So much for the fall back job!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mommyserenity, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Apr 12, 2010

I've been serving as Director of Education for a local Christian school for over four years now and found out today that my job has been deleted for next year. they are keeping me on thru mid June and giving me four weeks severance. So much for a fall back job if I can't find a teaching job.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2010

EEK, sorry mom...Stay determined... :love:

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2010

Aww, sorry to hear that but think of the positives....4 pd. weeks off in the SUmmer!!!! AND maybe this will push you out of your comfort zone and give you that extra push to search for a teaching job for this fall.

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2010

I'm sorry to hear that. I truly believe everything happens for a reason so stay positive that you'll find where you're truly meant to be.

6. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Apr 12, 2010

When one door closes, another one opens! Maybe you are just making room for something great!

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Apr 12, 2010

PCDiva...with my job, I was paid to work from home in the summer so I could be with my kids. It was one of the reasons I took the job four years ago since my husband's job has him traveling about 95% of the time. So, unfortunately this just means being home without my regular pay.

I am trying to stay positive that something surely will open up for me. I've sent out over 55 applications already this year, not including public school applications. I've sent out 45 of my portfolios to all local schools around me and emailed the principals too. Our area is in bad shape....the county we live in isn't hiring at all. Letting go 131 teachers. The county next to us let go 500 teachers and 500 classified jobs as well. It is just a bad time to be looking to go back to the classroom I guess.

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2010

So sorry Mom!
    How about starting a Pre-School @ your home?
    I've got 2 friends who have their own schools and they love it.
    Good luck with your new plans.
    Rebel1

9. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Apr 12, 2010

Rebel...that is not an option for me. I have no desire to bring children into my home for personal (and liability) reasons and our particular neighborhood has about 15 in home providers already in business. It would also not qualify me to keep my certificate up to date and I can't afford to lose my certification. I am looking at teaching preschool just to bring in income since I've done that before too.

I am hoping to find a private school with an opening if public schools don't pan out to try to bring home a decent amount of money and to use my degrees for a change!

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 12, 2010

Have you tried Georgia Virtual Academy or Georgia Virtual School? You know me, always pointing out the online schools. It would allow you to teach from home.

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Apr 13, 2010

Cat...yes, I have looked there but there are no jobs. I also saw a post in our newspaper for another online school, but upon "checking" it out I believe it to be some sort of scam as there is no real contact info etc...when you go to the website.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2010

Oh no...I'm sorry sorry. I hope things work out for you!

13. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Apr 13, 2010

I think what kills me the most is I apply for jobs that I am overly qualified for and can't even land an interview for those.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2010

You know the old saying....

"When God closes a door, he opens a window."

Your window is out there somewhere. Don't get discouraged, just keep looking for it.