So Sad; sorry, but another Jon & Kate thread

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, May 25, 2009.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 25, 2009

Tonight is a new show; I don't now how many of you have been following all the trashtalk, weekly magazines, etc...that have been out about Kate & her bodyguard, Jon & his nightlife, etc...

Truly, it IS sad when you remember when "they" all started and how precious they were in their TV beginnings.

This came out today; and the writer says that Jon & Kate do not even intermingle with one another during tonight's program...I'm not so sure; I've seen the commercials of Jon & kate talking about tonight's program.

well; here is the article for those who are still interested. If you're not; just skip it.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/05/21/p...ate-plus-8s-new-season-2-minutes-of-cripplin/

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 25, 2009

It is really sad. :( She used to seem somewhat normal, but I really noticed a change in her last season. I feel so bad for Jon and the kids. I saw a preview where Jon said, "I might as well be in prison." :(

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 25, 2009

Listen, divorce breaks my heart. When a legitimate marriage ends, well, it just crushes me for some reason. I don't need to know the couple. It is safe to assume a couple who marries was at one time very much in love and happy, and when that fades...I almost cry at the thought. I've always been this way, and I'm not sure if it's because one of my earliest memories is being dropped off at my aunt's home while my parents went to the courthouse to divorce or because I'm a dreamer and hate to be proven wrong. My point is, even if Jon and Kate never had their show and instead I had just happened to learn of their troubles, it is positively saddening. It's somewhat disturbing when people express that they feel no sorrow for the couple because of the fact they are part of a show. That is cruel. And I'm not even sure how I feel about the show at this point because I think it would probably be best to end it to save their relationships. Of course, they may not divorce, but if even a third of the rumors are fairly accurate I imagine they have a long road ahead.

I love those little children and I hope they all find happiness.

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 25, 2009

JustMe-a very good post.
    I am so sad for this family. I don't think they're wrong;I don't think they're right. I don't know whose fault is is, but I wish the media would stop overly critisizing them. It seems as if the best intentions have spiraled out of control.
    I believe they are both good parents who have gotten lost. Their poor kids have to feel the stress of this. Even the oldest girls are old enough to see magazine covers when they go to the grocery store.
    I have been watching the marathon this weekend while cleaning and have seen earlier episodes where they seem so happy. I do believe they started with the best intentions.
    And I don't believe everything I read in the media. I read an article this week about Kate that critisized her from head to toe. They even critisized her nails!! I'm not at all saying she's right-but that level of critisizm is just mean spirited.
    I pray that this family can overcome this and do what's best. And I think what's probably best is going off the show.

6. Lilymax

Lilymax Rookie

May 25, 2009

I'm also a fan of the show, and think it's sad, but in some ways, understandable. Fame does weird things to people...especially truly normal, everyday "Joes" like Jon. Kate does seem to relish the attention a bit more than he does and maybe that is the biggest part of the problem.

This is on a much, much smaller scale, but I had a hard time adjusting to being a "public" person when I began writing a weekly column for my local newspaper several years ago. It's humorous slice-of-life parenting stories (probably one reason I really like J&K+8! ) but it's weird to know that other people are reading about my life, and even more odd when strangers recognize me out in public and comment on something I wrote or what they thought of it. So if that was an adjustment for me and my little family, I can't imagine how huge the adjustment has been for them. They say you should know what you're getting into before you do it, but honestly, you can't really know til you walk a mile in those shoes.

And I suppose in a way, I feel sorry for Kate, because surely, some of her drive to continue the show is based in how warmly the public has responded to it. I've considered stopping writing my column for a few months now, but then I get an email from someone who says it really spoke to them, and I want to keep doing it because if people like it, I don't want to let them down.

I do think that the right thing to do is for the Gosselins to back out of the show and get their family back on track, if it's not too late for that. But just having had the teensiest taste of "going public" I really do sympathize with all of them. It's tough.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 25, 2009

They have done separate interviews so far, but they previewed them together, so it is still coming.

Is anyone watching? Jon was sitting at the birthday party with Alexis and asked is she missed him :( She said yes :(
    I have not been watching fully and I have not read all the things, but did he move out? Sounds like it...

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 25, 2009

Well, I cried. I just can't stand the death of a relationship. I hope it can be revived...

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 25, 2009

I think the editors filmed this one in a way that purposely displayed only Kate's warm and fuzzy side. Either that, or she has just become much, much better at hiding her negativity and being that warm and fuzzy person. And Jon was shown as pretty much void of emotion. They didn't even really speak at the birthday party....sat at different tables and everything.

I do have to say - after last season, I really liked seeing her actually DO things with the kids. Last season, it was always Jon, and Kate was always "away." Seeing her do some of the bday party prep, instead of hiring it out, certainly won her the sympathy vote.

I sort of snorted at how blatant her multiple references to the paparazzi were!! Their problems were not caused by the paparazzi (although I cannot begin to imagine being followed everywhere I go with my kids, and I wouldn't want that, not in a million years)...the problems were just exposed by them.

I'm not a fan of either of these people...and I do also think that some people were never meant to be married. They seem to have such different paths right now. However, the kids deserve a family, so let's hope they figure out a way to give them that.

Kim

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 25, 2009

I've read that Jon lives in an apartment above their garage! :(

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 25, 2009

I didn't view Jon as being void of emotion. I saw it as dejected, sad and tired.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 25, 2009

Not that I want to argue, as I'm sure none of us do given the sad situation, but I have to agree with giraffe326. I'm placing no blame. Sometimes you just wake up and realize life is happening.

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 25, 2009

They're killing me with sadness. :(

As much as Kate has been a bossy lady her whole life; I found it really sad that she "had" to put the party together by herself. My heart really went out to her. As yes, Jon, really looked so sad and castoff. Truly, alot is going on...and like Kate said...stuff was going on well over 6 months ago.
    I was waiting to hear them "get after" one another and giggle, well, not yet.
    On a light note...I must say...that it was a real pleasure to see Kate and the kids eating candy!! And she didn't have the kids use wipies after handling that rabbit, LOL:D

just listening to them; I am so sad for them. I know, if they both can look ahead and move on; they can make it work.

Prayers for them.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2009

I've only watched the show a few times before, but I'm aware of what's going on w/ them. So, is this what we viewers have to look forward to all this season? Episodes of sadness, depressed people, & showing them do things pretty much separately? I'm kind of surprised they want to do one more season of the show. I wasn't fond of the show when they were all together. I wonder will the show's ratings be better or worse than before.

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 26, 2009

By saying that Jon was emotion-less, I wasn't blaming him for anything, and it wasn't meant to be negative. I think we've seen enough of him in previous episodes to know that is not the case normally for him. I was saying that this whole "thing" has affected him, too. It's terrible for their whole family, not just for Kate and the kids.

16. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

May 26, 2009

I watched the show last night and for the first time in awhile, I felt bad for Kate. In the past, I've had mixed emotions for Kate (even though she is bossy, you need one parent to be a "lion" when you have 8 kids so things are controlled).

Even though this may have been discussed in an earlier Jon and Kate thread, does anybody think this can be part of a cruel publicity stunt?

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 26, 2009

:eek: I would hope not. No, I don't think they'd stoop that low. I think both parties are hurting badly.

If you see it from Kate's point of view...she was out promoting her book and news hits that Jon is out at 2 in the morning with college girls. Then a particular college girl's brother says that his sister is out with Jon and they are more than just friends...he can hear them in the other room (gag). Gee whiz; what wife wants to hear news like that???

On Jon's end...there is "news" that Kate is getting pretty cozy with her bodyguard which by the way, did you notice that he is not the same body guard that was in last nights show. This would anger most husbands.

anyhow; everyone makes mistakes. Kate says those rumors are false while Jon says that he has made mistakes. Apparantly, BOTH of them have.

I somehow got the sense that Jon is out sowing his oats, so to speak. Did anyone else feel that??
    And it sure doesn't seem like he's even happy to be around the family either...he HATES all the papparazzi watching his every move...didn't he say something about feeling like in prison? Kate's not thrilled either, but it goes with the territory.

Anyhow; thinking of the kids...they're getting older and the show is showing them with friends and they seem busy, but KIDS DO NOTICE and feel the tension.
    Jon and Kate are their parents; those kids LOVE their parents and don't all kids want their parents to be together?

It's a sad, sad situation for everyone. :(

18. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2009

My heart broke for them last night, they seemed to be genuinely sad about their situation (I hope I'm not being fooled by reality television on this). There was distance between the two of them and you never really saw them interact.

I think the worst part for me was when they were about to interact and Kate decided she was chilly so she walked away from Jon and got her jacket.

The dissolution of any relationship is sad, I agree JustMe. Just because they happen to be on TV doesn't mean it is less significant. I think many people don't feel sympathy because they chose to be on TV, but how many people could say that they wouldn't take an opportunity like that. (Maybe not let it run as long as they have.)

19. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

May 26, 2009

The thing is--you never know whose out for a quick buck. Jon's alleged mistress' brother, Kate's brother and sister-in-law coming out and saying they have a marriage contract, etc. People do cruel things to get ahead in life.

Good observation..I did not see her body guard.

I think they both are now really going to watch their actions in public.

I often wonder..when did it start to go bad? Did Kate or Jon ever mention this? Not too long ago they were renewing their vows. In the November issue of GH, the article made them seem like they had a good relationship.

Also, I thought I read somewhere about them seeing or going to see a marriage counselor.

They chose this line of work. At the end of their day its nobody's fault but their own.

20. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

May 26, 2009

That is exactly why I don't give them that much sympathy. They could have yearly updates or things like that..but this went too far. They should just quit now while they could potentially save their marriage.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2009

I watched last nite because I was curious. I'm not an avid watcher of the show. I have watched it the past, but I do get a little upset with how she treated Jon & the whole things with her one family member/or friend being offered money & she wouldn't allow it.

Tonite it was nice to see that Kate had some emotions as well. It was nice to see the "strong" Kate break down a little. When I looked at Jon I thought He looks worn down, but also a little upset with himself about the situation.

You know it's nice to know they are both there for their children, but as I have learned marriage is not just about the children...you have to "be with" each other as well as the kids.

Should be an interesting season to watch.

22. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

May 26, 2009

If their marriage is in limbo, why are they continuing on with another season? This could have been a one hour show on their situation and they could have taken a break to get their lives sorted out.

23. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 26, 2009

I watched the show alot in the past, but kinda of lost interest this past season. Kate was getting on my nerves with her endless picky-ness and general b---busting. I can't recall Kate or Jon holding hands, kissing (a peck on the cheek even) or being affectionate with each other. But I was surprised at the show last night because I thought the two of them would sit together on the couch and say everything was blown out of proportion, we're working it out --but they didn't say that. I was surprised that they were as honest as they were (but not telling everything)-they didn't put on a show for the series which I thought they might.

24. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

May 26, 2009

25. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

May 26, 2009

I thought it was odd that even though they aren't really speaking or in the same room that she still barked orders at him. By the way, how did he end up with a sports car????

26. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

May 26, 2009

He ended up with a sports car because they make 70,000. an episode!

27. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 26, 2009

Goes to show how observant I am not; I remember seeing Jon get in and out of a "car", but sports car? Didn't even notice.

anyhow...time will tell.

28. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 26, 2009

I agree...family should come first. As much as I liked watching the show both parents should relalize that national tv is not family counseling ..they need to get help and get off the tv!

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 26, 2009

I feel bad for the two of them. I watched the episode last night and almost cried at several points throughout. It was like you could actually see their marriage falling apart. The parts that struck me the most were 1) at the party when Jon and Kate barely spoke to each other and sat at separate tables, and 2) in one of the last interviews where the producers asked something about where they would go from here and Kate said that she was in it (I got the impression that she was willing to work things out) and Jon said that he was here for the kids....If I had been Kate, I would have taken that like a slap in the face. It stung.

It bothers me when people get so worked up and aggravated about Jon and Kate. I like both of them, based on what I've seen. Kate is controlling, yes, but I think she needs to be--she is running a household of 12! And sometimes she talks to people in a rude way...but if they're (Jon) going to allow her to do that, then that's sort of like tacit approval, yes? Jon is a little childish, yes, but again...it is what it is. We all have traits and behaviors which might not be 100% perfect, and I'm sure it would be hard to see those flaws magnified on TV.

They are a family with their own problems, just like everyone else's family I'm sure. They chose to display their lives on TV, yes, but I honestly, truly, seriously don't feel like most of us would have turned down an offer for hundreds of thousands of dollars like that. I think it's unfair to judge them for that. Jon and Kate have always seemed grateful for all the money and things they've gotten from being on the show, and they've expressed that gratitude over and over again since the very beginning.

I don't get why people hate them, especially Kate, so much. Get a life!

30. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 26, 2009

Because Kate wants the show. Jon has said over and over that he no longer wants the show. Kate keeps saying that she is happy and loves it. I think that speaks volumes.

I really don't think Kate is a good person. I was curious as to why her parents weren't in her life, so I did a little research and found out (from multiple sources) why. When she was pregnant with the sextuplets, her father, an assistant pastor, was able to get 6 cribs and tons of clothes donated from people in the congregation. Kate wouldn't accept the donations because they weren't new and the cribs didn't match.

Think about it: her entire family doesn't talk to her. There has to be a reason. They all talk to each other, but none of them to Kate. She's so "hollywood" now that it makes me sick. Remember when she used to make Jon pick out her clothes because she didn't even know how to shop? Now she always has to look so done up with her hair, make-up, and clothes looking perfect. They never show her in PJ's anymore.

Sorry, I kind of went off a little bit. I used to love Kate until the past few months, and now she really bothers me.

31. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 26, 2009

I've only watched the show a few times in the past. What I would truly like to know is what are the two twin girls like in school? Do they have friends? Are they cooperative? Are they argumentative to adults? Are they on grade level? I also wonder if the school and the adults the girls interact with had to sign any type of agreement in order to have them as students. Do they attend a public or private school? If it is public I don't see how any type of agreement could have been signed other than not publishing their pictures without consent.

32. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

May 26, 2009

I can't answer most of those questions, janlee,but I'm almost certain they attended a private school.

33. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 26, 2009

Jeannie didn't want to finish it, so I changed the channel. To her, they are a mom and a dad, and if they can fight and not love each other, so can any mom and dad- like hers. It really disturbed her.

34. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 26, 2009

My 2 year old always enjoyed watching the kids on the show. She saw a preview showing Kate crying last night and said, "Why is Mama crying?" :( If it makes our kids sad, imagine how THEIR kids must feel. They kept saying they were there for the kids, but those poor kids.

Side note... did anyone notice the girl Jon is allegedly cheating with is a teacher?

35. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 26, 2009

Yeah, she's a 25 year old third grade teacher.

Kate has allegedly been cheating with her bodyguard, "Mr. Gray".

36. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 27, 2009

My 3-year-old son saw one of the previews and said excitedly, "There's Jon and Kate!" Then he paused and said quietly, "No. It's just Kate."

I saw the new show. It really is sad. Thousands of families have been through that, but not on TV. I kind of wish TLC had more integrity and would pull the plug on them. Of course, I should have more integrity, too, and stop watching the train wreck.

Contracts. I know - contracts. I just think years from now Kate is going to have so much regret over forging ahead even though it is tearing them apart. Not that there is a guarantee they'd stay together if there wasn't a show, but at least they could work on it without tv cameras.

37. aeger908

aeger908 Rookie

May 27, 2009

I've known they were getting a divorce for a long time now. I just graduated from kutztown university and was at the bar the night Jon came to it.. on valentines day! He was there buying drinks for all of the girls and when i asked him about the upcoming season he did say it was going to be good. and then i asked about kate and he started going off on how much he hates her. then after the bar closed he went to my friends place and hung out with the girls. he wouldn't leave until they practically had to kick him out at six in the morning. He was then at smokey bones in reading sitting at the bar again telling people how much he hates kate. I feel bad for the kids. but not kate. shes a bitch. the house they moved into is my co-ops teachers gyno. she was a bitch about the whole fridge thing. they are nice people and she didnt even think about them when she was saying the mean stuff she did.

38. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 27, 2009

I think things have just spiraled out of control for them. It seems that things have been building between both of them for a long time, and they never took the time to work on their relationship when is started to go downhill. If you think about it they started the show when the sextuplets were 2. I think welcoming cameras into a house with 8 children, 6 of which are 2 years old is moving too quickly. I don't think 2 years is enough foundation to get routines and such down for 8 children. I'm sure they started the show with good intentions, but as we can all see it's gotten out-of-control.

I think the limelight has changed Kate a lot. It seems that Jon resents the fact that he was forced to quit his job to stay home with the kids while Kate travels the country on her book tour. Which in a way is understandable. He said in the episode that he's worked all his life, so obviously it's been a hard adjustment for him. But also, Kate was a housewife for years and got the chance to get out and live a little.

Jon and Kate is just another example of the ugliness that happens to marriages and families when they are put on reality TV.

39. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 27, 2009

I want to know where the kids were during all this??
    Where were they when he had people over, including the homewrecker? Where were the kids, and what were they seeing?

40. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 27, 2009

I don't think it's been said that he's had people over.

I think it's kind of drastic to be calling the woman a homewrecker. No one knows whats going on in their marriage. I don't think it's fair to be calling this woman a homewrecker when no one knows the whole story. There have been rumors (confirmed by Kate's brother) that Kate said she wanted the relationship to end and he could do as he pleased.
    http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...-shocker-her-brother-says-their-marriage-over

Well, the kids will definitely be seeing this in the future when they google their parent's names...

41. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 27, 2009

The teacher was photographed in a bikini sunbathing in Jon & Kate's yard.