So nervous!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kellie McGrath, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Sep 4, 2016

Hi all,

My first day of school is Wednesday...is it common to have non stop thoughts about how I am going to be terrible at this? It didn't start till this weekend but I just keep thinking I have no idea what I am going to do with these kids! I am going to mess up their entire education! My room is all set up, I have the first three half days planned with procedures and team building activities but I am just so nervous that I am going to suck at this.

Please tell me this is common lol

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2016

You're not thinking or feeling ANYTHING that we didn't ALL feel! Truth. Ride it out and celebrate the good days, you'll be fine.
    :):clapping::clapping::thumbs:

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2016

Yes, very common! The good thing is...your kids won't know if you screw anything up!!

On the first day, concentrate on getting your kids to class, getting lunch, and getting them home. If you don't lose any, consider your day successful :)

MsAbeja and MrsC like this.
  5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 4, 2016

Agreed. My principal literally told us on the first day that our goal was to get the kids in safely, feed them, and get them home safely. The end : )

Luv2TeachInTX and bella84 like this.
  6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 5, 2016

Just remember to be good to yourself this week.
    [​IMG]

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 5, 2016

Lol. That's EXACTLY what my principal said to us, too.

8. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Sep 5, 2016

Thanks guys! We start with three half days so that should help. Ease myself into it. It's also a catholic school so we have mass and a bunch of other random things as well. :)

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 5, 2016

Of course you aren't going to mess them up! And, yes, it is common. To ease your nerves, make a list or file of easy games you can play when you have time to fill or need to change the direction of the action. Even if it is as simple as I Spy or "I'm thinking of a word that starts with..." Praise them when they follow directions. Ask them to introduce themselves to you. If it ever seems to get out of order, use your selected attentions better to stop them and redirect. Good luck. I bet you have a great, if exhausting, time!

10. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 5, 2016

I always feel the same way you do before the kids arrive. Once they walk through your door your teacher brain will switch on and it will be smooth sailing!

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2016

The first day is always exciting and filled with nerves, both for students and the teacher! I start with the kiddos tomorrow and I'm so eager to get this first week over because I know the second wee is so much easier once they've been introduced to all the procedures, rules, drills, etc. This housekeeping week is lots of fun but the more lax structure definitely takes it toll on the kids and on us. Have fun, relax in the evenings, and eat well. All will be good!

12. Bo C

Bo C Rookie

Sep 7, 2016

Easing students into the new school year can be a challenge as well, and making it easier for students might in turn make it easier on you as well. For example, concentrate on short term goals like classroom assignments, note taking skills, or reading comprehension. Field trips are another way to ease students into the new year. Just a few thoughts!

13. RookieTeacher16

RookieTeacher16 Rookie

Sep 7, 2016

I am a rookie teacher and if I survived a day with no AC at our over crowded school then you will be find on your first day. :)