So. Stressed.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sshintaku, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Dec 8, 2010

Obviously, teaching is a consuming profession. I'm fine with that. By nature, I am a work-a-holic anyway, but lately, it's been completely taking over my life and I'm about to have a nervous breakdown.
    My classes are fine. Everything is running smoothly, and the workload is nowhere near overwhelming. It's everything ELSE that's gotten to me.

've taken on the cheer leading coach position this year, and boy... is that a mistake. It runs from August-March, and has added an extra 2-3 hours onto my work day, plus weekends. For $2/hr. Of course there's also the personal issues with the girls, etc as I'm sure you can imagine.

I keep being "recommended" for additional trainings, on top of the normal meetings. I have at least one 2-hour meeting per week, plus these additional trainings and things. I basically live at school, and then come home and all I can think about is what I need to do at school! Last night, I was laying in bed, unable to sleep and thinking of how to create a time line activity for my kids!

It's gotten ridiculous. The point of this vent though, is how do people balance a full load, and still come home at night and have enough brain to focus on family and personal life? Obviously, I have a little too much on my plate right now, but I'm stuck there for the time being. I need some coping strategies before I loose it. :dizzy:

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 8, 2010

I understand how you feel. My "down time" of year is the fall, but I am gearing up for my "horrendously busy" time of year. I find that I have to schedule EVERYTHING. I mean, I have to schedule meals, sleep, and free time. I schedule my planning periods full of activity, just like they were a class, so I don't find myself goofing off (like right now :)).

Also, this year my co-coaches and I have decided that we are each going to take one day off per week (plus we're not allowed to practice past 6 on Wednesdays, so that helps too). The other 2 are going to make sure that person gets out of here on her day off. You might need to do that with cheerleading-make Wednesdays a no practice night or something.

Also, don't feel bad for saying no, even if you're recommended.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2010

I second the option, say no! It's okay. Do you have an assistant coach for cheerleading? If not, maybe a parent will volunteer. That way you could take a night off or leave practice early.

Also, with extra meetings, if you are feeling overwhelmed, you do not need to go. Take a day off. And I always bring something to work on at meetings for all the down time we have.

Remember, your classroom comes first. Then everything extra.

5. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Dec 8, 2010

I *wish* I had an assistant coach, or even a parent! Cheer is more or less the thing that's sucking up my whole life. My days off from cheer practice are days that are filled with meetings, so its kind of a loose loose situation.

I probably will have to schedule in my "relaxing" time, as sad as that sounds.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 8, 2010

It's not sad, it's smart! Life is stressful, and if you let it, it will consume you. I was in hell once...ahem, I mean, I was a cheerleading coach once...and I remember what it was like. I assume you're in a larger school where cheer is probably pretty popular. Make sure they are using their practice time wisely, and if you schedule an hour, make sure they stick to an hour. No more.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 8, 2010

Do you have children of your own?

I did it all with getting my kids everywhere after I'd taught all day. There were gymnastic classes, dance classes, football practice, AWANAS at church, then came the football games and CONCESSION stand! My daughter and son are six years apart so as I finished up with him it was cheer practice, then football season, then basketball season... whew... it's exhausting thinking about it all. Many, many nights I just fell into bed and didn't move a muscle all night unless there was a nervous leftover twitch left from the day.

Learn to say "NO". Use your calendar wisely making time for yourself.

8. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Dec 9, 2010

I do not have children. I cannot imagine trying to do all these extra-curricular things and be a mother on top of it! Kudos to you.

9. Daisie

Daisie Rookie

Dec 10, 2010

Hi Sshintaku!
    I totally understand what you mean. Grant it, I'm not a FT teacher yet (still learning!), but in my practicum I've been trying to do as much as I can to make a solid impression with my school- ie going to every meeting, coaching volleyball and ice hockey, coordinating ski club, running math tutorials...it's madness!:eek:

I guess the important thing is to allow yourself some "you time". I was always taught that it's alright to say no to certain extracurricular activities so you can unwind- otherwise it's easy to burn out. When things get crazy for me I like to unwind by playing piano, doing some yoga (I make it a point to do that every week- if you haven't tried yoga, maybe try giving it a whirl- VERY relaxing:thumb:) Haning put with friends/fam helps me too (as long as there's no drama- I get enough of that during the day!!). And a good ol' spa day is a welcome treat once in a while. Most important thing is to take care of yourself.

-have a great day :)

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 10, 2010

I hear you loud and clear.

I have to schedule down time and free time and sleep time.

Just last night my nephew called wanting help with a college assignment. He didn't quite understand that even though I wasn't "busy" I wasn't willing to help him. Sorry, I'm on down time right now, me time right now. I felt bad ... but ...

If you are truly feeling like you can't sleep and the lack of sleep is dealing with your daily life, consider talking to your doctor. The doc may have a remedy for you. Mine did. I take a medication for anxiety and it has really helped me feel more balanced and less wired and frenzied all of the time. I'm not saying I still don't feel like I run a marathon all day, but the anxiety meds keep me from wanting to pull out my hair or spin out of control.

11. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Dec 11, 2010

When I can do yoga, it does help a lot. Unfortunately, it conflicts with other things sooo... it's on the back burner right now haha. :)

I've been trying to just ignore work things after 8pm and on weekends, and it's helped a lot. I ignore text messages from the cheerleaders, don't check my work e-mail, etc.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2010

That's a great start! If you keep it up, you will start to feel a little better!

Use the winter break to sleep and refresh yourself! It's a great time to relax and rejuvenate!

13. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Dec 11, 2010

I feel I have more energy if I can fit in a yoga class too, plus it de-stresses me! I was somewhat comforted reading this thread because I, too, am overwhelmed, stressed, and overloaded with extras. I am grading papers now (Saturday) but thought I'd procrastinate and take a break on a-z!
    Anyway, I don't think it is unusual in this career and I hope to show this to my hubbie because he doesn't believe me. :)
    I wish you well!