So sick of interviewing....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by snickydog, Jul 18, 2007.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

First, I must say I am very lucky because I've been fortunate to a) have a job that I can return to for next year and b) have been invited to go on a number of interviews for other positions.

With that said... I am so sick of interviewing! Last summer was my first year interviewing, and it took me several to get in the swing of things to the point of being able to get job offers. Understandable, I think.

This summer, it's been painful. I teach middle school and want to move to el ed, which is a really saturated market around here. Still, I'd been called for interviews (either in the early primary grades, which I student taught, or late elementary school - maybe primary and middle school average to intermediate?) and have had several. I just can't seem to get a job offer out of any!

They've gone like this:

1) First round - position was CRAZY hectic, decided not to continue
    2) Did two rounds, with a demo lesson that bombed (the principal, AP, and teachers just sat there staring at me for half an hour).
    3) GREAT interview, no positions now. :(
    4) First round seemed to go well, was told I'd get called for the second the following day... When I checked in with the principal, she said they were "still screening" and would make decisions for second round soon.
    5) Fine interview, actually going back next week for a second round.
    6) (Today's interview, in-district) Could have gone better, but could have been worse- didn't really get many questions about el ed content (teaching each subject, etc) which I was trying to prepare for

Now, I have an interview Friday I'm really pumped for and I want to do so well on (great school, 1st grade - I'd love it!).... But I'm so discouraged about how things have gone so far!!!

Is anyone else in the same boat?

Sorry for the complaining, but I just had to vent!!! I want to know where I'll be next year to plan, buy books...

3. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I am too. This is my first year looking for a job. I had two interviews in very early June. One admin. flat out told me after about 20 minutes that I wasn't a good fit. The other turned out to be a good interview, but the school is not run well(I know people whose children used to attend) so I declined that one. Then nothing, absolutely nothing for about 6 weeks. Then, all of a sudden I had 5 interviews in 3 working days. So I have been on 7 interviews this summer. I am ready to have my 1st choice let me know HR has cleared me and I can take that job. I don't want to go on anymore interviews!

4. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 18, 2007

I've had similar experiences...however I had to resign from my current position before I could even interview in another county...
    I've had 3 interviews this week and 3 last week and a couple the week before...I just want to get a job!!! I've mostly had Kindergarten interviews, which I have no experience with. My idle range is grade 3, 4, or 5, but I go to whatever interview I get called for.
    It's a bit different where I live. You do a "screening interview" with the county then if you're approved you can get calls from the schools. The schools usually only do 1 round of interviews. I did my screenings with 3 surrounding counties, which went great. One of the counties is only interviewing people with an "open contract" right now, which stinks for me. The other county has only called me with 1 interview. The last county calls me for interviews...but they're far from where we are moving...
    Sorry so long...I had to rant.
    Good luck with your interviews... I'm waiting to hear back from the one I went to today that went well. :)

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 18, 2007

I am in a very similar situation. This is my third summer applying. My first summer out of college I only got 2 interviews. Then last summer I got 4 or 5 I think. I ended up with a job in a private school (good school, but not what I wanted) and I have that job to go back to if need be, but here I am applying again. I have gone on 4 interview this summer and I'm going on a fifth tomorrow (2nd round for one of the positions). I'm so sick and tired of taking time out of work and going through the interview process. I consider myself VERY lucky to have had this many interviews, but I'm so tired of it!

6. Texas_06

Texas_06 Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Hello everyone. This is my first year looking for a job. I want to teach elementary bilingual or regular. I've only had two interviews and never heard anything. I'm going to take the 4-8 exam. I hope this will help me get my foot in the door. I feel so sad sometimes because I don't know what else I can do. I guess there are too many elementary teachers looking for a job.

7. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

I hear you! I think the reason I had so many interviews last summer was truly because I have middle school endorsements in hard to find areas (math and science). I had two general ed el ed interviews and probably about 15 total middle school ones. Ridiculous.

Okay, so this is going to sound really mean, but have you ever been in a school and seen a really bad teacher, and thought, I should have their spot??? I observed a first grade teacher who was AWFUL with the kids - he made them cry because he was so mean to them, there was NO fun there whatsoever, and he didn't smile at all. He was only there because he was "in" with the principal. Hello.... I would have done a billion times better at that job than he does, and who is there instead? HIM! :sorry: just had to rant...

8. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

snicky, I hear you, but not about teaching. Mine is with kids. I am reproductively challenged (not impossible, but definitely more difficult) and hate to see kids mistreated or uncared for. Sometimes I think I could provide so much better, so why not me? Case in point, I have a 19 year old cousin who is 4 months pregnant. She has no husband or boyfriend. She lives with her parents. She works part-time. She recently had her car repossessed and now she is on medicaid. so to top it all off, I get to help pay for her to have a baby. sheesh!