So many songs, CD,s, how do you organize them?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by zoey'smom, Jul 1, 2011.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

I teach both Kindergarten and Preschool and I do a lot of the same songs, but I have so many songs, CD's and books of piggyback songs, I forget what I have. I then find a song a few months later that I could have used. Does anyone have an idea on how to organize my music? I thought of a notebook and put all the songs I use and what CD or book they are in, but this seems a little time consuming. If I would have one or two notebooks it would be so much easier to see what I have to go with a theme, instead of going through all those books and CD's. Any other suggestions? What do you do?

3. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Jul 1, 2011

I had the same problem this year. I have so many songs that are on notecards punched to fit on a little ring. I think I may start color tabbing the sections or something to make it easier for me to find where everything is. Mine are sorted by topic/theme right now, which seems to work fairly well.

4. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 1, 2011

When I taught elementary music I used binders. Songs were alphabetized in each section. I also suggest making a table of contents for each section. That way you'll know what you have (or are supposed to have in case it gets misfiled). I use the following subdivisions for seasons/ holidays: ( I may have left some out)
    Back to School - Aug
    Fall - Aug & Sept
    Halloween - Oct
    Thanksgiving - Nov
    Veteran's Day - Nov
    Christmas & Kwanzaa - Dec
    Winter - Jan
    Black History Month - Jan
    Valentines Day - Feb
    Groundhog's Day - Feb
    Women's History Month - March
    St. Patrick's Day - March
    Easter - March or April
    Spring - April
    Mother's Day - May
    End of School - June

I also had binders for other topics...
    Rounds
    Echo songs
    Cumulative songs
    Songs from Countries (America/ Africa/ Latin America, etc...)
    Songs with Different Styles (dance/ reggae/ calypso/ sea chanteys,etc...)

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

May I ask, how long did it take you to get the binders organize? I think this is a great idea, but I am worried how long it will take to organize it.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 1, 2011

One thing that I did that helped was putting all the songs I used everyday on one CD. Some days, I only needed that one: days, months, counting by 5's and 10's, letter songs and a few of their favorites: Animal Action, Wide Mouth Bullfrog, Ridin' on the Bus, Cupid Shuffle, Cha Cha Slide, etc.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2011

You could load the CDs onto iTunes on your computer and organize the songs into theme folders.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

I also put all the songs I use everyday onto one CD so I didn't have to take CDs in and out and hunt for songs. I also made a couple of songs of the movements songs I use most. Like you, my goal is to get them all organized but.....

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 1, 2011

I 2nd & 3rd this idea! :D Use Windows Media or Itunes & create your playlists. You can then burn a back up copy of each list. What I love about Itunes is that you can actually print out the list of songs with 1 click. I'm not allowed to use Itunes at my new school (our tech guy is anti-Apple). But at my old school I had thousands of songs categorized in playlists on my computer. :)

Also put the cds you make into one of those CD cases or CD flip boxes (these pockets come color coded). You can keep them sorted by category that way also.

10. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 1, 2011

I don't remember exactly how long it took...but it was worth it. First figure out your categories. Then lay out your dividers (with the title on it) around you in a circle (with you in the middle) or in rows on tables. Then take a chunk of your music and start sorting. If you get stuck or torn between categories set it aside. (Maybe put a sticky on it with cat. choices & later make a copy & put it in 2 categories). I think it will go quite fast especially once you get in a groove. I love binders and have binders for pretty much every music topic in my basement (composers, choir, band, programs, music notes, theory, styles, musicals, etc...). Each binder is divided into subcategories. The great thing about the system is every time you find a new song you have somewhere to put it (where you'll actually be able to find it again)! :lol:

11. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 2, 2011

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I love the cd and notebook idea. I am still a little worried about the time factor of getting it all done, but I think it will be well worth it. Maybe I will start with the songs I use a lot in the fall and everyday then add more as the school year goes on.