So it's 10 minutes to midnight and...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by サマンサ, Aug 4, 2010.

1. サマンサ

サマンサ Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

I just wanted to get it out there that it is so hard to go to bed every night here in Japan. With all the social networking sites, and everyone in the U.S.A. online at this hour, it makes it so difficult.. I am 13 hours ahead of the East Coast USA.. Everyone is online right now!! Bah. But I have to be up in 8 hours to get on with my day, starting out with a CrossFit workout (any CF'ers here????), then a cat nap followed by prepping for two ESL classes to teach.
    Anyone else have the same problem with falling asleep, whether you are stateside, and have friends/family overseas, or vice versa???

As they'd say in Japanese: Oyasumi おやすみ aka. Goodnight.

Great site by the way. Very nice people!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2010

I've live in southern California my whole life. I've always been a night owl, but not w/ staying out all night, but just staying up late at home, watching TV & being on the computer. DUring vacations & holidays, I can easily stay up until 2am, sometimes 3-4am PT. During work days, I try to go to bed at 11pm, but I've gone to bed at midnight here & there.

I'd love to visit Japan someday & I'm pretty sure I will! I know a few words in Japanese, but I wish I could speak it fluently. (conichiwa, combanwa, my #s: ichi, ni, san, she, etc.)

No one I know is in the military. My dad used to be in the Army before he even met my mom. My ex-BF was a Marine.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 4, 2010

I want to visit Japan so much! My grandmother is Japanese. She and my grandfather used to go almost every year. Wish I could have gone with them while they were in good health :-/

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2010

How long have you been in Japan?

I would imagine that, once you have the chance to make some local friends, it will be easier to make the switch. Your days will be more taken up with typical daytime activities, and you'll be more tired at night.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

How long will you be in Japan?

How should we address you in English, since we probably don't have the Japanese characters on our computers?

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2010

My family (wife and 3 boys) is in Japan right now on a 2-month trip. Sleeping is definitely an issue. I feel terrible if I oversleep on the times to call them when they'll likely be home, and my sleep cycle never seems regular while they're gone. I wake up sometimes at 2 or 3 am, or sometimes sleep through to 8 or 9 am on weekends or get sleepy in the middle of the day.

Probably those who don't have katakana on their computers can call her Samantha (the katakana are literally "samansa", which is as close as Japanese pronunciation would allow to "Samantha").

日本語 を がばりますね! おやすみ, サマンサせんせい.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 4, 2010

3人の息子、何barimasuですか?

ところで、あなたはGoogleの翻訳ありがとう!

9. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2010

:eek:ばりますね

すみません

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2010

Nihongo wa dame

Translation for the rest of you:

"I can't speak Japanese"

:p

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 4, 2010

私は何かが悪いと言うのですか?おっと!

くそのgoogle!

12. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2010

違う, ぼくはちょっとまちがえただけ. "ん"が忘れました.

It should have been:
    (サマンサさんが)日本語をがんばりますね

But Google translator seems to have issues. It shouldn't be inferring the "I" in the corrected sentence at all.

The Japanese it produces looks okay to me, though. How did you get it to produce "くそのgoogle", though? If I put the various English synonyms of くそ in I can't get it to produce it in Japanese...

eta: google translator is quite unforgiving of minor typos.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

I think this computer's got katakana - Macs are pretty good that way - but I blush to confess that I don't spell (or read) Japanese.

(Yes, there are things that TeacherGroupie doesn't know. Deal with it, gang.)

14. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 4, 2010

:spitwater: Learn something new everyday. :lol:

I love google translate too. However, it does have minor problems. I translated "happy year of the tiger" in Chinese for my Chinese friends on facebook. But my friends told me that my wording was slightly off.

Samantha, I don't know personally about having friends in major time zone differences. But I have had friends who struggled with sleeping because their spouses were in different time zones.

15. サマンサ

サマンサ Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

I understand English :) I'm American! Don't worry about Japanese characters :)

16. サマンサ

サマンサ Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

Maya, that definitely makes it difficult as well. My husband is probably in another time zone, sometimes I don't know what time it is where he is, wherever he is. Hehe. That's the Military for ya, but thank goodness for e-mail. Oh and speaking of, he works nights, so that is when he can e-mail, which is probably another reason why I don't get to bed until late :)

17. サマンサ

サマンサ Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

Me either!!! I only know a little to get by, like on the trains out in real Japan. I live on a base, which we like to call little America. Everything is Americanized, tv, internet, (we do drive on the opposite side of the road still), the grocery store is Americanized. hehe. It's nice to have the luxury of living in little American and having the advantage of being in real Japan as well (outside the gate:thumb:)

18. サマンサ

サマンサ Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

I really only know my name, and my husbands name in Katakana :) So don't feel bad :)

19. サマンサ

サマンサ Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

daijobu desu!!!!!! Which means, "it's okay!"

20. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 4, 2010

I spent some time in the Mariana Islands and had trouble with the time difference.

I would get phone calls from the east coast of the U.S. at 4 a.m. in the morning.

Commuting to and from there and the east coast meant that I was in a constant state of being a zombie. It would take me a week to adjust to the time.

21. サマンサ

サマンサ Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

Yeah it's hard when you get phone calls at 3am... That's why I put my phone volume down low at night, and hope it's not my husband calling me from the ship!

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2010

It sounds like a real adventure. What have you enjoyed the most so far?

23. サマンサ

サマンサ Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

I absolutely love it. I really enjoy the people, the food, sightseeing, Just being able to experience it, really is just incredible. People dream to be in my position.
    Sometimes it's hard with my husband being away so much, but being able to go explore another culture, definitely keeps the time flying. I have to admit it does bother me that a lot of the spouses on base complain about being here... As I said before, people dream of being here!
    EMBRACE IT!