So Scared!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by stephanie90102, Oct 4, 2005.

1. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Oct 4, 2005

Hi everyone! I know that you all may not be able to help me, but I'm hoping that perhaps some of you may be able to share difficult experiences you've had before. I am (hopefully) going to be student teaching in January. My one issue is that I am awaiting testing results for my final licensure test. They won't be mailed for a few more weeks, and this waiting game is taking a toll on me. Has anyone here ever had to wait for results to find out what your future holds, with such little time in between? If I didn't pass this test, then I will have to put off my graduation date until next winter, after I student teach. Does anyone have any tips for maybe calming myself down and having a positive outlook on this very scary problem? Any feedback would be appreciated greatly. Thanks... Stephanie :eek:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 5, 2005

Two broad classes of approach:

(1) Tell yourself, "Self, for today we are not going to worry about it." Say the same thing to yourself tomorrow, and for the tomorrows leading up to the test. This works if you're reasonably good at convincing yourself that things aren't so bad, really. It helps if you reward yourself as though you were a kindergartner for not obsessing.

(2) Assume you did not pass - not as something to get totally upset over, but as a fact - and try to figure out what realistic options are then open to you. You'll probably find they weren't just what you wanted but that they aren't as bad as your fears are telling you.

In either case, when your brain starts acting like a hamster on a treadmill, try to find it and yourself something else to do. Take brisk walks and enjoy the fall (where you are, there actually IS fall); treat yourself to a really good book or series of books (young adult fiction in which problems get solved would be a good choice for you right now, I think, and if you don't mind a little magic I'll suggest Tamora Pierce's PROTECTOR OF THE SMALL series, Sherwood Smith's WREN series or CROWN DUEL, or Diane Duane's YOUNG WIZARDS series).

Whatever you do, think about what you'd suggest for someone else in the sort of position you're in now... and then do that. I'm betting it would include being fairly gentle with yourself, and it sounds like that would be a good idea.

4. MsBirts

MsBirts Rookie

Oct 14, 2005

I really know what you going through. I just got my test results back 3 weeks ago. If I had failed I would have had to postpone graduation. You can call ets and get your results early. But it cost $25. But what I did was pray about it. I prayed that I passed that test and I prayed from strength to get through the long waiting period. It really helped. I also told myself that if I did not pass it’s not the end of the world. Everything happens for a reason. I know a lot of people that struggle with the test. Obviously you have made it this far and eventually you are going to finish. So try not to think about it that much. I will pray for your results. Good luck! :D

5. dydrmr81

dydrmr81 New Member

Oct 15, 2005

I could have written this post yesterday, because I just got my Praxis II (elem. content 0014) results back yesterday! I, too, begin student teaching in January and if I hadn't passed the test I would have had to delay everything. I was quite panicky! Like the last poster, I actually paid $25 to call and get my test results early because I was so scared about passing. :eek: I took the test in September so have been waiting a little over a month for the results and it was a long wait indeed! I got through it by trying to focus on things that I could do to help advance my teaching career :) like work on assignments for college, read books and work on my master's research project. I also had to continually tell myself that if I ended up not passing, I would just have to deal with it and work really hard to pass the next time. Ya, it would have sucked to delay everything, but I would have dealt with it and gotten there.

Good luck!!

6. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Oct 15, 2005

Thank you all for your insight... It's so ironic though. I sat down to write this reply and my mom called me upstairs because the mail had arrived, and my test results were there! I passed with 15 points to spare! YAY! Anyhow, I want to thank everyone for all of their help in giving myself a little more sanity over the past couple of weeks. I truly think I was ready to go off the deep end! Best of luck to all! Stephanie

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2005

Bravo, Stephanie! Do make sure you celebrate - people don't pass Praxis tests with 15 points to spare by sheer dumb luck, you know.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 15, 2005

Congrats!! It's such a great feeling, isn't it??

9. SYMBOLSTeacher

SYMBOLSTeacher Rookie

Oct 15, 2005

Congrats on your successful completion of the Test! :)

Here is the "teachable moment" for all of us from this experience:

Sean Covey authored "7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens"; a teen version of his father's (Steven Covey) book. In his book, the first habit is "Be Proactive"... Once you took the test, the results were not going to change based on how much you worried . As dydrmr81 mentioned, focus your energies on things that you can control.

As I haven grown older (I am not a spring chicken any longer), I have come to realize that my energy is better spent on taking positive action toward the solution. Having said that, I do realize it is easier said than done, but you need to learn to NOT WORRY about things you do not control!

10. dydrmr81

dydrmr81 New Member

Oct 15, 2005

Yay!!!! :D :D

Congrats, Stephanie! I'm sure it is a huge relief! Now you can relax a little! :p