so I learned from my mistake-help with recipes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeachOnTheBeach, Jul 22, 2009.

1. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

So a few days ago I tried the whole Lemonade diet thing...big mistake. I know some of you told me not to and stupid me still did but I learned in just one day. NOT A GOOD IDEA. I had a hard time breathing, my stomach killed, it was awful!

so I joined Weight Watchers online, I have done weight watchers previously and lost weight, and loved it...so I am back

So I made a list of foods that I would enjoy making and would be good at.
    Today I made a wheat pita sandwich, with hummus, and spring mix.

Total points: Pita (2), Hummus (2), and spring mix and other veggies (1)...total 5 points. YUMMY

Anyone have a good suggestion for yummy food?
    I know there are weight watcher friends here.
    I am going easy today to make sure that my stomach doesn't get crazy. It's been funky

Thanks a ton!

3. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

Not on weight watchers, I am doing alli. Alot of the their reciepes are really good.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 22, 2009

A great snack I found was the wheat thins tomato and basil flavor and WW cream cheese. 3pts for the crackers and 1pt for the cream cheese.

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

6. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

yum

SOUNDS SO YUMMY!!

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2009

I'm glad you are feeling better. I was worried!

You mentioned in the other thread that you wanted to eat vegan. I really recommend the cookbook Yellow Rose Recipes. I know the author and have tested for her. She wrote this book while following weight watchers and all the recipes are very diet friendly, but they don't taste like it! It is published by Herbivore, but you can order it through Amazon. They are mostly easy, weeknight fare, and most use very normal supermarket ingredients. I have figured out WW points for most of the recipes and would be happy to share those. Lots of Tex-Mex recipes, plus a great recipe for baked cajun breaded tofu.

Veganomicon is another good book to have. I have points for some of these recipes too.

For nights when you want quick and easy: Boca burgers are only 1 point each and they have lots of iron and protein. I eat them on a light wheat bun, with ketchup, spring mix, onion and a slice of Tofutti vegan cheese and the total is only 4 points. Boca burgers get expensive, but if you are a Costco member, you can get a huge box of 16 for I think $10.

My favorite snack is edamame flavored with a few drops of sesame oil, tamari, salt and pepper. I just make a bowl of it and snack on it all evening. If I add some corn and red pepper and chop up a Garden Burger Chik'n patty, it makes a great wrap sandwich.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

I am on WW, and feeling so good.

I switched to whole grains and now use olive oil. Those are the two biggest changes.

I drink a lot of water--flavored. Here is a great drink. Make sugar free lemonade and add 1 1/2 cups of frozen strawberries, blend until blended to taste. I think it tastes like a frozen mixed drink. Only 1 point.

I make the mushroom omlete listed on the first week. I do add some fat free cheese. Love it, rich and creamy.

I make a lot of pies with fruit and Splenda.

At our meetings we are talking about Veggies. The big thing seems to be roasting them. I am trying roast Swiss Chard this week. Spinkle with olive oil and garlic salt and bake at 250 for 20 minutes. I don't know how it will taste, but I roast Asparagus like this and it is good.

Good luck. I just lost 5% of my weight--and am loving it.

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 23, 2009

That drink sounds great!!! I've lost 24lbs so far. Switching to whole grains was a great start. It really helped kick things off. I found that things started working well when I began having a healthy snack mid-morning.

I will be able to keep it up, because I will have a snack at recess so I am not as hungry at lunch.

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 23, 2009

BLUE... Congrats on the 5%:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

11. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

Thanks for the great ideas. I am excited about that drink, yummy...

Tonight I went and found these Oroweat thin sandwiches
    100 calories only
    5 grams of fiber
    1 gram of fat
    WOW!!!

I am so excited about this :)

No HFCS

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2009

I love love love Oroweat! It's the only bread I eat.

If you like yogurt, try switching to Greek yogurt, which has wayyy more protein than regular yogurt.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

At our WW meetings, we get stickers for doing something positive. I have never seen grown women get so excited about earning a sticker.

Yes, I heard the Greek yogurt was better. I need to make a trip to Trader Joe's and will pick up some, as well as WW Tortilla Chips.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

Molly-you might know this.

In Michigan, I found a great veggie burger that had waterchestnuts in it. I cannot remember what brand or even what the box looks like anymore-do you have any idea what burger this might be?

Your bocca burger comment reminded me of it.

15. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2009

No sorry. Sounds good though. A lot of that stuff tends to be regional though.