So Nervous....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Maithal, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

Hi Everyone!
    First of all, I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'm incredibly nervous about this job interview. I NEVER get nervous for interviews. It's because the job is far away (50-55 mins away). I still live at home with my parents and I'm very close to my mom and do not want to move if I can avoid it.

On one hand, I know I'd be sad if I didn't get a job here. They have a few elementary positions in the district. Then on the other hand I would be glad if I didn't get a job b/c it's so far.

My interview isn't till 4pm, but I'm leaving in a little over an hour (at 2pm) to make sure I arrive on time.

I can't take this nervous pit I have in my stomach. I tried deep breathing earlier and it didn't help.

AHHHHHHHH! I want this to be over with.

If I don't take the job, I have a job I accepted in the next district over from me where I'd be a intern subbing daily (guaranteed to work everyday) with medical benefits (no dental). I'd make $110 a day. So, it could be worse. I was told I could still interview which is why I did. I applied to this school randomly one day when I got desperate. I've had about 5 interviews this summer but nothing came of them.

I almost wished I never applied to this district.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2007

You would have to move for about an hour commute? I don't think so.

Maithal, listen to yourself....... if you recall you had many posts before saying how desperate you were for a job... now you have the opportunity and you "wished you'd never applied".. What?

Listen, put on those big girl panties...... go on the interview do great and get that darn job already...:)

Geez, I'm close to mom to but you don't have to end your relationship for a job

4. mincc

mincc Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I agree with MissFrizzle.

An hour is NOT that bad,esp. when you are in a crowded job market!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

A lot of people in the city I live in commute well over an hour each way to work in Toronto, my husband among them. Long commutes really are the norm in many urban areas. While it would be difficult for me to do it as well because of after-school and evening commitments that my kids have, if that was the only option, I would do it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  6. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I drive an hour to work and still live at home also. The drive isn't really that bad since I am saving by living at home. Be happy if you get the job and TAKE IT!!! :)

7. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

An hour drive is nothing. Think of it as a great time to prepare or reflected on the day, depending on which way you are going. I had a long commute for my last job and I thought it was wonderful.

8. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

i agree. an hour (or less than) is NOTHING!! most ppl with any job commute to the city to do it. i live in the city, but not in the urban area. i'm about 2 steps away from the suburbs, so i almost always have to commute for at least a half hour. what did you want? a job up the street? you wish you didn't apply? and then what? not have any offer or possible job? i think you should be thankful and grateful for what you were offered-some of us are looking into other states (to commute to) for work. do what needs to be done dear.

9. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

not to mention, even IF you felt you would HAVE to move, that's not that far away for mom to come visit. and trust me, (even though it's def cheaper to stay home as long as possible), you'll enjoy the freedom from the rents. it's nice having your own to come home to at night. esp. after those loooooooooooooong days. but that's IF you really felt the commute was ridiculous.

how'd the interview go?

10. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

I agree with all of you. I'm not a huge fan of change though that's what scares me. I want to live at home as long as I can so I'll try to make that commute if I get the job. Could be worse. If I don't get it I know it wasn't meant to be. That's all. At least I have a job as an intern sub making very good pay and benefits for the school year if nothing else.

About the interview- I had to do a writing sample on the computer which asked to pick a grade and write about the literacy program I'd implement in my classroom. I picked kindergarten.

There were 7 people on the interview committee. I'm suppose to hear within a day or two. They have several K-5 openings so we'll see where it leads. All I can say is that I tried my best.

For now I wait.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 22, 2007

I just applied for a job that is a bit over an hour away from where I am living now. I didn't want to especially after learning that it is only a half day position (so carpooling won't be a possibility) but... I really want to teach this year. Considering that I haven't driven in snow for 3 years, I am really scared about travelling this far.

I hope you get some good news Maithal! I lived at home as long as possible too. I only moved because my parents decided to move out of the country:lol: . They did offer to build me a room with a separate entrance on their new house though...

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

Driving in snow is like riding a bike... you never forget. (Well, that's Long Island snow. Snow in the amounts you get in Canada might be a different story :) )

When will you hear?