So the Principal called me...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissT34, Dec 4, 2010.

1. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Dec 4, 2010

I had an interview back in October for a 4th grade bilingual position. I was called in for a second interview but sadly, I didn't hear back from them so I assumed they had found somebody that was better qualified for the job. So this evening I had a missed call from the elementary. I figured it must be something important for them to be calling me at 6:30pm on a FRIDAY! lol so i called back it it was the Principal....

She said that they had a position open for an [At-Risk Assistant] at her campus, and she really wanted to offer it to me because she was very impressed with the interview we'd had back in October. She said she had my portfolio right in front of her and she saw "a lot of potential" in me. So she said that as soon as the position opened up, she thought of calling me up and offering it to me because it'd be a great way to "get my feet wet", which i completely agree!

I know its not an actual teaching position, but at this point, im just soooo thankful that she'd consider me for the position because its really crucial for me to gain as much experience as possible. She said i needed to apply if i was interested and just let her know when i had completed the application so she could get the ball rolling.

I'm glad things are looking up, and at least now i'll be able to get my foot through the door and show them what i'm capable of, and maybe it'll be so much easier to land a teaching position for next school year. wish me luck, everyone! :D

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2010

Good luck!!! What will you do with this at-risk assistant position? Even if it's not an actual teaching job, I'm sure you'll still gain a wealth of experience from this position that will help you when you do land your first teaching job.

4. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Dec 4, 2010

Thanks! :)

From what she was able to explain over the phone, I'll be working with small groups of at risk students [those who's grades arent improving or aren't at the level as the other students', disruptive behavior, problems at home, etc] i'll be basically helping them stay up to date with their work and making sure they're showing progress throughout the year. It's very similar to a teacher's assistant except for the fact that these kids have been classifed as "at risk" because of several determining factors.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2010

Ah, sounds similar to what I'm doing. I used to be a full time teacher until layoffs and budget cuts. So, I work part time now working with the academically at risk kids with their math (someone else does reading with them). So if you ever need any help or advice, just PM me! Will you have your own room to work with them or will you be in the same classroom?

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2010

Congrats on your new job. And yes, the experience will be wonderful. I think it will be a great start!

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 4, 2010

congrats!

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 4, 2010

Congrats! Like you said,even though it's not a regular teaching job, it's a great foot in the door.

9. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Dec 4, 2010

Thanks everyone :)

Peachyness, I'm not quite sure if I'll have my own room, but I'm sure those details will be discussed when I go meet with them again. Thanks for the help and I'll definately PM you if I need anything :)

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2010

Congrats!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2010

Congratulations! It sounds like a great opportunity!

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2010

Congratulations! I also teach at risk children and would be happy to offer help if you need it. The fact that you are willing to teach this group, knowing that you may face problems, speaks volumes about you!

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Dec 4, 2010

That's fantastic! It sounds like you made a great impression at your interview. :)

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2010

You must have made a lasting impression. Congrats on your new job.

15. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 5, 2010

I was going to say the same thing! It's great that you have a job now :) The fact that the P remembered you from your interview in OCTOBER must mean you really stood out as a fantastic candidate. I think as long as you perform well in this position, if a full time teaching position opens up next year, there is a good chance it could be yours!

16. madderhatterme

madderhatterme Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

Wow - that sounds great! It seems that you made an EXCELLENT impression!

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 6, 2010

Many congrats!

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 7, 2010

Way to go!

19. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Dec 7, 2010

Congratulations!!!!