So Mad!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by chebrutta, May 12, 2009.

1. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 12, 2009

I literally just got of the phone with the RUDEST woman ever at the NC licensure office.

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row so that when FL issues my professional certificate (hopefully in about 3 weeks - they seem to be fairly quick as long as it's before July) I'll already have everything filled out and ready to go pending this one sheet of paper.

She continuously cut me off in the middle of my questions, and when she answered me, it was in a bored tone of voice that clearly said "You are interrupting/bothering me and I want to get off of the phone with you."

I asked about one form stating I completed an approved educator program. I didn't - my BA is in English; I just took the education classes the state told me to. She cut in with "You'll need the state to write a letter saying you completed all of their requirements and showing us how they determined your certificate." Um. Right. They'll get right on that. I thought that might be covered by the issuance of a professional certificate.

Next question... Highly Qualified form? "No. Just send my score reports from Florida." I told her we don't take the Praxis in FL and the website said wasn't clear on that regard. Her response? "Whatever."

Transcripts - directly from university or official sealed transcripts in my application package? "It doesn't matter. Just send them."

Teaching experience form - filled out by school or school district? "I don't know."

Non-teaching experience form? "No. Don't send us that. We don't care." Literally, she said that. So why have the form if you don't need it?

So. I'm steaming mad, I'm venting all over you guys, and I'm not sure if any of my questions were actually answered or if this woman is just screwing with me. Seriously. I don't want my application package to be all wrong, and I get screwed over in terms of having a license issued in time for August?

Advice is needed. Chocolate would be nice, too :)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 12, 2009

I hope you got her name, and I hope you're going to write a civil but thorough letter to someone up the chain from her documenting her attitude.

If you already have a district in NC interested in you, it might make sense to go to the district and ask for help in sorting out what you have and what you need. If not, you could perhaps go through the equivalent (if NC has such a thing) of a county office of education in the area in which you hope to work.

Best of luck getting everything sorted out.

4. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

May 12, 2009

I don't have much advice because I'm in the same boat. I thought my certification was all set in February, then they told me I have to take another test, which is of course only offered 3 times a year. ugh. I take it on Saturday. Hopefully it will get wrapped up quickly!

There seems to be very little reciprocity between states now. Is NCLB to blame?

Maybe call back tomorrow and see if someone different answers the phone? I've done that will some luck. Or can you email them?

Good luck!

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 12, 2009

No I don't think NCLB is to blame - I think alternative certifications are part of the confusion between states now. Each state has set such different guidelines for alt cert's so it does become a difficult job to verify. So, it becomes difficult for everyone - also, if you don't have teaching experience it becomes more difficult.

This doesn't excuse rudiness :mad: Maybe it might be easier to call a college or university to find out exactly what you need. If I remember correctly, UNC, Appalachian(sp) State and ECU are good teaching colleges.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 12, 2009

Oh yes, I have her name. And the time of the phone call. And the memory of a recording telling me the call would be monitored.

I'm just frustrated because a) She was so rude! The last time I spoke with someone in the office, she went out of her way to answer my questions about lateral entry vs. reciprocity and was so sweet! and b) I really don't know what in the heck to send in now. I have a feeling that whatever I send in, it'll be the wrong thing or filled out by the wrong person.

Fortunately, I called a school district and she managed most of my questions regarding applying for jobs.

And that was my issue with alt. cert. - I didn't do a program. In Florida, you can opt to take PD classes offered by the district or you can take college classes that meet the requirements. I opted for the college classes because it was much faster and didn't involve every Saturday for the school year.

7. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 12, 2009

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Usually Southern states are much nicer. I had to call TN licensing department in regard to my ESOL endorsement on my TN teaching license. I graduated in December with a BA in Elementary Ed (S. FL you also take ESOL classes) and I hold a FL teaching certificate with ESOL endorsement. Anyway, you'd think I'd automatically get the endorsement in TN but NO! The lady I spoke to started out to be a little abrupt and not so nice sounding but I killed her with kindness and she started to ease up. I'm sure my lady thought she was going to have a fight on her hands with me but what could what that have done me? The answer would have been the same...gotta have my transcripts reviewed by a local university to make sure that I have completed the courses needed for the ESOL endorsement and THEN I have to take another test. Uggggggghhhhhh....frustrating since I bet TN doesen't have the amount of ESOL students S. FL has!

Anyway, I just wanted you to know I've kind of been there but your lady sounds much worse. Good for you for not losing your cool! : ) And writing a letter to her supervisor is a great idea. Good luck!

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 12, 2009

By the third disinterested/rude response I would have asked to speak with her supervisor immediately.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 12, 2009

:hugs:

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 13, 2009

I am licensed in MI but moved to NC and have a license there too.

I never called them - didn't have the time nor patience to deal with it.

MI doesn't have Praxis either we have the MTTC - I copied it and sent with my application, you can do the same with the FL version.

Approved educator program? If I remember it, it is send to the university you went to - admissions and they complete it. I contacted my school first and made sure who should get it - they got back to me asap and I knew who to send it to.

Transcripts - I sent the official copies I had already on hand and they accepted them.

Teaching experience form - I can't remember what that looks like?

If you want you can PM me anything else you want cleared up, etc on NC and if you really want to come here....lol :p

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 13, 2009

I have been working on an issue since Dec. I always ask for names, and let them know I am making notes. The last time I called, I was able to state, xxx said this on Jan. 18. My advice, keep notes so you can discuss the advice you get and quote who said it.

12. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 14, 2009

Old Teacher, excellent advice. I had to deal with a cell phone issue once that taught me that I must always make notes and take names. I do the same now when dealing with my certs and things. : )