So... long-term sub questions

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Backroads, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 10, 2019

Little bit of background...

Husband and I recently discovered we had a big accident of the unplanned variety, if you catch my drift. This means I will likely need a long-term sub at the beginning of next school year.

However, I'm not entirely sure how my district handles such subs. As it stands, any subs for one or two days here and there are completely on us to find and arrange. Which is fine, but for some reason the sub pool is behaving a lot differently these days. I could very well be wrong, but I also think I may be in charge of finding my own long-term sub.

Last time I went through a more anticipated version of this, my charter school just up and hired someone for me.

If you've ever been in charge of finding a long-term sub, how did you about it?

CherryOak likes this.
  3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2019

First...congratulations!
    Next, check with HR and see what their policy is on maternity leave and subs. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Backroads likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 10, 2019

Ditto on the congratulations, coupled with wishes of good health to all concerned. I can't imagine having to find my own long term or even short term subs. Around here, we may gripe about who they get for you, but it is still their job to find and hire any subs as needed.

I'm so happy for you!

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 10, 2019

A coworker just asked a regular sub if he would be interested, then called HR and said he would do it. They like to find someone certified, but that’s not always the best fit.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2019

We have no say in our long term subs.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 10, 2019

Our principal chooses long-term subs. They have to be a certified teacher here.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 10, 2019

NJ is exactly the same way - someone working on a sub certificate can't stay in the classroom for more than 20 consecutive days. If the teacher is out for more than a month, you really do want someone who is capable of creating their own lesson plans based on the learning standards, someone who is truly well versed in the content area. Here, the school advertises, interviews are held, and the replacement is hired before the regular teacher goes on leave. If there is a reason that the regular teacher needs to be out longer than expected, the sub can stay longer with no loss of continuity.

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 10, 2019

In my district (and many in my local area), all of our subs are hired through a temp agency. So we don’t advertise or hold interviews for long-term subs. They are simply selected by the principal through the temp agency. I do think it would be better to hold interviews, but, unfortunately, we have a sub shortage, especially when it comes to certified long-term subs.