So I dropped my cell phone in the toilet

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 15, 2012

If you've tried the rice trick, how long did you leave your phone in there before attempting to turn it on? I dropped it Saturday night around 8:00.

:oops:

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Apr 15, 2012

It's going to need some more time. While I've never dropped my phone in the toilet (no really, how does that happen?!), I did have my kayak capsize once... with my phone in my pocket. D'oh.

I left it in for a few days (taken apart of course: phone, battery, cover) and even then I still had to replace it because the damage was too extensive.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2012

What is the rice trick?

5. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Apr 15, 2012

If your phone gets wet, you can put it in a bag of rice and the rice will suck out the moisture. Sometimes it fixes the phone and sometimes it doesn't.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 15, 2012

I dropped my phone on my front porch and it started to rain. I think I left it in the rice for a few hours. It worked fine after that.

7. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Apr 15, 2012

That or take a hairdryer to it.

I've dropped mine in the toilet and the bath... several times!

8. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Apr 15, 2012

Careful not to do it too quickly...

I part washed mine last week and tried to turn it on after 24 hours in rice (everything seemed dry), and the battery shorted on me.

Phone works good, just needs a new battery

9. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Apr 15, 2012

I might wait another day to try to turn it on. You don't want it to still accidentally be a little wet when you turn it on again.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 16, 2012

If it is a dumbphone, leave it in for 24 hours

If it is a smart phone, leave it in for 36-48 hours (They are bigger, more area to suck moisture from)

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2012

My mom dropped hers when she was visiting me at school last year--and took it over to the nearby McDonald's to use the hand dryer in the bathroom! She put it in the rice overnight when we got home. (It ended up being fine...)

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 16, 2012

I dropped mine in the toilet once. I was leaning over to hit the handle and it was in my pocket *sigh*

I waited 3 days and it was just a flip phone. It did work afterwards though!

13. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Apr 17, 2012

My husband dropped his iPhone in the dog's water bowl a week or so ago. It sat in the water bowl, completely submerged, for at least 45 minutes before he noticed. We were camping and didn't have any rice, so he just wrapped it in a paper towel and hoped for the best. It turned itself back on within an hour. He turned it off and just let it sit for the rest of the day. It was working like a champ the next morning, no problems whatsoever... I should also mention that this iPhone has a completely cracked back glass piece which allows you to see some pieces inside.... it's nuts. We can't believe it still works! This has made him a devoted iPhone owner. :lol: We joke that his phone is the waterproof version and that we wish we had known a few months ago when we were in Hawaii so we could have taken underwater pics! :lol:

Hope your phone fares as well as his!