SO sick of lice!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Nov 18, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 18, 2013

:(

Head lice just loves my classroom this year. It's been on and off since the 4th week of school. We've been ok for the past few weeks, but I just got a voicemail tonight that a parent found some eggs.

The frustrating part is that my district doesn't do anything about it until more like 5 kids in one classroom have had it. They consider it a nuisance, but not a medical concern. Last month they sent a note home. I typed up my own letter that tells parents how to prevent the spread of lice, encouraging them to check their child's head nightly. I'm hoping the district won't be mad at me for sending this, but I'm so sick of it!!!

Also, we're supposed to have a school-wide stuffed animal day on Friday. :confused:

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 18, 2013

Ick. The stuffed animal day really gets me. Can you send home educational pamphlets with your students? Maybe print off or request from your health department enough for the whole grade? If the information isn't coming from you maybe it won't seem like you are being particularly picky about it.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 18, 2013

Your district's policy is so different compared to mine - we had one child with lice in September. We noticed when they were scratching their head a lot, we took them to the nurse, they had lice, so everyone had to get checked for lice. Everyone who had lice had to stay home until there was none left and the nurse confirmed it per district policy (Also, all siblings of the students get sent home for the day out of an abundance of caution).

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 19, 2013

That would be so nice!

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2013

I would go to the principal today and ask that your class not participate in the stuffed animal day. It sounds like it is a great way to get the lice to spread like a virus.

Also, do you have a district nurse? Is your school following district policy? We remove the child until parents pick them up and they have to treat and have the child rechecked before they come back. All parents in the class receive a notice every single time.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 19, 2013

Yes, this is the district policy.

Our nurse is shared between all 5 elementary schools. She is at my school on Thursday afternoons.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 22, 2013

Yeck! That's so gross and unsanitary. Lice aren't a minor nuisance by a long shot. I agree w/not participating in stuffed animal day. This is probably a long shot, but does the nurse have samples/free lice shampoo that can be sent home?

In addition to talking to parents and sending home information about lice prevention I would keep talking to the children about preventative measures and inforcing positive, non lice spreading behaviors whenever u can (for instance if I see kids sharing a hat, they are reprimanded and have their card changed on the behavior chart)

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2013

That's terrible. I had it in my classroom last year and the year before but luckily each time it was contained to 1 or 2 kids.

I was annoyed thought that they didn't check all the kids. One kid had it really, really bad and I figured they would have the nurse check everyone to make sure they didn't have it. They didn't even send a letter home informing the parents so that they would check for it. Luckily it didn't spread but the school wasn't doing anything to try to prevent it.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 28, 2013

We´ve had quite the breakout at our school and in my grade level. I have had one student with it, but another teacher has had issues with several kids at a time with lice, and it continues to come back. It´s such a hassle!

11. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Nov 28, 2013

You may already know all this, but I've heard that Tea Tree oil is a repellent so in the past I've bought shampoo that had it in it. Also, if you put product or hair spray in your hair that may help

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2013

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 3, 2013

Interesting!

That pretty much sums up the stance that my school district has taken. They tell parents to check often, but say that it's nothing to freak out about. Kids are allowed back to school, and whole-class head checks only "create unnecessary panic."

It's SUCH a pain, though!!!

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013

The only reason I wished my school would do the whole class head checks is because I know there were a good amount of parents in my class not doing them. Haven't had any issues yet this year, ::knock on wood::

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2013

Our policy too is everyone continues to come to school.
    No notes to other parents.
    Kids with it are checked by nurse weekly for 6 weeks.
    If found, a call and letter go home to that family.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 3, 2013

My school for student teaching (PreK & K), had a lice outbreak last month - the entire school had to be checked because a parent didn't report it until a day after they knew their child had lice - and their child had had it the entire weekend before.

The entire school had to be checked because there'd be like 1-2 students on a bus or in a class, so pretty much everyone got checked in the end.

Anyone who has lice leaves school immediately, cannot leave the nurse's office to get their things. They are not allowed back until the nurse checks their head.