight in one and then three in the other. However, I found that if I kept the subjects separate it made it much easier. I also became a much better planner. When you share rooms with other teachers, it really makes you appreciate your desk, wherever it may be, much more. I never kept anything in the trailer, I carried it with me between the two rooms. I would definitely agree that you need to talk with the other teachers about bulletin/white board space as well as room arrangement.

Good luck!

7. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Jul 21, 2006

Consider yourself luck if you have a cart for 2 years I was a Special Ed resource floater and taught 4 different subjects in 4 different classrooms and I carried my class on my back in my bag. I did although, have an office and kids knew they could find me after school and during my helping teacher hours, this will be my first time back in a classroom since 8 years and this time I have a classroom, I am not an organized person, this made me an organized person as sad as I was about it at first I enjoyed it.. Each teacher let me have Bulletin board space and they knew they were sharing the room so blackboard space was not an issue either.

I say take it and learn from it I think floating makes you a stronger teacher in many areas.

8. ms jay

ms jay New Member

Jul 21, 2006

I get the anger!

Sorry to hear this, I'm in the same boat...I have to change my classroom every 3 weeks. I refuse to let it get me down. Ask your principal if she/he has portable bulletin boards. That is one thing I got and it makes it so nice not to have to deal with the "boards" that are in each room. The positive is that I get the opportunity to get to know each teacher on a deeper level, as well as perfect my flexibility skills. My staff is wonderful and very supportive, the teachers help move my classroom and allow me to delegate my preferences. I spoke with the teacher who roved last year and she said it's a hassle but not that bad. I will not have to rove again for at least 7 years! I also had other offers that were in schools where I didn't have to rove, but this staff and administration was better. My principal has money and is not afraid to spend it on teacher needs.

Best of luck to you, this will be a year to remember.

9. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 21, 2006

10. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Jul 21, 2006

That is odd because it worked for me. Hmmmm

11. carolynd

carolynd Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

Nervous New Teacher

I will also be a floater for my first year as a teacher and I am very nervous. I will be floating to six different rooms possibly in different halls. Like others, I was not told of this when I accepted the job and didn't know that this was common in high schools. Has anyone else had to float to this many different rooms? What about the other teachers - do they stay in the room for their planning or leave?
    I will be teaching Algebra to ninth graders. Does anyone have any ideas on having a place for my students to come for before/after school tutoring?
    Also I will not have a desk or space to store my things, any suggestions?
    :confused:

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 30, 2006

carolynd, Ask the janitor, ask the secretary, ask the person who fired you. If there is even a closet or someplace where you can have a small space for your things. Two years ago we cleaned out two closets that had some junk in them on the side of the stage. They have made wonderful rooms for one on one and tutoring. Ask what the person before you kept her things. Tell them you really need something. Surely there is someplace.

Also, ask about a computer. You will need to make lesson plans. Do grade cards and it won't work great to be using another teachers computer.

13. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

Make sure you talk to the teacher whose room you'll be using each hour. Usually they are very cooperative about giving drawer space, shelf space and even bulletin board room. When a teacher had to use my room during my plan time, I always tried to vacate the room quickly and with everything I needed so I wouldn't have to interrupt class. Work out who will be in the room during passing time though. I tried to stay at least until she arrived so the kids weren't alone to do anything they shouldn't. The teacher needs to remember that you have to get from one place to another and deal with kids who want to talk to you as the bell is ringing. Be patient. And remember to get an elevator key if there is one. Small detail, but important.

14. carolynd

carolynd Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

Thanks for the info, I am going to the school tomorrow to meet with the assisstant principal and I have a list of questions. During my interview I was asked about my willingness to stay after school or come in early to help struggling students, surely they will have to find some place for me to provide this help. I was told by the secretary that I would have to get a cart to carry my things around, so I am assuming that it is my responsibility to purchase one?

15. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 30, 2006

I'd ask if they will pay for the cart. And also what about a computer? My favorite-----The wheel that squeaks gets grease.

16. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2006

Carts are expensive. You shouldn't have to pay for that yourself! Speak to the principal and find out how to order one or if perhaps there is an extra AV cart in a storeroom.

17. carolynd

carolynd Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

I will ask about the cart today when I go to the school. As for the computer, I am a bit worried about that. I have a laptop, but the school uses an intranet system for role, grades, etc. If I am using someone's room and they choose to stay I suppose that they will know that I need to use the computer to take roll when class starts. This particular district requires that roll be taken in the first ten minutes of class and submitted to the office via the computer.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2006

I have never heard of a teacher staying in his or her own room with another class coming in. I don't think it will be an issue at all.

19. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2006

We share rooms in my junior high. In fact, I've never had a room "all to myself". I often stay in my room and work at my desk when other teachers have class in my room, just as others have stayed in when I've taught in their rooms. We are just careful not to distrupt (for example, I would never make a phone call while another teacher is using my room). It is interesting; sometimes we end up participating in each other's lessons, and the kids get to see sharing and cooperation at work.

20. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 31, 2006

I shared a room the first two years I taught. We blocked off the teachers desk with a file cabinet and a bookcase. We could see, but the students couldn't. It gave each a private work area and yet we were there for each other. We each had a place for our stuff. Half the desk drawers were hers and the others were mine. We shared the center drawer and etc. We are best friends six years later.

21. carolynd

carolynd Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

I just talked with the asst. principal and she said that most of the teachers do stay in the room while the other teacher is using their class. This is because it is their planning period. I was told that I would be provided with a cart, and a set of textbooks and calculators to carry on my cart to each class. This was something I was concerned about, so I was relieved to hear this. (In this district the students are provided with books to keep at home and there is also a set in the classroom)

I will be getting a desk somewhere, but that has not been ironed out yet. It will probably be in another teachers room. Anyway it is what it is. I am glad to have the job and will try to make the most out of the situation. :)

22. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 1, 2006

Good Attitude-copy that part down about being glad to have a job and tape it to your cart to read when days are difficult.

23. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

Hi I am just going to be a second year teacher and last year i was only in two rooms---but this year three, so I know where you are coming from. In each room, I just had one bulletin board--but I did hang inspirational posters around the room. Also, here are a few things I found really helpful:
    1. get to school early and to be alone in each of your classrooms--i would write the agenda & put my copies in each of the rooms it needed to be in
    2. don't hang around in the classroom if you are not teaching in it and someone else is...i didn't have this problem, but i know several teachers who do! it makes it ugly at work
    3. be really nice to the teachers you share rooms with---both of mine let me have a few shelfs of storage space & a file drawer (or two). The file drawer was a must to keep your extra copies and important info--and you want it in a drawer to keep it personal

ok thanks for posting this---everyone's comments & suggestinos have helped soo much!!!