So upset - classroom flooded over the weekend!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs. R., Aug 24, 2009.

1. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

So I got to school about 7:15 this morning to get some work done before school starts tomorrow. I open my door, notice my floor looks strange, and flick on the light. To my utter dismay, my floor is wet - parts of my classroom have at least an inch of water. My new coffee table that I use for small groups has the veneer peeling off, my new beanbags - soaked. The metal bookshelves have started to rust. I yelled for the custodian - he came and was absolutely shocked. No one noticed over the weekend because my door was closed. Water had been seeping in since Friday night.

Now, my finished classroom is completely disassembled. The custodians hope to have the furniture back in place by tomorrow morning. I have kids at 8:15 AM on Wednesday and meetings ALL DAY tomorrow. Looks like I have a lot of work to do tomorrow evening.

The thing that gets me is that they can't figure out WHERE the water came from. We didn't have huge amounts of rain over the weekend, so it wasn't a case of sump pump failure.

This just really sucks.

(I know, in the grand scheme of things this isn't HUGE. Certainly worse things could have happened.)

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

I am so sorry. I agree, it really sucks. Sending you good "redo the classroom" energy.

4. JennM

JennM Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

I'm sorry for your misfortune! I can't believe something like that could happen! However, you are right in thinking that this is NOT the worst thing possible! It is fixable and definitely not the end of the world. Good luck!!

5. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

That sucks.
    Hopefully you will have some help getting thinks back together.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 24, 2009

Wow, that stinks! Good luck getting it all back together again.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2009

I'm sorry, Mrs. R.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2009

Oh, no! I hope they get all the water out and dehumidify the room. Mold and kid's germs......yuk.

Maybe you can teach in the Media Center for a week or two.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2009

I feel your pain! In 2006, the principal greeted me as I arrived at my room at 6:30 a.m. one November morning with the warning, "You don't want to go in there." A pipe in the HVAC system in the room above me had come loose, and water was pumped through my ceiling all night. By the next morning, more than a third of my ceiling tiles had disintegrated, and there was at least an inch of water in my room, flowing down the hall for at least twenty feet. It was a miracle that all I lost were a few posters - the water missed my LCD projector, which was on a cart at that time. I had to move my classes into whatever rooms were vacant each period for two weeks. Workers cut away the bottom foot of the wallboard, which was finally properly repaired last summer. They told me I could move back into the room after a week, but I had to keep the two huge industrial dehumidifiers running - yeah, right! I couldn't hear myself think!

I hope they find the source of the water so you don't experience another flood! Sending good thoughts your way.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 24, 2009

Bummer!!!

I'd find out where the water came from before I'd settle in and get comfortable again.

If I was closer, I'd help you out.

My room was turned upside down right before school started, they put new carpet in. I was tramatized at the time, but have been so buy since school started I've forgotten all about it.

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

Luckily, cleanup is pretty easy. We don't have carpets (because of past water problems - different ones), and our custodians are fanatical about drying up every last drop of water they can find AS SOON as they find it. When I left the building today (in tears-I just couldn't help it) they were frantically trying to figure out if it was a building problem such as a crack in the foundation from all of the new construction that's going on or if it is a problem with the water main. I'm expecting that my room will be pretty much set to rights when I go in tomorrow for inservice.
    As for teaching elsewhere, there isn't an elsewhere right now, as all of our music, drama, health, and PE classes are relocated during construction. Should be a fun fall.

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2009

We are under construction as well - our little theater, which is the oldest in the district, is being updated and expanded as much as is practical. As a result the entire center quad is fenced off, and the band room was relocated to the old auto shop (that course having gone down to budget cuts). It's going to be like that all year - like you said, a fun time. :rolleyes:

13. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 24, 2009

I cannot imagine coming back to that after setting it up. I am so sorry, are other staff members going to help?

14. traveler

traveler Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

I am so sorry. I hope you have lots of helpers to make it right. Think of it this way, you got the drama of the year over with. The rest of the year is bound to be smooth sailing! Good luck!!

15. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

Geez! What a way to start the year. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Best of luck getting everything fixed!

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 25, 2009

This happened to my teammate last year the day before school. We all joke now that we all didn't run for the hills at that omen :)
    I hope your team pulls together for you and helps you clean up!

It's still going to be a great year!!

17. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2009

I will have lots of help. Several people volunteered to stay after our inservice today and get everything set to rights. Last year I made a vow to be as optimistic as possible at school, and it really helped me stay in a balanced place, even during the most stressful of times. I guess this is my sign that I should make that a goal again this year!

Thanks for all the good wishes. I appreciate them. This is a great place!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2009

I'm glad the people at your school are being so supportive!

19. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2009

I am so sorry that happened!

20. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 25, 2009

oh... I feel for you.

This reminds me of a story my friend told me. It was the beginning of her year as well. Men had been reparing the school's roof all summer, and obviously there was a drainage problem above her room.

One day she walked in the building and the custodian saw her. "Have you been to your room yet?" (no) "well.... know we're working on it.. and be prepared." The whole ceiling had collapsed over her room. (THANK GOD it happened on a weekend...and NOT while anyone was in there!) She and her class were nomads for the next few weeks. The stage, the lunch room, the office conference room, the hallways. (It was a memory, for sure!)

In the end - the school reimbursed her for everything that was lost 9she was able to buy all new things - get rid of things that weren't working-buy all the new things she dreamed of getting). She got new classroom furniture (and she was able to pick it all out). In all...again, as you say.. in the HUGE scheme of things...she sort-of made out well. But it WAS a pain while it was happening.

Best wishes this year. I can imagine you could (and WILL) turn this into a wonderful writing assignment. :)

21. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 26, 2009

Good luck! It is awesome that everyone is being so supportive at your school during this difficult situation.

22. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 26, 2009

Good luck! I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you!