So stressed!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Mar 7, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2013

We'll be sending out the petition for my husband's USA residency tomorrow!

I'm so stressed out. It's so much work and they're super picky about everything. If something isn't right they make you do it all over again. And I'm talking something as simple as signing in blue ink instead of black ink.

We have to send in lots of evidence of our relationship and I've stocked it full of pictures, bank statements, receipts, our lease, letters, but I'm still so worried it's not enough.

We'll send it tomorrow to my mom who has to put in the $450 (!!!) filing fee check.

After that we wait a few months until we hear something from them. Then it's another huge, daunting stack of tax and financial paperwork to send in and another huge filing fee. After that, medical exams, then an interview, then hopefully we get approved!!!

Send us good thoughts that I didn't mess anything up. So nervous!!!:unsure:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 7, 2013

Hugs and hugs, lucy!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2013

Hugs and good luck, Lucy!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2013

Hugs and good luck!

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2013

:rolleyes:We all know this is a marriage of convenience after all you only live in Costa Rica and you have so much money from marrying the 10 other guys for the green card trade. :rolleyes: I mean this what you have planned since you were a little girl, to be a green card provider. :rolleyes:

All kidding aside here we have a honest couple who want to share the American experience and you get treated worse then the illegals who haven't tried to become legal. Mixed up if you ask me.

As for illegals lets make them tax payers!

I am hoping all goes well and may Uncle Sam smile on you. :clap: :clap: :clap:

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2013

Don't worry, Dave...the government has a habit of making long term illegal immigrants legal...instant voters who support the party granting them citizenship...color me jaded.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2013

Reminds me of George Bernard Shaw's thinking: "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul"

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2013

Yup.

Lucybelle...rest assured. You are doing everything right. We need more who are dedicated to following the rules to join our precious liberty.:thumb:

10. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 7, 2013

Many illegal immigrants do pay taxes.

Best of luck, Lucybelle! Immigration is scary and tough. Hope it goes as smoothly as possible. :)

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 7, 2013

Hope it goes well and moves along quickly.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2013

Thanks everyone!

We went and made two copies of our entire packet (about 50 pages each) yesterday and it cost us a whopping $4! :haha:

I think everything is ready. *eek*

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 8, 2013

Everything will go fine! :thumb:

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 8, 2013

Keep us posted, please, lucybelle.

15. jenneke607

jenneke607 Rookie

Mar 10, 2013

Good luck, lucybelle! It's stressful, but not insurmountable! Not to worry.

My husband and I just went through the process. We first applied in October, had our interview in late January, and the green card arrived a week later. (And it is beautiful!) The process may have only taken three months, but it definitely felt like three years. As you suspected, it is better to be over-prepared than under-prepared. We brought more photos, updated cell phone records, etc. for our actual interview with homeland security. Also: we were told that photographs with that include members from the respective families are looked on more favorably than random photos of the couple.

And $450 is for the cheap form. ;) I think the I-485 was about $1,000, plus the biometrics, etc.

Will your interview be in the US or abroad? I hear the experience is dramatically different from one homeland security office to another, let alone countries! My husband's first immigration interview in his home country was so, so different than adjusting his status once in the US.

Reading sample questions online helped calm our nerves, even if we were not asked almost any of them, and we had the comfort of knowing that my husband had originally immigrated through the proper channels. You'll be great!!