So incredibly frustrated

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsL, Aug 12, 2015.

1. MsL

MsL Rookie

Aug 12, 2015

So I finished my teaching program last year. (A year of unpaid student teaching, half of which was with a teacher who told numerous people point blank they didn't like teaching.) I have been applying left and right to the jobs I could find. There haven't been many in my areas (health and history). School starts in a week and a half, I'm jobless, and now my former professors are suggesting I limited myself with my endorsements...endorsements I pursued at their suggestion!!!! Pretty much all of my peers from the program have been hired and I'm just really struggling to keep my hopes up. All of my interview have gone great (as I've been told by the folks who've interviewed me as they call to tell me I didn't get the jobs).

Any suggestions? Any encouragement?

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

Aug 12, 2015

what are you certified in? where do you live?

4. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 12, 2015

I was in your position 3 years ago. I did not get a job my first year out of college. Instead I had to go back to the part time job I had in college(department store) and felt like a loser. I was losing my mind trying to figure out why I couldn't get a job.

The next year I started to applying to jobs outside of the area I lived in. (still in same state) I got a job in like March/April that didn't even start until the next school year. I had to be one of the earliest hires for that school year. Oh and I love the school I'm at even if I am a few hours(4) from my family/friends.

Broaden your search, keep your cool as much as possible(I went a bit crazy), and just keep at it. One I thing I wish I would have done before was sub or get a parapro job instead of going back to my part time job. It was a bit of an adjustment that first year getting my head back in the school mode.

5. MsL

MsL Rookie

Aug 12, 2015

I'm certified in secondary health and history/ss in Idaho. Unfortunately I've applied all over my state and still nothing. If something doesn't pop up in the next two weeks I'll probably be subbing the whole year. I'll start looking into parapro jobs though. Thanks :)

6. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 12, 2015

I recommend what someone said and apply to other districts. Health and History are from what I see, difficult positions to get especially health (I'm certified in Health as well and often times PE teachers teach health, not health teachers).

Usually adding a math, science, or special ed. endorsement does help.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2015

History and LA or History and sped would have been a better combo in terms of making yourself competitive. :sorry:
    Health teachers tend to be PE certified...

Any chance you can add on any of these endorsements?

8. MsL

MsL Rookie

Aug 12, 2015

I can try to add endorsements... The only problem is my state no longer goes by transcript hours, instead requiring the teacher teach the subject they are seeking endorsement in. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but that's what they always helpful department website says.

9. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 12, 2015

MsL, I am in Idaho, too, and it took me a year after I was credentialed to get a job. My degree was in a saturated area (Elementary Ed.) and I was "somewhat older" than the traditional first year applicant.

Just hang in there and have your Plan B ready to. I took a part-time para position and hit the ground running when the following year's hiring season started. I was hired quickly.
    Sheilah

10. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 13, 2015

What you send- cover letter/resume has to stand out! There are tons of applicants and most are screened in 30 seconds or less... Interviews can go well but the admin want to make sure you fit well with the staff/culture of the school- all candidates are qualified but why are you the best for the position?? What makes you unique and a must have?? Answer these honestly and go from there