So I guess I'm a sub!!!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by lucybelle, Aug 13, 2014.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2014

I went and filled out paperwork today and am officially on the sub list for a nearby private school! After four years teaching, I've never been a sub before, it will be interesting to see how things work out. The director told me that if I'm scheduled in advance I could potentially teach the lesson plans left behind by the teacher (if in science). But of course we know that emergency subs are far more likely to happen!

I've also applied to sub at another private school and will probably sign up for the public school system as well. I wonder how I'll like it!

(I hope to look for some full time job openings in January, after I go on my two week trip to India. Tickets have been bought!!! :woot:)

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2014

Congratulations!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2014

Congrats!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2014

I subbed before teaching, and then for a month last year. It was amazing how easy it was to sub after getting experience. I could 'wing it' with confidence when plans weren't going well (or were poorly written). With the exception of one district, I had absolutely no behavior issues. My BS detector has been perfected now. It made for easy days. I was reading a book a day because I'd read through planning and lunch, plus I had no grading or planning to do!
    Enjoy! And now you don't have to stress about your trip, either!

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 16, 2014

Honestly, I often miss subbing. I got to know a lot more students and, if I didn't like working in a particular class or school, I could angle away from it. Those were good "gypsy educator days". If it weren't for the pay / lack of benefits, I would have stayed with it.

7. sarahwilla

sarahwilla Rookie

Sep 9, 2014

Congratulations!! i hope you are in to a public school now :) :p