So the first day of school was delayed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 20, 2017

Just received an email about delaying the First day of school. Because of the solar eclipse. Because we are next door to two prime viewing states.

I suppose there are worse reasons to delay school.

Upsadaisy and otterpop like this.
  3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 20, 2017

At least you get one more day to prepare? I'm hoping to find a way to incorporate viewing the eclipse into our school day. We are supposed to get a pretty good view.

Backroads likes this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 20, 2017

I think I might travel out to see it. It's a complete day off.

I remember being in like 3rd grade when an impressive partial eclipse happened. Teacher took us out with special equipment. Pretty cool.

SageScience and vickilyn like this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2017

I'm only a short drive away from totality. Our classes don't begin until later that week (although teachers are expected to be at work), but many schools in our area have canceled classes that day as well. I really wish they'd cancel the day for teachers because I want to see it!

Backroads, SageScience and vickilyn like this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2017

Wow, if I was that close to the zone of totality I would make the effort to view it. NJ - bad place to want to see it. I might see if I can be in MO when it happens - I think much better view.

In the Free Links thread you will find a lot of information about the eclipse, how to view, where to view, and even a cool think about a 3D printed viewer. Just thought you might want to check it out - lots of NASA stuff there, and this IS their kind of event!

Upsadaisy and Backroads like this.
  7. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 20, 2017

My state allowed schools to go back earlier because of the eclipse. Now, school's are deciding to let out early because of it. Not thrilled that they use this as an excuse to start earlier.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2017

Actually, after checking a map, I just realized that my school and my house are both within the zone of totality! Near the edge of the zone, but within the zone nonetheless. Luckily during the time that we should be able to see totality, it's "work in your classroom" time, two days before classes begin. So, I might just go take my "lunch" at that time and go outside to see it! I'm in MO!

vickilyn likes this.
  9. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 20, 2017

Some of the districts around me (Illinois/St. Louis Metro) are calling off school. The district I am really interested in was the first one in Illinois to do so...it was one of the more interesting summer school conversations ever with one of the admins when he told me they were doing it.

10. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 20, 2017

I don't work there anymore, but I follow my old district (Tennessee) on Facebook. They just announced that they're completely closing the district, including staff. They're in the zone of totality, so they're anticipating heavy traffic with the community wanting to go see and all of the visitors coming. The school I'm at now is not close enough to the zone, so I'll be at work!

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2017

My sister is in KC and I am usually at her house that time of August - my last fling!

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2017

That's nice of them! That will be our 3rd week of school! We're not in the zone for the eclipse so I don't know for sure, but I feel like my district wouldn't let us have the day off.

13. Kranjit99

Kranjit99 Rookie

Jul 21, 2017

Don't miss out the next day. Forget about the present one. :)

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 21, 2017

I read an article about a local school that is canceling classes. Turns out that they aren't doing it to be nice and give people the opportunity to view it. Rather, it's an issue of liability. Many schools, especially high schools, dismiss during the time that it would be most dangerous to look at the sun without protective eyewear. Since the schools are responsible for students until the bus drops them off at home, they decided it was better to place the burden of the students' safety on the parents. The district can't force the students to look away from the sun, so they won't take any chances of being liable for permanent eye damage.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2017

Would not have thought of that! THAT makes perfect sense, because no matter what you tell them, some jerk is not going to believe you, even if you do provide the eyeware.