So, once you send in your application, what is the best way to follow up without look

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Peachyness, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

Normally, I just send in my applications and just wait to hear from them (and sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't). However, there is a particular job that I am in the middle of applying to right now, and I would LOVE to get my name out. I would like to contact them after I officially send in my application. But, I don't want to look desperate or annoying.

How long should I wait before contacting them?

Phone or email?

What should I say? :eek: "Hi, this is Peachyness and I really want this job! My name is Peachyness, yup, that's right. Peachyness. Don't forget that name when you go through hundreds of applications." :whistle:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

Any way you can walk the application in and actually talk to someone?

Then your inquiry email would be their first one from you. You can say you're "checking the status of your application."

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2011

I just called this (Mon) morning about a job I applied for. I applied on day 2 of it being posted on 6/29 & the app deadline was Fri., 7/8, so I gave them a full week.

ME: (Asked to speak to the personnel secretary.) "Good morning! I applied for the speech-lang path asst position on June 29th and I want to make sure you received it & when you'll start calling for interviews."

LADY: "Well, out of the 100 apps we received, not every app is checked to see if all the req paperwork is included. When the dept who handles paper screening is available, they'll narrow it down to 6-10 people and start calling."

ME: Do you know if they'll start calling within these next two weeks?

LADY: It's hard to say since the dept who handles paper screening may still be on vacation.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

I would like Alice suggests, if you can. Walk it in, then maybe call later to check the status, like 3-4 days later (unless they thank you and say "We won't know anything until..."

You don't wan't be bothersome, but at the same time, you do want to leave an impression, and have them remember you.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

Unfortunately, this is through edjoin. I can't walk it in. They want you to apply online.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

Oh I know all about Edjoin. Okay, well it was worth a try in case you could do that.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2011

Yep, I applied through Ed-Join too. When I logged into my acct, the most I could see SO FAR is that the district viewed my app.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

I didn't realize you could see that!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2011

Yes! So even though you can also print a confirmation as soon as you send th app, you should always check back, log in (on Ed-Join), & it will hopefully show that the district viewed it or not. I don't know how many various things it could say (i.e. app submitted, not viewed, district viewed, etc.)

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

Wow! Well, I haven't used EdJoin in a while, since being here, but I had used it in the past and just didn't realize. I still occasionally go there to see the job postings out of curiosity.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

Knowing that your status can be found on edjoin, then, what is the best way to call the school and get your name out? I don't want them to say, "well, check ejdoin, dear."

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2011

Well, you can email and call & maybe hopefully get two DIFFERENT peoples' reply. One may give more info than the other.

If anyone says about checking Ed-Join, just so you won't look like a nuisance, play dumb & say, "Oh, I didn' t know you can check the staus there." But try to find out when they'll start calling for interviews.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

Would it ever be too direct/tacky to just ask, "what can I do to stand out?"

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

OK, then apply through edjoin, and send a letter to the principal via snail mail. If you have a brochure, including that can be your excuse for writing.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

Alice, the position itself doesn't state who to contact and it says I may work in one city or work in another city. When I thoroughly examined the website, there are many different school sites that spans two counties. I would have no clue which principal to email. So, I was just thinking of called HR personnel about it.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

Oh, I would go for EVERY one!

You can get a bunch of vistaprint brochures, and send one to each principal in both counties. If somehow this job doesn't pan out, you may be opening a door you weren't aware of.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

Hmmm, yes, I didn't think of that. :)