So... ODD question.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 25, 2009.

1. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

I get the "she's a snob" feeling sometimes, but it's really only from people who don't know me. And since I've been here forever, as has most of the faculty, they know me by now.

I don't really understand why some call me intimidating. Like you, Ms. Jasztal, and like many others on here, I know my "stuff" and I'm good at what I do. I take teaching seriously, and am willing to put a lot of effort into constantly improving. If that's intimidating to some, then my feeling is that they can "step up to the plate". I'm not excusing myself or toning down what I do and what I know to anyone to make them feel better.

Luckily, I work with a lot of people who are the same way in terms of knowing what they are doing. We have a high level of free and reduced lunch and still manage to stay at the top of the county on test scores. There is a ton of respect for each other at this school.

2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 25, 2009

I'm definitely an extrovert! I've been a talker since I was born according to my mother, but I'm also good at listening without jumping in with solutions. My hair is (by choice) an unusual bright shade of red, which tends to add to helping me stand out in a crowd. Considering I'm 5'1", it's impossible to stand out in a crowd literally since I can't SEE over it. :p

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2009

I am introverted- very much so. ESPECIALLY around adults.

I tend to be sarcastic at all times, including with my students (though much mellower with the kids). I usually get giggles from it, since I teach 5th. I learn quickly which kids I can really have fun with and which I can't. I had a couple of kids who were truly talented in the area of sarcasm and it was lots of fun.

4. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

I´m the same way. And I was the same way, too.
    When I get together w my closest friends, life friends, teacher friends, club friends, I´m very talkative, funny, w a good sense of humour, I like jokes, but what I like the most is getting w my girlies up to midnight or mooooooore... YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE THEM

At school I am a professional but also I show the students the actress I ´ve got inside, so we generally end up laughing and writing , laughing and reading at the same time, I think my kids enjoy my lessons, I consider it so so so essential!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

It's so cool seeing who is identifying with one another. :) I am glad I started this topic.

6. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

How are you if I were to meet you face-to-face? Friendly and talkativeAre you more of an extrovert or introvert? Introvert
    When you teach, are you loud or more of a calm spirit? I'm guessing I will be more of a calm spirit
    When you interact with your students, are you immensely professional, a goofball, sarcastic, dramatic, quiet and calm...? Guessing...I will be calm and professional, possibly a little sarcastic at times.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

I really am enjoying reading all your replies! Me...I'm an extrovert but in an inquisitive way. I'm not out there and loud but I do speak to strangers and make jokes with my students. I'm not shy of people I don't know, much to the horror of my own children. I just asked a man walking his dogs if I had enough room to park and he said it would be a tight fit. I thanked him. My kids shook their heads at me. What? It's not like I'm asking the man for a date...jeeesh!!! LOL
    I have an internal comedy routine running through my head most of the time. I'm witty, sharp tongued when needed, and eager to help others. I have been accused of being too "happy". Saaaah--reeeee!

8. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

I am very shy with people I don't know, including online. This is even true with other kids in the school, who are not my students. When I get to know people well, I am extremely talkative.

In the classroom, I am goofy, and the kids would never guess that I am a shy person. I am very aware, though, about when I have to be serious. It was difficult for me last year, when I took over a class with around 2 months left of school. They had had several teachers, and I had to be the serious teacher all the time, or they were bouncing off walls and getting into trouble.

I am always told by observers that I am a very calm teacher. I hate being observed, I get extremely self conscious (even though I always get good feedback).

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 25, 2009

I am the SAME way. I'm loud and goofy in my class, but have a lot of social anxiety around adults. It is very hard to overcome. Sometimes my anxiety gets so bad that my body goes numb and I can't find the right words to express myself. I'm very smart and love to speak to people with similar interests. I'm introverted around some people, mostly other adults. I always get weird ideas in my head that people are laughing at me or that I am making myself look like a fool. It is a bit of OCD.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

Extrovert here, I would be your best friend immediately and you would think, "I feel like I've known Hoot Owl all my life." I'm dressed to a T every day, jeweled up, every hair in place, with flat shoes. I'm only 5'2", 120 lbs, blonde hair (I think there's a lot of gray there but I'm not going to find out any time soon.) Vain... I am.

I'm very, very soft spoken in the classroom, a mothering type. I nuture everyone on my hall way as well. If I thought you needed something, I'd get it for you. I'd be the one to organize your wedding or baby shower at school. I'd ask you how you're doing and expect you to give an honest answer.

11. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 26, 2009

I am a very quiet, but sarcastic person with adults, but when I am in the classroom, I am loud (my principal says he can hear me teaching in my normal voice down the hall) and very silly but, I am always professional!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2009

Although I am not soft-spoken, I am a mothering type as well. One of my graduating grade 8s said that I was his, "mom at school".

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 26, 2009

It's funny. I don't consider myself to be maternal at all but a lot of my students see me as a second parental figure. Maybe because I can't / don't have children of my own it allows me extra room in my heart (not to mention my schedule) to be contacted at crazy hours. Perhaps I'm more of a zany aunt than a motherly type.

This is NOTHING against those teachers who are maternal in the classroom and at home!!! This is just where I see myself.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2009

Only my parents & BF know how truly funny I can be. Other people don't give me the chance to get to know me that well.

Great minds think alike! ;)

You're right. When words are just being read on a computer screen, people can easily take things the wrong way, which is why I'm glad there's emoticons to help us out! :)

15. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

Very shy as a child, difficult background and childhood.

As an adult, very outgoing now with regards to my career. I feel that I have done very well and am well-respected by my peers. Put me in my work environment and I can talk, lead, give presentations, etc.

HOWEVER, outside of work I'm the same person I always was. Introverted, shy, retreat to my shell, avoid social events that are not work-related.

It still bugs me that I'm that way outside of work. Why?????

16. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Jul 26, 2009

TiffanyL - we must be Twinkies!

I am very shy outside of school, and I'm perfectly happy going nowhere except school. I am trying to work on this, but I'm unmotivated to change. I like my life.

Sometimes I feel like a big faker at work because I'm outgoing and funny and they all think I'm normal - haha!

I've had kids introduce me to their moms and say how fun my class is, etc. while all I can do is squeak out a hello and painfully try to muster up some small talk. I feel like that singing frog on the cartoon - their parents must be wondering how in the world my class could be fun.

17. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

"Sometimes I feel like a big faker at work because I'm outgoing and funny and they all think I'm normal - haha!"

THAT is so me....ha ha. At work, I'm fine with adults and kids. But, boy socially outside of work, very uncomfortable and very antisocial. :(

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

I'm fair, fun and firm...Fair to me means kids get what they NEED- not necessarily the SAME. Kids know what to expect from me- they know I will support them in their learning, listen to them, teach them the way they need to be taught, and treat them with respect and understanding. Fun- kids are engaged in their learning- we play music, learn with partners or in cooperative groups, play math games, jeopardy, spelling hangman...we laugh together, enjoy each other...there have been one or two thread recently about getting learners motivated...that's never a problem in my classroom- we're motivated because a love of learning is modeled, enthusiasm abounds and we're all in this together, let's have some fun with it is the mode...Firm- while we're having that fun and living together for 7 hours a day, there is an understanding that there are expectations for behavior. We make a class code of conduct together. We live and work together with an understanding that we are to respect ourselves, each other and the school. I don't have fancy stop light systems or stickers for behavior- we create a classroom community where cooperation and respect are the norm. Kids feel safe because they know what to expect from each other and from me.

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

I'm resurrecting this thread just because I enjoyed it some much and would love to have a few more responses... even though I didn't start it.