So I've heard the next two years are going to be golden for job seekers.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pete2770, Jun 30, 2012.

1. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Jun 30, 2012

This summer it's still going to be rough though.

However, one of my professors was saying that starting in the spring of 2013 and ending in spring of 2014 (though continuing on for the next couple of years - just not as dramatically) there is going to be the mass exodus of baby boomers from the field. Massive retirements that will leave a lot of positions to be filled.

Everyone should keep a strong head, because if you're in the market the next two years you're almost guaranteed to get a job.

I'm in a rural district and I personally know 5 teachers that have already stated they're leaving in 2013. There are a bunch more that I know will be going in 2014; not to mention all of those that keep it quiet up until they retire.

It's a good time. Don't give up on teaching. We get to see the mass retirements a couple of years before the private sector. :)

3. springmac

springmac Companion

Jun 30, 2012

I hate that colleges do this! My professors told me the same thing...not true. With budget cuts and a high number of qualified applicants, it will still be tough. I don't want to sound negative, but I hate it when colleges do this. They've been doing it for years...

4. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jun 30, 2012

I agree I heard that when I finished my credentialing program 15 years ago! It was all about this HUGE amount of people retiring. The Golden Apple Program. Never saw a huge amount of teacher jobs come available. It is just something they say to keep new teacher's hopes up. (sorry to be such a downer)

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2012

Go look at websites that include pictures of their staff. You will find very few baby boomers left. They have trickled out over the years or are holding higher positions. A mass exodus will never happen. Ever.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 30, 2012

I was told this in my program 25 + years ago. I don't remember it happening at all. It sounds good, but just doesn't happen.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2012

I think it may really depend on location. I heard that my district has at least 10 teachers retiring next year. Now, I'm not sure all those jobs will be replaced, but it's something to think about.

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 30, 2012

I have been hearing this for years, too. When I left teaching 8 years ago to raise my family, I was told not to worry because so many people would be retiring. This hasn't happened yet, and with the economy in the shambles that it is, it's not likely to happen soon.

I wish that universities would be a little more honest. Granted its up to the students to do their research, but to just keep admitting and spewing out hundreds of thousands of grads who will not find jobs seems so cruel, in a way. The numbers simply do not support all of those grads finding jobs. And many of them have significant debt to pay off.

9. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jun 30, 2012

I think it may depend on the state as well. It has been predicted that many people in Ohio will be retiring before 2015 because of the major changes happening in the state retirement system for teachers - something 88% of your highest paid years will change to 77%. But, I agree that this won't be a mass exodus, more like a few here and there every year.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 30, 2012

I was chatting with an unemployed friend yesterday (she lost her job at a private school due to lower enrollment) who is in NJ. She had a first interview in a district and was told there were 15,000 applicants for the 2 positions they have open (elementary job). I double checked that they said 15,000 and not 1,500 and she said yes, 15,000. So sure, there may be people retiring, and maybe even more than in past years, but if in one school 6 people retire instead of 2, how much does that really matter when thousands of people are applying for the job?

Oh, and I got the "baby boomer retirement" speech when I got my certification 4 1/2 years ago too.

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 30, 2012

I think this time it may be true because teachers close to retirement don't want to deal with the new demands being imposed on teachers and are choosing to retire earlier. I know of 3 schools that had about 5 teachers retiring in each school this year. These are not very large schools either. At my school 2 teachers retired this year and 2 for sure will retire next year because they don't want to deal with the chaos going on right now in our district.

An article even came out in our district about the large number of teachers retiring this year.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 30, 2012

I was told that in the early nineties...didnt happen. And I don't see it happening at my school in the future. A lot of teachers are working past retirement age because of medical insurance prices in my state.

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 30, 2012

We have similar things going on here. "Mass Exedous" but replacements are not really happening from external sources that are not TFA or other alt ceetification programs. A few new hires here and there. This from a district that less than 10 years ago when I was hired did really appear to have many openings, especially in schools that were deemed "undesirable."

14. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 30, 2012

At least in my school we only have 1 new person coming in. We have lost positions.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 30, 2012

I've heard this about Ohio as well. I think you will see some more jobs but not a huge amount. The district where I was just hired is small but still had about 5 retire this year.

16. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 30, 2012

I'm a boomer and I took advantage of early retirement in the business world; because of changes in the retirement plan. I get free health care (pension for life not 401K) until I turn 65 then my insurance becomes my secondary. (at no cost)..I know 5 teachers in my former state that are retiring next year for the same reason. Maybe, there is some truth to the rumor this time???

17. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2012

I think there may be a little truth to the rumor. I also know quite a few in my district planning to retire soon. My mentor teacher retired this year.

But, at most, with all the out of work teachers, budget cuts, and new grads, I would expect this to ease the pinch in some areas only slightly. It might be more noticable in the harder to fill positions like some math and science.

18. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 30, 2012

donziejo, you worked for a business that offered a pension? Wow, I thought those died out ages ago!

19. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 30, 2012

I did! I worked hard for over 25 years and am well compensated. The health care alone is wonderful!!!

I see how much teachers and others are paying for health care in monthly premiums and wonder how they get ahead. Especially those with young children.

My twins have young families and they pay a fortune too, along with high deductibles.

This is why I think the rumor may be somewhat true as the 5 teachers I know that are retiring are getting out grandfathered in to their pension plan.

20. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 30, 2012

Our county had 127 people either retire, or leave for other counties, at the end of the year. None of those 127 are being replaced. :dizzy: my mother in a baby boomer and will retire in two years time. She works for one of the largest, and very well known, private schools in Georgia. She has been offered packages twice already by her private school to try to get her to go early since she has been there 30 years and is the top of the pay scale. Two teachers at her school retired this year and neither are being replaced. Her admins have stated anyone who retires will not be replaced, but other teachers will take in more responsibility to make it work financially. It sounds to me in our area, unless things drastically change, retirements won't do much to change the limited positions up for grabs.

21. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 30, 2012

Wow, Mommyserenity, that is a shame. I hope it's not true for everywhere. Someone has to educate the children.

22. missklyssa

missklyssa Rookie

Jun 30, 2012

I'm going to echo what a lot of people have already said: I was told the same thing throughout all of my time in the Education block during college. When graduation finally rolled around (I graduated in December 2010) very few of us secured jobs for the Spring semester and not even half secured jobs for the 2011-2012 school year. Things are looking much better this year, yes, but I think there will always be reason to worry.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 30, 2012

I was told the same thing in 1993.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2012

I've been reading that same statement for a good decade. Before the economy crashed, it might have been believable. But now??? When people's retirement incomes have gone up in smoke??

I'm curious--- just WHERE did your professor get this information? Can he cite you some sort of a source? Was there a Quinnipiac survey or something?? Or is he basing in on the idea that record number of people may become ELLIGIBLE for retirement??? Where are the statistics that back up his claim?

Remember, ANYONE can write an article. I can write one now on the effectivenss of chocolate ice cream in combatting bug bites. The fact that I've just made up that correllation doesn't prevent me from writing the article.

Schools of Education are in the business of not only teaching people how to teach, but also in convincing them that there's a chance they'll have a job after they earn that degree. If students don't believe that their "dream job" will be waiting for them on graduation, those professors may very well find themselves unemployed.

Do your own homework. Find out where the jobs are, both in terms of geography and in terms of field. Don't give up on your dream, but don't believe unsubstantiated claims about the job market either.

25. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2012

I was told the same thing all throughout my college career several years ago. Even when I was in HS thinking about going into education (which would have been 10 years ago now) I heard the whole "baby boomers" thing. Sorry, but I just don't think it's true. More people may be retiring, but they're not being replaced. If anything, more retirements might make it a little easier on currently employed teachers b/c they may not have to worry about RIFs as much- but I don't think it will do anything for people looking. Colleges need to be more honest with their graduates.

26. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Jul 2, 2012

I heard it as an undergrad in the early 90's and again as a grad student in the early 2000's. I'll believe it when it actually happens. Unfortunately here in Ohio, when teachers retire they typically don't get replaced due to budget problems.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2012

The baby boom ended in 1964, so the younger end is only 48...there are plenty in that age range still alve and kicking... ( and kicking the you know what out of many a new grad)... So don't write off us baby boomers quite yet!:dizzy:

28. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 2, 2012

This is purely anecdotal but both jobs I have had were retirees. So sometimes they are being replaced. I do know one school offhand that didn't replace a social studies retiree.

It might be different where I am though because it would have been really hard not to replace the English teacher that retired. They would pretty much only be able to have one section of each grade level for English.

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2012

Sorry! Didn't mean to offend! I just know that a lot of teachers took buy-outs. All of my K-5 teachers have been retired for several years now and I know they could have kept going for at least another 10 years. Now when I look at websites, they all seem to be in the 25-40 range!

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2012

You'd never guess I was my age if you saw my school photo. Teaching third graders keeps me looking young!

31. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 2, 2012

This conversation just made me think of the video I saw in Bio my sophomore year of high school, maybe 2002. It said cancer would be cured within 6 years. The video was made in the 1990's.

People always make statements like these because people will always hope they are true.

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

I'm a 53 year old baby boomer with 3 kids aged 14, 12, and 9.

Don't look for me to retire anytime in the next decade. And anyone who thinks that age 65 is still the magic number is misinformed. I love what I do, and have no reason to think that I'll be ready to stop doing it in 12 years.

33. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 3, 2012

I won't be able to afford to retire when I turn 65! And I'm at the tail end of the baby boomers!

34. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2012

That's what my dad keeps saying! With all of the budget cuts and other nonsense he really got screwed over retirement fund wise. On one of our last days of school my AP said, "Hope you all look forward to doing this until we're 85- because at this rate none of us will be able to retire until then!"

35. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 3, 2012

If I only had a nickel for every time I have heard this over the past twenty-five years! There will always be retirees - and we had more than usual last year due to state issues - but there are always lots of young teachers out there looking for jobs. I really think that you just need to be persistent.

36. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 3, 2012

o_O My professors told us that its a horrible time to become a teacher, and there are far too many older and experienced teachers out there, and we have almost no chance of getting hired, and basically "Run! RUN AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN!"

I stayed, and I got hired. Woot.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

That's the other end of the spectrum--- also a horrible way to approach it.

I think that prospective teachers should be told that it's very competitive, tnat they're going to have to expect to face some pretty tough competition. But that every year, new teachers DO get hired. And that if they're persistent enough and good enough and lucky enough, they'll be one of those new hires.

38. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 3, 2012

It also definitely depends on your subject. Math and Science teachers will have a far easier time getting hired than ELA or Social Science teachers in general.

Though a lot of PE teachers have been hired from my program so far, which has been interesting.

39. Sunflower883

Sunflower883 Rookie

Jul 3, 2012

The school I left has 6 positions, 3 of them were from teachers who moved to another school (including me). The school I'm going to has 3 positions. A friends' school has 5 positions and I just interviewed at a school that has 10 positions open that need to be filled out in 3 weeks.

A friend of mine just graduated in May and the school where she did her student teaching was so impressed with her that they hired her right away.

There are positions out there. The school with 10 positions is not in a very good neighborhood but it may not be too bad to get some experience.

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 3, 2012

I'm not about to say that things will be terrific in a year or so - but it's also the case that education is a cyclical job market (and sometimes, as with those PE teachers getting hired, the subcycles can be a bit bizarre).