So Much Neagativity!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by iteachbx, Jan 31, 2014.

1. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2014

There is so much negativity in my school I can't stand it anymore! I'm not saying my school is perfect or that I don't have 100 things I'd like to complain about, because I do, but I feel like it's all that anyone does anymore, even people that are normally very positive. I just hate being around it all the time because it's starting to bring me down. The people I'm talking about are not the kind of people who are going to jump ship in the middle of the year, but everyone seems to have the idea that the grass would be greener somewhere else. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't, from reading on this board and talking to other teacher friends I know we could have it a lot worse. "We know we're going to be in this until at least June so could we try to be a little positive about ANYTHING?" is what I want to yell in their faces. But I'd probably just be looked at as crazy for not being completely miserable. I guess I'm just a pretty positive person who despite being stressed still does genuinely love my job (am I the only one?!?!) and I do look forward to going to work most days and I'm not going to sit and dwell on the parts of it that stink. Ugh, just had to get that off my chest. I know plenty of you are in similar situations!

3. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Jan 31, 2014

My building gets that way sometimes. The negative energy can really drag a person down. I usually try to change the subject or tell a funny little story to get the negative people on another track.

I did some reading about how to protect yourself against negative energy. One suggestion was to imagine surrounding yourself with a
    bubble of white, positive energy. During the day keep that image in your head. When you encounter negative energy imagine it bouncing off of the white, positive energy bubble that is surrounding you.

I have tried this before and is usually works pretty well. I think the imagery of a white bubble of positive energy around me with negative people bouncing off of me like bumper cars is funny, so I am sure that is partly why it helps me. :D

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 31, 2014

I agree that if one or a few people are being negative it can bring down the mood of an entire group.

However I think it can work the other way too. Try being proactively positive.

Every time I ask our PE teacher how she's doing, she always responds with "Great! Every day is great! It has to be! If you make your day great it will be great!" She is a woman nearing (or possibly already in) her nineties, and has been around since the founding of our school in 1964. I think she's very wise, and her positive attitude reaches everyone around her, and this coming from a woman who I am sure is feeling the aches, and pains of age every single day.

5. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Feb 1, 2014

Wow! She sounds like an amazing person!

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 1, 2014

At lunch we have a policy to NOT talk about school or student issues . It has helped some with morale.

7. AliLand

AliLand Rookie

Feb 1, 2014

I once worked in a school that seemed to foster a bitchy blame everyone one else culture- it was horrible! I don't know what reasons your colleagues have, but they are missing a huge opportunity. One time a few years back I had a hellish few months - topping the list were deaths in the family, a miscarriage, my husbands employment sinking in to industrial action and the resulting loss of home. When I got out of hospital, my head came round to ask how much time I needed, I begged to go straight back.
    One of the best things about teaching is no matter what is happening in your personal life, you can really throw yourself in to work! Over the next few years, they area I live descended in to depression as economy collapsed, kids were effected greatly. Luckily all my fellow teachers are like me, we do listen to each others rants, but every one of us pastes on that smile to greet the students, creating a positive upbeat environment that's not only good for teaching, but I feel truly lucky to have a place where I can leave troubles out side.
    You having a positive attitude might not help the other adults, but it will make the kids happier - create your own happy space!
    Good luck

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2014

Thanks everyone!

9. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Feb 2, 2014

Prozac will do that to a person. ;)

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 2, 2014

I would stay away from anyone negative. We have 3 teachers (1 is a LTS) who stand around together in the morning, when we're supervising students. Nothing's wrong with standing around, but I rarely join them, because all they do (especially 2 of them, with the LTS being the leader) is joking and complaining about the students. The way he does it is so arrogant, I can't stand it. He's bragging about how he doesn't care if the kid fails, and when he talks about behavior issues he always emphasizes that he doesn't care and he's just degrading and negative. I certainly would be mad if he talked about my child like that, and I know the P wouldn't like it either. It's hard to explain how and what he says but I CAN'T STAND IT.

I don't want to be around it. I find teachers, TAs, counselors who care and chat with them.