So Unsure!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lnm130, Jun 30, 2010.

1. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jun 30, 2010

So I had my second interview this morning. I'm really not sure how to take it. I was with them for less than 30 minutes, and when the P called me to set up this interview, he said to plan on an hour or an hour and a half. But they started talking about the salary and everything. The Principal kept reminding the panel how extensively we talked on my first interview. One woman asked me if I was nervous, and of course I was! I'm supposed to hear something within the next two days. I am so nervous and unsure. I almost cried while leaving, and I am not a crier!

I did see the interview list on my way out, and it was short. maybe 5-6 people, and they are interviewing for 3-4 positions. The woman before me was in her interview for 3 hours! She has 46 years of experience! I hope she was interviewing for another grade!

This is definitely not the cloud nine feeling I had after the first interview, thats for sure.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2010

Talk about salary is NOT a bad thing!!!!

Don't worry about the candidate before you. She has nothing to do with you. She may been one of those people unable to answer in a sentence if a dissertation will do. Besides, even if they want her, there are still other jobs up for the taking.

So dry your eyes, take some deep breaths, and get going on those thank you notes!!

4. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jun 30, 2010

Thank you, Alice! I was hoping you would reply! Such a positive force on the board!

It's already written, addressed, and stamped. They asked me what type of salary I would want, and I told them it was completely negotiable.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2010

It's entirely possible that the candidate before you is expensive, and they're trying to figure out who they can afford. Your answer may have been an answer to their prayers!

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 30, 2010

Don't take it as a sign that short means bad. You're just well able to answer questions in a succinct and to the point manner :). Keeping fingers crossed for you for good news soon.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2010

I agree with others that just because it was short doesn't mean you didn't get it. My fingers are crossed for you!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2010

Wow...someone with 46 years experience would be retiring, don't you think?

In any case, there's no telling whether a short or long interview is good or not. We keep all interviews with our committee to 30 minutes. If you feel nervous in an interview, it's good to tell the committee and tell them how much you want to work with them, that you want to make sure that you say everything you have to say and that you hope they understand that you are nervous. It does sound like the principal likes you ,so that's good but the committee could have some input regarding the decision (my committee does!)

9. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jun 30, 2010

Thanks, folks! Trying to stay positive, jumping EVERY time my phone goes off, haha! It was just an odd situation, an odd interview.

And I completely owned up to being nervous! She said she could tell, because whatever I was talking about made me smile and she said I looked like I would be a fun, easy-going person to work with. So I told her I was nervous, and told her that I was impressed with what the school does and stands for, and hope to be a part of it. So...we'll see. Hopefully, tomorrow!

10. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

Jun 30, 2010

I am thinking that perhaps the time between the set up for your 2nd interview and the actual 2nd interview the P already knew he liked you (he kept referring to your first interview). I think that could be a positive sign that he already wants you! You said there are several positions and a short list! To me that sounds like GREAT odds!!! My fingers are crossed!!! :)

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2010

I would have to agree with 2cute, if the 1st interview was referred to often that is a good sign.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 30, 2010

Did you say 46 years of experience? Ummmm.... I really do not discriminate against age and in this economy, I understand that people are going back to work, but I think after 46 years of teaching, she deserves to sit back, have some fun, and let some new teachers have the opportunity to teach. Just sayin', when my time is up I hope that I am able to leave the profession to the young teachers that are up and coming. It will have been a great run, but I think I will be ready to hang with the grandkids and great grandkids. :cool:

13. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jun 30, 2010

my old computer teacher taught for 55 years and we would have to wake her up when class was over.

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jun 30, 2010

Good luck! I hope you hear some good news! :)

15. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

Wow -- I am 55 this year, probably only 13 years or so younger than that teacher you are talking about.

I certainly don't plan on retiring in 13 years, whether I am teaching or doing something else. Being in your late 60s doesn't mean you have one foot in the grave and another on a bar of soap.

Time will catch up with you all, too.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2010

Oh, Missy, I so agree.

I'm 51. We just refinanced our mortgage, and cut it down to a 20 year loan.

So sometime around 2030, you can start asking me about retiring. Until then, I'm keeping my job.

I don't care who wants it or deserves the opportunity to teach. Unless I win LOTTO between now and then, and as long as my boss is as happy with me as he is now, I'm not going anywhere.

17. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 1, 2010

Don't worry too much about the time length for your interview. For my current position, my interview lasted exactly 15 minutes but 46 years of experience = expensive!!

18. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jul 1, 2010

No word today. Hopefully good news tomorrow!

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 1, 2010

But 46 years..... Wow. That is a long time. I want to be in my bikini drinking with a bahama mama (beverage) in my hand on the shores of some tropical island after my 30 AMAZING years of service is up. Now, I am not sure anyone else in their right mind will want to see that. But THAT is where I want to be with the ones I love. But I respect anyone that wants to continue teaching after 46 years of service to children/kids and their parents.

20. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jul 3, 2010

Ugh. Still nothing. That's ok, I've got an interview on Wednesday, and another job lead. Hope's are still high!

Next Sunday, I leave the country for 5 days. Would it be ok to change my voicemail to say something like "Hello, you've reached xxx-xxx-xxxx, I am currently out of the country but will return your call as soon as I get back on July 16th" or what would you say?

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2010

Just be careful about disclosing too much info; you don't necessarily want the local cat burgler to know that no one is home.

Instead, could you email or phone in a similar message to the principal?

Of course, you may very well be employed by then :)

22. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jul 3, 2010

Oh there will be people at home. It is a friend and I going. And really, my phone so seldomly rings I'm not too worried about that. I've applied pretty much everywhere within a 1.5hr drive, and would hate to miss a call while I am gone.

23. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2010

I agree with Alice. Talking about salary is a good sign (atleast I think so). :) Keep your chin up. Fingers are crossed for you!