So upset I can't even stand it!!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by TheConspiracy, Jul 5, 2006.

1. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 5, 2006

Well- I found out today WHY I haven't gottn to see my classroom yet.

I DONT HAVE ONE!

I am fuming! The school that hired me never disclosed this to me and I had sooooo many other job offers I could have taken. And I never would have accepted the position if I was told I would be floating through 3 other teachers classrooms. I was trying not to throw up today when I was told this. I feel VERY VERY miseld and like this was a baddddd chioce (if not for the situation itself but for the lack of ethics in how the school delt with the situation - they apparently knew about this before they hired me.)

HOWEVER.....

It is what it is. I have already signed my contract and misled or no I'm not in a position to get another job - or to leave this school hgih and dry. So - what I really need is some positive encouragement and some creative ways of dealing with this. The school is giving me a "cart" apparently and so I will at leas have some place to put my stuff.

Soooooo... I need some ideas, suggestions, etc on hwo to make this work out well for me. I already absolutely plan on seeking another job next year if they are still unable to provide me with my own classroom - but for this year I am determined not to be miserable over this.

~J

PS~ Please no posts telling me how terrible this is going to be. I have played that scene over and over in my head for the last 8 hours since I found out. I just don't have the stomach for it anymore. I need positive and constructive comments only, please!

PPS~ At least I got a copy of my text books today. :)

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 5, 2006

The fact that you are sticking with this job eventhough you don't have a classroom tells me you are a great teacher, and your students will be lucky to have you.(what grade-level are you teaching?)

4. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 5, 2006

9th and 10th grade.

~J

5. VegasLibra

VegasLibra Companion

Jul 5, 2006

I just met another teacher who had to change classrooms every 5 weeks, she said that after you get the hang of it it just became second nature. Hopefully the 3 other teachers will make some room for you. I'm sure you will have a great year regarles. Good Luck

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 5, 2006

You will not have to look at the same four walls all day long. (BORING) Change of scenery.;)

7. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

Just think! You won't get bogged down with 'stuff.' :)

It's great how you are determined to make the best of this situation. Good for you! Your attitude shows what you are made of... it has to be all good!! Your students are sooo lucky to have you.

8. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 5, 2006

lol.... you're right. At least I will be foreced to streamline myself. :)

Good teacher - will travel. ;)

And I plan on decorating myself one heck of a snazzy cart. Can we say pink glitter?

~J

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 5, 2006

No messy desk to clean at the end of the day!!!!

10. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2006

No place for the "pile" to collect....you know the one that appears and you never seem to do anything with!!

No classroom to clean.....no seating arragements to make....no bulliten boards to create....

see this wont be so bad!!

Oh, and yes...decorate the heck out of your cart....let everyone see you coming from a mile away!!

11. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

I knew of a teacher that had to switch between two classrooms. She spoke with the other two teachers in advance and they left some room for her to have a bulletin board or two and an area to put some resources. Perhaps these teachers will do that for you too. :)

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

I've done the traveling thing before. There was a time when our school tried keeping Seniors in the Senior hallway, Juniors in the Junior hallway and so on. Just about every teacher (and there are like 90 of us!!) would travel from one hallway to another. So the chairman and I, with both of us teaching both levels, would pass each other several times a day. (I could guage how much time I had by where I passed Nick in the hallway.) They just did it that one year; the kids had too much time to hang out and the teachers were so busy traveling that we weren't able to do a great job supervising the hallways.

The last poster had a solid idea. Speak to the people you'll be sharing rooms with: see if each can give you some room.

On your cart, think about:
    -a copy of each textbook/workbook you'll be using (or can you get several copies, one for each room? That's what Nick and I did, and it was so much easier. We didn't have carts or anything.)
    -a vertical file so you'll always have the right papers to give back
    -a pencil case type of thing so you'll always have writing instruments
    -your plan book/attendance list/seating charts
    -your prep materials.

You spoke at one time about getting a Rubbermaid bin to hold journals: will there be a place before or after school where the kids can have access to you-- maybe the last room you teach in-- so they can get those to you on their way out the door? You'll want to give this some thought and find a way.

Honestly, this is a nuisance, not a real crisis. My friend did it in Chemistry in a different school a few years ago, with 3 rooms just like you. Lots of teachers in my school do it; we just share rooms. So, while my principal and I discussed my having a homeroom, I'm pretty sure that I won't have access to my room for all my free periods. Since high school teachers don't teach all 9 periods, it pretty much has to happen in order to make best use of the classrooms. It's actually pretty common-- schools have more teachers than homerooms. So it looks like you'll have homeroom period as an extra prep period.

Try not to let it color your view of the administration or the school year. You got a job teaching the subject you want in the grades you want in the district you want in a brutally tight market. They didn't tell you because there's nothing really unusual in your situation. It IS a nuisance, and not what you were hoping for. But hang in there; next year you'll be a second year teacher and some other newbie will be traveling to YOUR room.

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2006

Think of all the money you will save not having to decorate a room. I was a cart teacher myself. I didn't mind it at all. It worked out fine,and I still made the same money I would have had I had a classroom.

14. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 6, 2006

Thanks all for such wonderful encouragement! :)

Aliceacc- your advice is wonderful as always.

MissFrizzle - Its nice to see at least one person who has done this that didn't mind doing it. BTW - how many years did you have to do it for?

I'm just wondering how likely I will be to get my own room next year if I stay on.

I was aso thinking about talking to the other 3 teachers about the possibility of giving me a bulletin board or two in each room. However, if they are unwilling - there are lots of bulletin boards in the hallway and I was thinking about asking for one of those - it isn't as convenient as having on in the classroom - but it WILL give me a place to post permanent reminders about test dates, etc in a place all the kids can see them.

The woman I spoke with yesterday said something about seeing if I would be able to put a desk in the storage closet - while I shdder to think about this - it would at lest give me a home-base to drop off things like student journals and to keep copies of handouts and other materials. - Not to mention a place to go during my prep period.

Thanks again everyone! This is a real let-down for me as pretty much every other job I was offered had a classroom that I was aware of (they showed it to me in the interview at 4 of the places) and I guess I just never pictured this as how I wanted to teach. Not to mention that it makes you feel a tad unprofessional and a tad "less than". But - you guys are all making me feel like this is do-able - and like it is not that big of a deal!

~J

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

Most of the teachers I know hang out in the faculty rooms during prep periods. You can do your work with a cup of coffee or tea there.

16. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

I had to float for two years as I taught secondary. It actually was not bad. I felt like I truly got to know my colleagues. I also did not need to spend my hours afterschool cleaning and decorating.

However there were a few things I learned-

Be sure they give you a desk and storage someplace where you can always get to. (At first they gave me a desk in another teacher's room. However, the other teacher did not like people coming in and out of her classroom during class. So, I moved into a much better room after about 3 weeks). Make sure you find a quiet place to make phone calls and check email during the day.

Ask each teacher who you share a classroom with to give you a shelf and a bulletin board.Also make sure you have some room on the whiteboard/chalk board. Ask them to inform you before they move chairs, lend out their overhead, etc.

Decide how you want students to get things to you when they are outside of class. At first I had them put it in my mailbox at the office. However, I soon learned to keep a metal bin in one of the classrooms that I worked in.

Find a place that you can meet with your students afterschool/during breaks,/etc.

Talk with the teachers and decide what you both should do about getting calls during class. We decided that-unless it was a urgent- we would not take messages for it other. We would just refer the caller to the office.

Enjoy!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

18. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 6, 2006

I was also thinking about getting one of those rolly-bag thingies (vocabulary is weak this morning - I need my coffee) you use to travel - the kind with a handle that telescopes - so I can transport my stuff in and out of the school more eaisly and pop down the handle and put it in the cart when I get to school.

I never thought about the whole white-board thing - I hope the other teachers wouldn't be rude enough to leave their stuff up on the board leaving me no place to teach. Not to mention that message left by the other teachers (re:tests etc) might be confusing to my students. I will definitely make sure to let them know I will need @ least 1 whiteboard left clean (or that I can wipe down) for instruction (there were @ least 2-3 in each class).

Fortunately - I actually own my own overhead projector that is VERY lightweight and portable. It would be pretty easy for me to fold down and keep on the top level of my cart. It is pretty nice to have now - so I don't have to be worried about a lack of availability. :) I guess that was a storke of luck.

And I suppose it will save me a nice chunk of change at the beginning of the year having to purchase things to decorate. I suppose I can spend the money on reference materials, work clothes or other doo-dads to make carting my stuff around easier. :) Or shoes.....yeah...more shoe money. :p

~J

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

My good friend, an art teacher, did 'art on a cart' for 2 years. You do what you have to. Our spanish is also a 'traveling' special. Both of them did have 'desks' and file space somewhere in the building. Get yourself some containers, magnetic clips for posters, folders, etc. Think of it this way- you'll be as organized as you will ever be in your life- what a great way to start a teaching career rather than in a room filled with some other teachers old stuff or cast offs. Smile, make the most of it. Be positive- don't let them get you down. Think of how impressed they will be with your 'can do' attitude.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

HIgh school teachers KNOW that other people will be using their room. Most erase the front board at the end of every period and leave reminders (With "Mrs. A's schedule" and "please do not erase!" ) on a side board.

Remember, this is new to you. But the school has been operating this way forever! People pretty much know the rules.

PS: ON the shoe thing, think comfort!!! You'll be standing more than you imagine. Sears has "I love Comfort brand"... nothing too flashy, but pretty standard pumps in a variety of colors. They start at about $20 and go up from there. Happy shopping!!!

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

It could definitely be much worse! When my best friend was first hired to teach she had to swap between two schools, not just two classrooms. She taught 6th grade and had 25 minutes to get from that school to the next where she taught 7th. It wasn't fun, but she said it gave her an appreciation of what she had when she got her own room. Plus, working in several different rooms will give you a better idea of how you want to arrange your own room when you get it. What arrangements work, and what arrangements don't. Good luck!!

22. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

I traveled for a year like that after I had been teacher for a few years. I found it a great way to get new ideas. Since I had always been in my own room, I never really got a chance to see how things were done in other teacher's classes. You'll see a variety of setups and if you observe through the year, you'll start seeing the pros and cons of each. When it's time to set up your own classroom, you'll be even better prepared. (It's kind of the same way we sat back and watched our friends and family who had children before us and learned from their mistakes.)

23. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

I am glad that you are positive, I don't know anything about floating teachers but what I have just read. Just look at the positive and you will make it through the year.....

Don't think of yourself less than a teacher...the only difference is you don't have a classroom...I don't know if you are a first year teacher but consider it as a blessing....decorating and managing a classroom is stress.

Take care...

24. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

I Feel Your Pain

I will be a floating teacher next year as well at my own school. I was very upset when I heard the news however, at least I was told up front. I can fully understand your frustration. This seems to be the new trend in education due to overcrowding these days.

To help, I am keeping a bullititen board up in the 3 rooms I float into to keep updated news and information and to display my students work. I am also moving in a file cabinet to keep my copies of worksheets, student files, and classroom supples locked up in for students as needed. Finally, I am going to keep a web page to let my parents be able to find information since I will not have good access to emails.

If you need anything else, please let me know. We can both make the best of our situations! Don't it let get you down! :)

25. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

Remember that you picked this particular school for reasons other than just a classroom and it's 4 walls. All of those other reasons are still going to be there. I think it could be a great adventure and PLEASE post a picture of your pink sparkly cart when you can! We'd all love to see it!

Christopher

26. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  27. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

I had to float through 4 different classrooms this past year, and it was a learning experience. But, now I feel I can handle anything! here are a few suggestions that I wish someone had told me:

Small cheap totes are great for keeping the small things in. Make sure they close securely, or put a couple of rubber bands around them to keep them closed, in case they fall off the cart. That way, you won't be picking up a zillion small things.

Since I wasn't always able to beat everyone to class, and i had to unpack, I made a sheet each day for the students to pick up as they came in. This has the bell work on it, along with the goals for the day, new vocabulary, class assignments, and homework. This was good for many reasons. It got the kids on task as soon as they got the sheet, so i had a chance to unpack in a sane manner, and if someone was absent, they only needed to get that day's sheet to see what they had missed. (If you want, I can e-mail you a copy of one of my sheets. Just pm me your addy.)

I kept all make-up work in a small file box, which held about 3 weeks worth of work in it. The students knew that it was their responsibility to go to the box and pull the work they had missed. I put the assignment sheet for that day at the front of each set, so that the students could see exactly what day the work was for.

I could go on & on....but here's what it boils down to:
    You will be more organized.
    You will be more organized.
    You will have to be. ;-)

Hope this helps!

Sarah

28. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2006

Conspiracy- to answer your question, I was a floater for a year.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

Also, think about asking for tips on the Secondary Ed board. Floating is very prevalent in HS; I bet there are lots of good ideas out there!

30. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 6, 2006

The closet will give you some place of your own. Go for it. Paint it your favorite light color. Desk, comfortable chair, file cabinet with a lock to keep your purse and special supplies in, a fan, lamps if the lighting is poor.

You are well on your way of making lemonaid from a lemon.

31. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 6, 2006

Thanks so much everyone - it is so good to feel that I am not alone in the world with this and that other people have survived it.

E Bunni - We'll have to get a to z to start their own "floating teacher" BB for us. :)

I think everyone is right - it is more important that I be in a good school than that I have a room of my own.

And you have all had such wonderful advice/tips etc. I really am starting to feel like I have a "plan" to deal with this now.

WITeach- I will DEFINITELY be purchasing one of those desk apprentices! That is FABULUOS!

~J

32. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2006

J, since you know that you will be in 3 rooms, is there a large enough one where they can put a desk for you? I hope that they will see your dedication and commitment and want to give you your own classroom next year! Good luck to you!:D

On a side note...after running my own childcare for many years, I sometimes think I need to break from all the responsibility. So, in other words, it's sometimes nice to not have so much hanging over your head. Maybe this will be a nice way to ease on in without the overload.

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

I forgot all about those apprentices!!! I loved them when I saw them on the show. I think I might meander down to Staples myself!!

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 6, 2006

I, too, was a "floater" for a couple of years. The first year I took a part-time job as an English teacher at the high school . . . and was told after that to go see the middle school principal because they needed one class taught there as well. (That made me teach a 7/10 day.) I knew I'd be floating at the high school because they didn't have NEARLY enough classrooms and all the "new folks" got to float. I started my day at the high school where I taught grades 12, 11, and 9 in three different rooms. Then I drove to the middle school where I taught one 7th grade class.

The next year I taught two classes--7th grade language arts and 8th grade reading--in two different classes, and then I taught homeboud, so I was at FIVE SCHOOLS and then the kid's houses as well. I was queen of the storage crate & tote bag that year. I couldn't even have a cart because of stairs and travelling.

The next year when I took over for a teacher on a leave of absence, I thought I'd died & gone to heaven . . . even thought the room was crappy! When she returned the following year, they gave her another room and I kept hers. I was still thrilled.

35. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 6, 2006

My daughters 10th grade spanish teacher did not have a classroom either. She was given a cart and dealt with it wonderfully. Although she had to push her 'classroom' around on 4 wheels, she kept her chin up. She had everything organized in trays on the shelves of the cart, a pencil holder, and sharpener, grade book etc....She even decorated it with various themes throughout the year. ALthough it was not the best situation, she tried to be positive. I am sure there were days she was not thrilled, but it did not keep her from doing a fantastic job. Good Luck.

36. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 6, 2006

Ima - WOW!!! Okay - I am officially done complaining. If you could do all that and keep your chin up - I have nothing to whine about!!

~J

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2006

You know what?? You're going to be an EXCELLENT teacher!!! You had a huge rebound in the course of one day-- from "Why did I take this job???" to "I know I can do this!" That kind of adaptability will do you well in the classroom!!!

38. pingsrosie

pingsrosie Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Idea

Just think, it could totally be worse.

One word of advice: VELCRO!

You can buy different size ziploc bags to put different things in for the different classes - even papers and assignments (I do this for science fair projects, and you would be surprised how much a large ziploc bag and some velcro can hold). On the back of the ziploc bag, and on the cart, place the velcro. This will keep you organized and you can take things off and put them back on with ease.

Good luck, although I am sure you will be fine.

39. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Jul 7, 2006

Ah yes....welcome to the world that many elementary music teachers live in forever! I spent 10 years pushing a cart up and down the hall.....it IS do-able, though I much prefer having a room.

I've always thought that every classroom teacher should have to be "mobile" for at least a year so they have that unique experience!

Kudos to you for taking the high road and looking for ways to make the whole thing as positive as possible!

40. zubie75082

zubie75082 Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

I just found out today that I too am going to be a floater.. at least 3 different classes, possibly 4. This will be my first year teaching so I am having serious doubts about how successful this year is going to be.. even more so than before.

How do you go about simple things like posting rules and procedures, etc?
    How does this affect student behavior?
    What do you do if 2 of the classes have the necessary technology (projector, overhead, smartboard, etc) but the other doesn't?

I have been crying all afternoon because this is not how I envisioned my first year being at all. I don't have a lot of answers because my principal wasn't at the school today and I got this information from her secretary, but I do know that I will have some sort of office shared with 3 other people.. it better be one big storage closet.

BTW I'm teaching 7th grade math, if that helps :p

41. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 17, 2006

I feel for you! My very first job (also teaching 9th and 10th) I was floating. Things that made it easier: I asked the principal for 3 things
    1) a good sturdy cart to roll my things around
    2) a computer
    3) and a desk set up somewhere w/ some privacy

I was literally put into a closet, but it was quiet and I could get work done.

Good luck!