So tell me about 6th graders!

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by FourSquare, Jul 2, 2012.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 2, 2012

I am all kinds of hyperventilating about next year. I'm moving from 3rd inclusion to 6th grade special Ed. I will have about 10 students. I cannot tackle what I'm actually going to teach them until I see their levels and IEP goals, but I'm worried that I have absolutely nothing for 6th grade. A lot of you seem to use whole class novels. I am used to mini lessons out of picture books for reading! :dizzy: I may seriously also have to reteach myself 6th grade math. :blush: Luckily, I may be doing push-in some of the time so I'll get to observe 6th management and all that.

I have one friend who teaches 6th and she seems to use PowerPoint a lot. Do you use PowerPoint? What does your classroom look like? Any must haves? Even though they may be lower academically I do not want to treat them like babies.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2012

I love sixth grade!

I do use PP frequently...but if I do say so myself, mine are better than a lot I've seen. Some are just so...blah. I don't use it to simply display notes.

I will see if I have some pictures I can direct you to... But basically the room was bright, yet warm and welcoming thanks to lamps and such. Clean and organized is key. If I find pictures, I'll send you a PM. :)

I'm afraid I don't know exactly what to recommend as must-haves since you're special education, but I will think. Oh, well, one thing will be various tools for yourself and students to help keep them organized.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2012

Pictures available through PM. :)

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

Welcome to sixth! I don't use PowerPoint a lot (only occasionally in science and social studies).

How many different teachers will your students see? Will you see the students in a pull out class or only in their general education classes?

I agree with lots of organizational tips and strategies.

6. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

6th graders are a great age! Will they be at the elementary school or middle school? I have noticed that they get "senioritis" if they are at the elementary school but eager to please at the middle school level! Either way, just remember that like all humans they want to know you care and respect them :)

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 3, 2012

Ohh...good point. My school is K-8, but we have a separate building for 6-8 so it's like they're going to middle school. Hopefully that works in my favor.

As far as I can tell there is 4 6th grade teachers, including one gifted teacher. I imagine they each take a subject and kids rotate...gifted might be self-contained. I will need to ask.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

I would definitely find out each teacher's policies, procedures, and expectations. This way you can help meet each student's needs and make sure goals are taught.

9. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

it will definitely help that they are in a new building with a new teacher! Use this to your advantage; make sure they know that they are no longer in elementary school so the expectations (as well as the rewards and responsibilities) are higher.

I teach Math/Science and I hate powerpoint, unless it is a lesson that involves a lot of images. I prefer to do guided Cornell Notes for new math concepts.
    :)

10. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 3, 2012

6th graders are great! :D They still want to please their teachers. My room is very colorful. I have curtains & beanbags which they like. I found out at the end of the year that due to scheduling changes I would not be teaching my 6th graders next year. I was devastated b-c it is a great age to teach!

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 3, 2012

I can do beanbags. I have some of those body pillows too. They'll like that for reading and stuff, yeah?

I was so anxious and awkward in 6th grade that I have blocked that year out of my brain entirely. :lol: The only thing I remember is talking to my teacher after school every day cause my mom had a weird work schedule and could never pick me up on time. She was a good listener. I hope I am as patient and understanding! :love:

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2012

They love beanbags and comfy chairs!

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2012

I liked my 6th graders last year. I only had them one period for an elective class, though :) They were really sweet and still very "elementary" for most of the year - still wanted hugs, stood really close to you, wanted to show you absolutely everything they had done under the sun, asked a million questions about everything... I think you'll enjoy them. They're a fun age group.

14. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Jul 7, 2012

Hi all!
    Well I just found out I will be teaching 6th grade Reading/Language Arts. I have taught Kinder and and Im coming from 2nd. I AM FREAKING OUT! I mean will they be respectful, will they listen, are they still loving? I have no clue what to do with 6th graders, please help any info you can provide will be amazing!

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

Congrats, Jazzy!

I had a long talk with my P today about this transition. Apparently, she made a similar one years ago when she began teaching, only she had no time! Her 2nd grade position got eliminated and then they moved her to 7th grade the Monday after. She loved the kids and never looked back. Now she runs a middle school. :)

Point is, you might like it. I am a little more relaxed after talking to her. The book Yardsticks has some good developmental information if you're looking for it. I have also found a lot searching for middle school blogs.

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2012

I am teaching 6 & 7 this year after being PROMISED I could teach US Gov't (10 & 11 graders) at my school which is 6-12. Teaching 6th grade does NOT make me happy because 6th graders are not for everyone and especially not for me.

I have taught either 6 & 7 or 7 & 8 for the past 5 years and I can say that 6th graders are still babies. Period. They are easily excitable, they still want to please, and are much easier to manage and control than 7 or 8 graders. That may sound great, but you also have to do alot of babying even though many of them think they are grown and can very disrespectful and rude. You have to be careful with what you say and how you joke with them becuase their feelings get hurt very easily. It's like walking on egg shells and drives me crazy. You either love MS or you hate them.

Good luck.

17. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 24, 2012

6th graders stink! No really. Many of them need deoderant by that age but not all use it. Something you may have to deal with as a teacher of 6th graders! LOL

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

You are SO right, a2z. It's unbelievable. And girls are worse. :(

19. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2012

I love sixth graders, but they cry a lot. Especially the boys!

20. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 27, 2012

Meh, they cried in 3rd too. I'll be all right with that. :lol:

I did some observing in a 7th/8th sped room today at a different neighborhood school. I think this is the closest I'll get to seeing middle school in action before they come next Monday! It was good though. The teacher was very helpful and answered several questions.