So I go to see a therapist tomorrow, and I am so scared

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 28, 2010

I've been struggling with depression for some time, and have been taking antidepressants since July. While there's no question they have helped, I am still so very down, anxious, scared and depressed.

I live for the weekends, but lately all I do is sleep (sometimes all day:() and work my bum off for a grad class I'm taking. I hate my school, and dread going to work.

My BF suggested I talk to someone (which btw, is the only wonderful thing I have in my life!:) :love:.) I think he's right, but I am so scared for some reason. I guess I'm feeling like anyone in my position would be depressed, so what's the point of going? I don't even know what to say - I feel like I'm only going to whine and complain.

Is it normal to feel this way?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 28, 2010

It's great that you have your BF in your life. Hopefully, he's very loving & supportive. Do you talk w/ or see your family a lot? Anyway, yes, I think trying a therapist would be worth it. For me personally, I've never been depressed nor is there a history of it in my family, so I doubt hating my job, etc. would depress me. I'm used to being isolated, having to stand alone, etc. in all aspects of my life, so maybe things that might depress others may not depress me.

Good luck w/ it all! :)

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2010

Pisces~I'm glad that you are taking that step and talking to someone. I face depression too. Sometimes it's more pronounced than at other times. Lately it's been really bad. I'm not on any meds right now and probably won't until August. I wish you the best of luck!! Just remember that these guys are trained in this and they can hopefully pinpoint what triggers it.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 28, 2010

If you haven't spoke to a therapist yet, how were you diagnosed with depression? Were you prescribed anti-depressants by your PCP? I'm sorry if that seems like a silly question, but I've never heard of someone being on those kinds of meds that wasn't seeing a therapist.

I think it's completely normal to feel the way you do about going to see someone, though. I think a lot of us have the tendancy to want to clam up about our feelings and not really express everything that's going on. I also think it's particularly difficult because the person you'll be talking to is a stranger and we, especially as professionals, like to give the best impression to people as we can. The important thing to remember is that if you really want this to help you, you have to be completely open and honest. Good luck! :love:

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 28, 2010

Yes, what you are feeling is very normal. Just set those feelings aside and accept that you feel the way you do. It is difficult to open up to a therapist, but, hey, that's what they are there for. And, they understand that patients feel like that. Remember, though, that there are all different kinds of therapists and the first one may not be for you. Don't hesitate to pursue what is best for yourself.

Also, while your feelings are normal, they don't mean that you aren't worthy of treatment, or that your problems aren't as worthy as someone else's problems. You don't need to have a full-blown psychiatric meltdown to warrant treatment. Even mild depression can be debilitating. Keep pursuing the help you need, even if you aren't aware of your progress in just a few sessions. That is normal, too.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2010

My therapist mostly taught me tools to help me deal with situations that made me down or anxious. I no longer see my therapist and my primary physician prescribes my Cymbalta.

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 28, 2010

Talking to a professional is very helpful when you are going through a "rough time" to help you see things with a different perspective. Sometimes they might say things you don't agree with but the important thing is that you tell them everything you are feeling so they can work through them with you. Hopefully you will feel somewhat comfortable with the person you are seeing tomorrow. I've found counseling helpful for the "rough times" when you feel like you need some support. I hope you feel better soon.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2010

My PCP prescribed me my antidepressants during a regular office visit. I have a history of depression and of taking medication for it, so he felt okay with diagnosing me and prescribing meds without first referring me to a therapist. I'm not sure if that's unusual or not, but I thought I'd throw that out there. :)

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 28, 2010

I felt exactly like this when I had to go to a psychologist (?) for an ADHD prescription. It felt so strange to tell him my life's story. I don't like to dwell on the past, so it was hard to bring up all the issues that I've pushed down. I can't say there was any resolution, as his $400 'prescription' was to eat breakfast and get more sleep, but I do know what you're going through and am sending hugs!

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 28, 2010

I think talking to someone is definitely worth a try. Don't shoot it down before you try it, afterall it could be a lot of help. :)

12. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 28, 2010

Be proud of yourself for going! I remember from my psychology classes that talking to a professional (cognitive behavior therapy) + medicine (may depend on person) + all the other healthy things like eating and exercising can help you feel better.

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 28, 2010

If you were already diagnosed, I don't think that's unusual. I've just never heard of a PCP actually diagnosing depression and prescribing meds for someone who wasn't seeing a mental health professional, that's why I was asking.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2010

Did you consider seeing a different doctor?

So sad that even some health professionals wouldn't take a patient's mental/psychological well-being seriously.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 28, 2010

I see a psychologist. It is helping, I think. He has diagnosed me with a primary diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome with a secondary diagnosis of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (along with a few others he didn't list in a letter I needed to get accommodations for the Praxis I)

He mostly asks me questions, we talk about things, mostly he is trying to get me to feel more comfortable talking to people.

16. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 28, 2010

In reading these posts... it seems that the first couple of years of teaching can be SO stressful. It's too bad new teachers can't be more supported.

Good luck with all of this. Big hugs. :)