So... ODD question.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

I know we are all outgoing on here because it is the Internet and it is exciting to "talk" to all kinds of people by just posting responses. We don't know what most of us look like, how we act, what we think...

But...

How are you if I were to meet you face-to-face? Are you more of an extrovert or introvert? When you teach, are you loud or more of a calm spirit? When you interact with your students, are you immensely professional, a goofball, sarcastic, dramatic, quiet and calm...?

Just wondering!

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

To answer my questions, I am on the louder side and kind of a goofball around my students, though at the same time I am professional. However, I tend to get introverted around some co-workers I don't know as well. I have social anxiety and sometimes it is a great challenge to overcome, though I don't really get it in the classroom. It is more around adults. Though I am opinionated and full of thoughts, I am not always completely willing to speak up in fear of making a fool of myself or my idea being rejected.

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 25, 2009

You walk into my classroom to hear "Thriller" playing. You sit down and begin your do-now. Ms. S. is dancing around the classroom as she checks homework. Do Now is done and over with, we get serious...with some jovial banter.

5. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 25, 2009

I'm a mix

When I'm with my close teacher-friends I'm a goofball. I can goof around with the best of them. When I am in the classroom, I am professional. My kids know I am there to teach them but at the same time I try to make it fun. I like to laugh and joke around with my kids. I will play kickball with my kids at recess (usually as pitcher for both teams). Not a pretty sight to see me run! :lol: And, my bones can't take it anymore! :D

I'm a very organized, routine-oriented person, but I am not against change. I like to try new things. Sometimes though, I need help seeing how an idea will benefit me more.

I am introvert when it comes to standing up in front of a crowd speaking (even our group of K-12 teachers at back to school meetings).

My family considers me to be quite the airhead sometimes. I like to tell them that my mind is elsewhere!

At school, I am known for multi-tasking.

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 25, 2009

I am a very sarcastic person. In class I can be very fun and keep things interesting. That is ONLY when my class understands my rules, so that pretty much doesn't happen in Sept at all. Around my friends I am kind of loud and I'll be honest here, I am sometimes rude or so people say LOL. I'm not shy to talk to anyone, even the people at work that I can't stand because at work you need to be professional regardless of personal feelings. Don't really care when people don't like me, I figure they just don't get me. IDK, I find myself quite charming. hahaha

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 25, 2009

I'm an introvert & a very calm, even-tempered, & quiet person. However, I can be firm & a little loud w/ students if I have to be.

What some people may find interesting is that the ENTIRE time I've been a student in school from pre-school through college, I've never once raised my hand to ask or answer something. I prefer to sit & listen the whole time. :)

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 25, 2009

I believe I'm more introvert because that's what I am as a person. I'm shy and quiet around most adults and I usually worry about what I'm going to say to those I work with. I think I'll gain more confidence as I teach for longer--- right now I'm a newbie and I feel that most things I say sound stupid or should be answered in a better way.

Around kids, it depends. I'm usually less shy around students, but it takes time for me to warm up to them. I'm a lot better when I don't have other teachers observing me and can get rather loud and goofy/dramatic to get my kids engaged. I've been known to hop up and down or sit on desks during class time. Break one of my rules though and you'll either one of my "looks". I am trying harder to ignore more things--- they're 5th graders so they squirm a lot.

I like having fun though and I like getting students to think. If that means we just have to sit there quietly and think about the question, then I'm find with that--- quiet doesn't unnerve me. Getting loud in class is starting to not bother me either--- as long when I listen to the group talking, they're actually working.

My attitude and personality also depend the amount of stress I'm under and how much coffee I've had that morning :yawn: The local coffee by my school has a special blend that has 33% more caffeine in it... I get that often.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 25, 2009

I'm the same way--- I totally prefer to sit back and listen instead of question things. I often need 24 hours to digest something and then I can come back with questions. My Supervisor kept trying to get me to talk more often, but it's just not happening right now: I need to observe as a new teacher. Another teacher gets that about me and she sticks for me during discussions. :)

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 25, 2009

I was like that in High School. I would only raise my hand if I knew my grade would be affected. Also, I noticed some people just liked to hear themselves talk and you could tell by the questions they asked. I didn't want to be one of those people.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 25, 2009

I'm very sarcastic with the kids and a bit of a goofball. I'm very calm and patient with them, but can get firm if I need to be. I have been known to tap dance, sing arias (very off-key) or talk in funny voices. I stood on a table last year to demonstrate perspective and where a cowboy hat during small group (so they know not to interrupt-whoa!). With people I know well, I'm funny and outgoing and tend to talk a lot.

However in groups of people, like at faculty meetings or staff celebrations, I retreat back into that shell. I still have trouble talking in front groups. It's funny, I never participated in school either and will still sit in the back if I have a choice.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

When I meet a new group of people, I'm fairly introverted, but once I get to know you, I'm the silly one.

In my classroom, I'm a total goofball. :D

13. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

That is exactly how I would describe myself.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2009

This sounds almost exactly like me!

My voice is not quiet and my laugh is loud and hearty; you usually know when I'm in the building! While I have always been very shy, as I have gotten older and have more experience I have become more comfortable with adults at school. As part of my Special Ed role, I need to give brief presentations frequently at staff meetings and this is now second nature. In new social situations, though, it can take me a long time to get comfortable.

15. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

This is definetely me, too.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2009

Oh. I thought this thread was about Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

17. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

How you described yourself, Ms. Jasztal, is a lot like me too. I have social anxiety -- especially around adults. I don't socialize much with my coworkers but prefer to spend time with my family and with people on online forums. (I don't know what all the people with social anxiety did before the Internet!)

I am very soft-spoken and pretty calm. However at the same time I use subtle humor in my classroom. I like to give off a vibe of being open, especially to students, so that they know they can come to me if they need anything.

At home with my DW and DS, I'm a complete goofball. Almost anything is grounds for joke content with me. :)

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

I'm an extrovert for the most part. My classroom is very active and I am on the louder, energetic side. I rarely sit down. We joke around a lot too but we also get down to business when we need to. I tone it way down if I'm in big meetings or staff development type things.

ETA: I also hug my kids a lot, squeeze cheeks and such. It's just me. I am close with the parents as well but don't necessarily hug or squeeze them!!! My home is comedy central.

19. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

I'm an extrovert. Depending on my mood and the 'vibe' I get from meeting new people, I can either jump right in or just watch and listen offering some words here and there.

I feel 'animated' for the most part towards my students. I make faces, will place a stupid song that goes along with a lesson (my kids think Im insane when I do that). I can be professional and serious when necessary.

When I'm with my family or friends I'm close to..I'm a complete and utter extrovert, talkative. I love to laugh and enjoy life around anyone-I am always me with anyone, though I only give pieces of myself until I've known a person for a while.

Quiet and shy are two words never associated with me. My junior year science teacher did call me an airhead once (though I did wonderful in school) I've always preferred to sit at the back of the class for a couple reasons: I hate people looking at the back of my head and two, I like to observe other people..okay three..quicker way to get out the door when the class, seminar, lecture is over with (this works great when its a boring/bad event!!)

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

Upsadaisy, my first thought was Oppositional Defiant Disorder too! :lol:

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2009

Great minds ....

22. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

Once I get to know people, I'm an extrovert. Even in situations where I have a purpose (like in a staff meeting or leading back to school night or in a training class), I have no problem speaking up and participating.

I am uncomfortable in large groups where I know no one, though. New social situations throw me sometimes. I think it's important for me to perservere, though, so I keep putting myself into those new situations, and eventually, I'm comfortable and enjoying myself.
    Kim

23. caslan

caslan Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

Actually, I'm a lot more intorverted online than I am in person.. I guess I worry that my sarcastic humor won't come across right b/c it is obviously not accompanied with my tone or facial expressions. I joke around a lot, but my students know that we only have fun as long as we are being productive and staying on task. I can turn it off when I need to. I love to laugh and always speak up at meetings, in conferences, etc... then I always blush! LOL...

I'm generally just pretty silly, always doing something stupid. My students came in from recess last year to find me lying flat on my back on the floor.. They were a bit confused, but I ignored them until they sat and got quiet... then I hollered...."HORIZONTAL" I gave them a minute to absorb before standing up without a word, and stretched my arms above my head and announced "VERTICAL..." Thus the attention getter for my lesson :) If there's a funny/silly way to do it, I like it, because I think the more unconventional, means it's more memorable, and creates more of an impression.

Obviously, I like to talk! The only time I "hold my tongue" is when I'm learning something new, but I don't hesitate to ask questions... (that's how you learn things) :)

24. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 25, 2009

IRL I'm an introvert who struggles to talk to adults. I think of myself as socially challenged in many cases because I'm never sure of what to say.:confused:

As a teacher with kids, I can be on the loud side.:blush: I am more extroverted around kids and tend to relax a little more. I have no idea why. I guess that is because I am a big kid at heart.

25. Susan82397

Susan82397 Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

At school, I'm definitely an introvert when it come to work stuff. I still have self-esteem issues, so even after working with the exact same group of teachers for 5 years, I still don't speak up at grade level meetings due to a fear of saying something completely stupid. In my classroom, I'm much more extroverted unless there is another adult in the room. I HATE evaluations/observations, even though I know I'm doing what I should. I am usually pretty serious in my room, but I can be fun/silly at times too.

Outside of school, or even at school with friends, I'm not as introverted as much as I use to be. I like being silly and having fun, but I don't like to be the center of attention. I like to blend in.

26. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

You just described me! :thumb:

27. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

In most situations, I am very shy until I get to know people (even on this board, I think I lurked for about a year or two before posting). In school, however, that never bothered me. Even as a student I would speak up in class, where I wouldn't have in other situations.

Around people I know well, I can be very goofy and sarcastic.

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 25, 2009

I guess you could say that I'm reserved around people I have just met, but I can open up fairly easily with poeple once I have observed for awhile.

When I'm in my classroom, I can be whatever I need to be depending on the dynamics of the classroom. I teach five different groups of students per day, and each group has a different "feel".

Among staff, I'm the one that is organized and can be depended on to get things done on time. I can work with anyone, including the "difficult" people.

29. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

If I first met you, I would be quiet but friendly. I smile a lot. I'm pretty calm around people I don't know, but I have a tendency to want to be alone and not in crowds, so I would probably excuse myself earlier than others.

Others describe me as having an air of self-confidence that is sometimes off-putting. I am very self-confident, and I do easily get tired of adults who are "stupid".
    However, I am polite. Always. I will just excuse myself from the conversation if it's tiring to me.

Wow. That sounds so awful.

I am very professional at school. I am creative and organized, and know how to teach. I immediately start thinking of solutions to problems rather than dwell on the problem. I will also tell you exactly what I think if you ask me, and sometimes it's not what you want to hear. I have a hard time tolerating fools, but I'd rather walk away than stay and argue.

I am very friendly and will stop what I am doing to listen to you if you come in. (I had to train myself to do that.) I am a hugger, but again that doesn't come natural. It's part of my goal of keeping myself from becoming a recluse. I consider the principal to be my younger brother.

I am a total goofball in class. A poor singer who belts it out anyway. I get bored with routine. Lots of review games. Lots of different ways to teach someting. Lots of laughter. Can be sarcastic, not in a mean way, but very funny. I don't know how half of what I say comes out of me. I am definitely not quiet.

I enjoy the offbeat child. Love gifted kids, but work hard with kids who don't "have it" so that they can shine, too. Get easily annoyed with excuses and don't hold my tongue when I think a kid is being lazy or spoiled. Am a master at the teacher "stare". Can make a poorly-behaving kid melt into a puddle of remorse in two seconds flat.

30. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2009

I'm an extrovert, tend to be a bit loud :), goofy, dramatic. I really identify with Historyteaching's description.

When the situation calls for it, though, I can be quiet and calm. I don't want to overwhelm my more-shy students. One of my major accomplishments last year was pulling the two shyest girls in class out of their shells ;)

The kids limbo into my class sometimes in the morning :haha:

I don't like to be too sarcastic with kids, but I do love a good joke, and I think it's important to have a positive, upbeat atmosphere in the classroom without too much disruption.

When I was in elementary school, I was a real nerd BUT I was also a class clown. I have found that I am much better working a crowd than one-on-one with adults, but I can do either with the kids. Even though I am an extroverted people-person, I prefer not to get too close with people except those of my choosing. Does that make sense?

31. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

Are we twins??? I feel like I have the same personality, minus the social anxiety. I'm kind of shy around new people, but I don't think I would consider it social anxiety.

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2009

I tend to be more of an introvert until I get to know people better. When I teach, I tend to be a mixture of loud and calm, and my interactions with students tend to be sarcastic professional.

33. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

I like that definition..."the sarcastic professional"! That's perfect for me.

34. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 25, 2009

Me too!!:rofl:

35. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 25, 2009

Nope, we would have to be triplets! This is me to a tee. I am very animated in the classroom, but awkward and shy around adults-at least until I am comfortable. I don't trust easily, but once you have my trust-you have it forever. I also have lots of opinions and thoughts rolling around, but unfortunately, I don't always keep my mouth shut, and I often speak my mind. Not always good!

36. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 25, 2009

Couldn't have written a better description about myself with only a minor change. I wasn't called an airhead but a "ditz." It was my geometry professor in the 9th grade. He told my mother that he couldn't figure out my logic on my proofs, that I went to London on the way to Dallas, but that I got the answer in the and could explain to anyone how I got the answer and was normally one of the first finished.

At school I attract the so called "bad" students, majority male, but boy can some of those females give them a run. I play it very straight with them on their choices and set very high and stringent standards. We all know or will learn when to play and when to work. My students think I'm a bit crazy and I need it that way because I have had to get in a face or two.

37. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2009

ME TOO! EXACTLY!

38. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

I am very confident in the classroom. I hug my 2nd graders (if they want) and laugh with them all the time. However, they never disrespect me because I am very firm and strict from day one. I don't let anything fly and if I have favorites, they'd NEVER know!

I love to sing in my loudest voice when we sing our Friday school song and national anthem. I start a conga line sometimes when they play music at the end. I am a big fan of Ron Clark and will do just about anything to keep my kids engaged as they learn. But as I'm teaching, I don't allow slouchy students, chatting/whispering, busy hands, or heads on desks...they take me serious! (Don't worry, I do allow/encourage noise as we work, but not if I'm explaining something at the board).

I am always second-guessing myself around my colleagues and assume everyone knows more than me. I have raised my hand at a few staff meetings to answer questions, but only because I was 100% sure I had a good answer. Otherwise, I listen-nod-smile-hum:whistle:.

39. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

We listen to Thriller on Halloween, if that counts. :lol:

40. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

We're VERY similar. :cool: When I was a student, though, I liked sitting in the front, though I was very quiet as a kid.

41. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

No, no, no. Not awful. I have to leave conversations that are non-stimulating and not pertinent as well. I don't get involved in gossip at work- I actually roll my eyes at it, though sometimes I need to stop and just regard it as... umm, below me, I guess. :rolleyes:

I am GREAT with the teacher stare. My mom says it comes from my grandfather.

I get bored with routine, too, and I purge weird ideas from the back of my brain to get the whole class energized. I'd be the student who would probably go off on my own retreat if the routine wasn't varied in my class. I was bored in times at school as a kid.

I relate extremely well to Gifted kids. ...Perhaps that's why I am the advanced fourth grade teacher. I remember when I had a certain student three years ago who was an absolute genius- and he shoved some kind of trivia puzzle in my face for me to solve at the end of the day. I turned out solving it after about ten minutes and shocking him.

I also relate extremely well to (I guess I will say they are) the underdogs. The kids who never really fully got the recognition from their former teachers, but are extremely intelligent nonetheless. I love watching them realize how much potential they possess.

I get along really well with my administration and a select group of teachers. Sadly, not all the faculty. Some people disregard me because of my age/only going into my sixth year of teaching. It's humorous; online I can tell them anything in a social networking environment and give them great comments about pictures, but in real life I can be in a shell and people tend to regard that as me being a "snob". When you see a group of teachers laughing heartily together and catching up, most of the time it is not me... or I am kind of standing there feeling slightly out of place. It depends on who the teachers are. I can see through people very easily.

Whoever said their home is Comedy Central... my classroom is probably also Comedy Central. :lol: You can tell by my excessive emoticon usage at times.