So Sad

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by JaimeMarie, Aug 11, 2010.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2010

My nephew started kindergarten this week. He is already learning site words, and letters. The teacher didn't do anything begin of the year activites to build community in the classroom. The teacher told his parents that he will be writing paragraphs by NOVEMBER! And reading in December. I hope they misunderstood her. HOw developmentally not appropriate. I hope it is because of the higher ups dictating how to teach and not how she teaches.

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

I'm sorry. I hate this trend, and when it is happening to your own loved ones, it really hurts.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2010

Jaime, I freaked out when a friend's child was writing ESSAYS in kindergarten. Three paragraph essays. 6 years old. Public school.

Then again, all I remember from kindergarten was that I was in the yellow group, I had a Smurf lunchbox, I already knew how to read, and I cried every day for two weeks because a little girl pulled the threads from my nap towel. I'm pretty sure I didn't write paragraphs or essays, though.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2010

hopefully their paragraphs will be one line or something!

I know our kinders write books (which might only be 2 sentences... one on each of 3 pages). Sounds drastic when you say, "My class will be writing books this year." So maybe it is something like that.

So sorry there were no community building activities. Maybe she is new, or terrified of the hefty curriculum [some] districts have these days and is afraid she won't get through it all.

Maybe she will start guided reading in December.

I'm just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt!

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2010

I was looking at her newsletter again and it looks like her name just got stuck on the letter and it was the other teachers. She was transfered in at the last minute. So maybe she is just following the other teacher this week. Fingers crossed. Should I try to be friends with her?

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2010

Maybe we could be pen pals. She will be a month a head of my class.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2010

I would be careful with making suggestions about how to teach her students because things like that can go one of two ways. Either she will be completely open to you offering advice or she will be resentful and your family member will suffer the consequences. I know it's hard for you right now but try to let it be for now and especially try to avoid having curriculum discussions with his parents. It just stirs the pot and will make them doubt their child's teacher and her abilities. As teachers, WE KNOW when a student of ours is being fed negativity about us at home. It shows in the child's behavior and really, it's unfair to plant that seed in a child's head. Have faith that they hired her because she knows how to do the job. She might do it differently than you or I would, but it is her decision. As teachers, we have to have creative freedom in delivering our curriculum.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2010

I would never tell her how to teach. I just thought it would be neat to be pen pals with his class. And my brother is on the push train.

10. WindyCityGal606

Aug 11, 2010

Oh...you meant pen pals between your class and hers. I thought you meant between you and her. LOL...awkward....!
    What's a push train?

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2010

Push the child has hard as you can. Read read read, write write write..............

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

Sigh. My kindergarten doesn't even specifically teach reading. We have an hour of 'writing' in journals (scribbles and drawing)/hour of Spanish songs (rotation every other day), 2 hours of observed free play, 2 hours of recess/outside lunch, 2 hours of observed free play, storytime, hour of recess. We're preparing for first graders that will not know how to read, and that is just fine with us. They are ready mentally and emotionally!

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2010

I like the sound of your school Jem.

14. WindyCityGal606

Aug 11, 2010

Okay...I think I'm understanding now. Your brother WANTS his son pushed like this but you don't feel it's the way to go. That is rough. I'm sorry to hear that.

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 11, 2010

That is sad :( Most of our kids do read by December, but for some reading is telling the story of the picture :)

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2010

Mine are starting to read short sentences by the middle of January. We start Sept. 1st so I'm about a month behind you Tasha.

Windy,
    It is my brother's step son. I won't tell them how to parent and only give advice when asked.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 11, 2010

Ours are supposed to be reading 40 wpm fluently by May-for some that is just an insurmountable task-if day one they have no letter/sound knowledge, no phonemic awareness. I've said it before we take standardized tests (where they actually have to bubble in an answer) by January and they are supposed to be able to read sentences by then (that's 3 1/2 months of instruction). No pressure for the kids or anything though :rolleyes:.

We were in an interview today and girl's portfolio had dramatic play as a center and they were like-no, she's not into academics enough. Hello, in school they do teach you to be more developmentally appropriate-who knew the real world was so different.

18. WindyCityGal606

Aug 11, 2010

I remember with my first child, I was so thrilled that she was able to learn such advanced skills. Of course I somehow related this to her being super smart. By the time I had my next child almost ten years later, I was already working on my degree and learning so much about cognitive development. It was then that I learned that a child simply doesn't need to be pushed to do certain things when they aren't ready for it. There's plenty of time for that later. For me, it was just that I didn't know any better with my first child. Maybe you should tell your brother how you feel since you do know what's best.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2010

Windy,
    I don't want to say anything because then I would be telling him to do the opposite of the what the teacher is saying.

20. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

This just breaks my heart. Children develop differently and some are ready, some are not. Some walk when 9 mos old some not till after their birthday.
    What is the big rush? When it is time for children to walk (read) it will happen (most of the time). If your child can't walk at 9 mos, do you force him/her to? or wait, encouraging her/him to develop?
    Okay, I'll get off my soap box now.

21. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 11, 2010

:yeahthat:

Seriously, I do not understand why anyone pushes children, especially Kindegarteners in areas like this. I feel like we should have the ability to provide progressive instruction at each students abilities. I feel that we, as K teachers, have a special gift for seeing each student at his/her level and the ability to help them become strong first graders without making blanket deadlines.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

I read this thinking about our little Ks starting grade 1 in a few weeks--their teachers will be thrilled if most of them can write sentences, never mind essays.

23. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 12, 2010

This is one reason why I had to switch out of Kindergarten last year! I couldn't take all the lack of developmentally appropriate activities. I considered our program to be in a transitional state between the old views of K and the new academic push...but the other teacher was going way to the extreme on the academic end. She drove me nuts!!!!!! However, she was considered the guru and everyone loved her!

My P saw my frustration and moved me to 1st grade when I asked. I learned in teaching 1st grade that most of the students that I had in K performed better then hers! I'm not going to lie...it felt a pretty good to beat the guru! :D

24. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

Haha! That is great, and now you have the "research" ;)

25. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 13, 2010

Hmmm - this is all so sad. I would say, in schools, the parents have a LOT more power than people often realize. I'd have your nephews mom and/or dad to in, speak with the teacher and see what her response is. If that doesn't work, the parents can go to the administrator or even higher up.

26. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

That IS so so sad!

27. TryingMyBest

TryingMyBest Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

i understand that SOME kids may be ready to write long sentances by that time. My own almost 5 year old writes comfortably. But to say that about WHOLE CLASS thats just almost very imposible!! Kids develope so different - some kids read and write easy and some kids still struggle with holding pen right... thats just sad that she wants ALL the kids to be on the same page! good thinking but seriously not possible!

28. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2010

my friend teaches developmental preschool. She was dancing and singing with the class when the super walked by and said, "you are going to stop that aren't you? preschool is the new kindergarten and we have to get those kids writing and reading."

29. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 18, 2010

:eek::eek::eek: Wow....I have no words!

30. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 18, 2010

I still sing and dance with my K's! Sometimes the songs are academic in nature and actually do help with some skills and sometimes they are just plain old fun! How could they take that away from kids that are FIVE and SIX years old?!!!

31. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 18, 2010

Developmental pre-k? How old are they? 4 and 5? That is worse then the K classroom not doing it.

32. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2010

I know.....she still sings and dances with them anyway!

33. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 19, 2010

Research supports the DAP approach. A child is not ready to learn until he is developmentally ready. He may be able to count to 10, but he may not know what it means. So, all the play approach centers can achieve the same academic success by "playing" with numbers, words, etc.

This is my soap box, so I will stop.