So I am thinking about doing a "Math" classroom theme for next year. Any cool ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Peachyness, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2010

Since I teach only math (2nd to 6th graders), I decided I want to a theme around math. I'm not incredibly creative, however. I was thinking about putting up pictures of men and women mathematicians. I also want to put up a math BB that relates math to pretty much any career. I guess I just need you creative people to get my brain rolling here. :dizzy:

3. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 19, 2010

You could go to the dollar store and buy flash cards and use them as border for your bulletin boards...I saw this in a class and it was really cute.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2010

cute! See, I need you guys for these cute, simple ideas. :)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

When I had a homeroom, I always had a "Math Code" bulletin board. I divided it into 4 sections, one for each operation, and filled in the sections with key words and phrases relating to the operations--sum, product, difference, how many altogether, how many more, etc.

I also had a challenge problem posted each week--logic problem, brain teaser, etc. The students would put their solutions into an envelope and every Friday I drew one paper out--if the answer was correct, the student won a small prize (gummy bear, piece of licorice, sticker on a sticker chart, pencil, etc)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

I put up a Problem of the Week on my bulletin board. It's normallly something fun- a brain teaser sort of problem.

It's typed onto one sheet of paper, with the solution on another, facing back to back. They both go into a plastic sheet protector that's stapled onto the board.

So the kids can read the puzzle, work it out, then check their answers (Or just cheat... some do. But that's OK-- they're at least seeing how it would be done!)

7. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jun 20, 2010

Just a few thoughts: if you have a place for them to take things from call it the "subtract" bin and if you have a turn in bin call it the "add" bin.

I would number all the areas in your room with big and different numbers like ordinal, roman numeral, etc.

Maybe you can name the different areas of the room some sort of math term, measurement mile, fraction station, number alley, etc.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 20, 2010

"It All Adds Up"

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2010

Thanks guys!!!! Keep them coming. I am definitely liking these ideas. :)

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

If you had a board that post student's work, you can title it "Math~nificent Work"

11. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 20, 2010

You could have a mathematician of the week. Or you could have a "Mathopoly" board as part of some type of incentive.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

How about something with a thermometer, and each day's projected temerature? You could do Celcius on one side, and Farenheit on the other. I bet at some point the kids will get curious.

13. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

Off the top of my head:

A welcome board reading: "This is going to be "SUM" Year!"

A "math is everywhere" board that shows things like scoreboards, catalogs, recipes, etc. Allow kids to add to it.

If your rooms are numbered, create a sign for the door that shows your room # as an equation. For example, I am in room 11 so I could do Room 4+5+2.

I would absolutely include a math vocabulary word wall. I can't remember where, but there are sites that have images to go with the definitions.

Have fun!

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2010

I found this last night.

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

I like the "real world" math idea. Take photos this summer of numbers being used in the real world. I always took photos of words that are spelled wrong for language arts.

16. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jun 20, 2010

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

Thanks for sharing! I think I will have a math word wall next year.

18. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jun 20, 2010

for the word wall for younger grades you could also put more basic words up there like, sum, take away, plus, minus, subtraction, addition, triangle, square, circle, hexagon, octagon, diamond, polygon, pentagon, decagon, nonagon, rectangle.
    Also some other math words I thought of: add the opposite, isoceles triangle, equilateral triangle, obtuse angle, right angle, equation, solution, right triangle, congruent, square root, and squared, perimeter, volume

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2010

I just found this. I actually really like these math words too.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2010

And I found these math vocab words too for different grades!

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 21, 2010

That last link is fantastic, Peachy!!

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2010

Thanks for those links, Peachy!! I wanted to do a math vocab wall this year, and that'll make my job much easier!!!

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2010

24. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jun 21, 2010

I love the vocab cards where the words look like/demonstrate the definition! I was considering buying these somewhere - I'm so glad I didn't! Thanks peachy!

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2010

Oh, and I forgot to say thanks to the people who shared more ideas. My brain is definitely now starting to churn here. :)

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2010

Okay, one more link to math vocab cards! This is from Proteacher. I really like how on that website, they can share their own files. I don't know how many times I wanted to share a file from my computer. I wonder how hard it would be to get Amanda to add that feature. Anyways, here it is!

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2010

I just wanted to share an idea that someone on PT site shared with me. They said to create a large geoboard on the wall. Something that they kids can manipulate. I would use yarn tied to make a "rubberband". I can imagine the endless possibilities here. They could create a shape and find the perimeter, area, or even work with fractions, rations, proportions, and so on. Younger kids can work on shape ID and introduce the concept of perimeter and area. So, I just wanted to share that with you guys. I can just imagine this huge cool looking geoboard on my wall. :D

28. Parent&Teacher

Parent&Teacher New Member

Jun 24, 2010

You can have the kids bring math into the classroom by finding examples of Math outside of the classroom...i.e. geometric shapes in nature or geometric shapes from around the house. It was a geat on going project and the kids get really excited about talking about what they found and how it is related to math. Plus it helps them think of math as something that we use everyday and not just in school.

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

Thanks for sharing your idea! :)

30. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

I've noticed how difficult it has been to find fun/neat/cute math decorating ideas. I don't want to just thow up posters.

I found somone else on another forum ask the exact same question, how can I decorate my room with math ideas and no one responded. THere are TONS of neat ideas out there for literature, science, social studies, but pretty much nothing for math.

You guys have shared SO many great things with me, so I'm grateful for that. I came up with a few more neat ideas. Once my classroom is decorated, I'll post pics so that others who may be in a need for fun neat math ideas will finally have a place to look. :)

31. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jun 25, 2010

I was at the Dollar Tree today, and they had this really cute banner that said "Math Surrounds Us" and it had pictures of everyday things that had to do with math. Things like 50% off tickets, thermometers, etc. For a dollar...it was AWESOME! LOL...i love all the ideas you are getting peachy, I may use some of them since I'll be math and science this year!

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2010

Thanks! I've meaning to go to the dollar tree!

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 25, 2010

I didn't read this whole thread yet, so I apologize if I duplicate any suggestions. I love the idea of a math theme for a class.

~ There are rolls of graph paper out there with one inch or more squares. They are great for BBs or the wall. Graph anything you can. Keep strips of construction paper on hand and use write-on/wipe-off labels for the sides.

~ Make a Math In My World interactive BB. Let the kids add whatever math-related things they notice in their surroundings. Set it up so it isn't a mess of scribbles - or let them write on it 'graffiti style'. They might say, 'I got new sneakers - size 4', or, 'I helped bake a cake with 2 cups of flour', etc.

~ Start a Math Masters club. Post a weekly challenge problem and have kids put their answers in a box or envelope. Keep track of points each week. Give monthly or quarterly prizes.

~ Have kids measure each other's heights at the beginning, middle, and end of the year. (You could also do feet or arm length.) Post in graph form.

~ Have a math Olympics with all results of events measured by the students. Include lots of tossing, jumping, speed types of games, as well as estimating. This can be done at a holiday party or on a 100th Day celebration.

~ Have an Estimation Station and fill a clear container with various goodies each week. Kids submit their estimates and you might even share the contents on Fridays.

~ Use yardsticks to create borders on BBs or the wall.

~ I loved keeping one huge BB strictly for calendar (yes in 5th grade) activities a la Everyday Math.

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2010

Thanks, Upsadaisy!

I never used Everyday Math. Would you be willing to share a little bit about what you did with your fifth graders during calendar time? :)

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 25, 2010

This is from an old post of mine.

Calendar Math includes:

pattern recognition
    representation of patterns in algebraic terms
    review of primes, composites, squares, roots
    plane & space figures (identify characteristics, name, area & volume)
    angle measurement and identification (we also constructed angles)
    fractions, decimals, percentages (every single day of the year)
    conversion/equivalency of the above
    measurement, standard & metric, with hands-on application
    probability theory & experiments
    daily mental math practice
    constant vocab review

I can't remember what else, it was so comprehensive. It was wonderful to touch on these topics constantly, even when we weren't focused on them during the math period of the day.

Each day's calendar took about 15 minutes. Students wrote about it in journals at the end.

I'll try to dig up more info for you.

36. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2010

Thank you so much! :)

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 25, 2010

From a 2008 post, before I got the Everyday Math kit:

Here's what I did this year in 3rd:

There was nothing to set up; it was on the wall. Each day there was a different helper who lead the pledge and songs, then went to calendar.

1. Predict today's calendar piece (shape, color, etc)
    2. Attach today's calendar piece
    3. Notice patterns, count by 2s, 3s, or whatever.
    4. Move the little yellow colored thing on the 100s pocket chart to count the number of days in school.
    5. Student states if it is even or odd. Later in year, student says if number is divisible by 2, 3, or 5. End of year, student helps me do the division problem.
    6. Student takes the pointer to the clock and states the time. We write it on the board in standard form and word form. Student tells how many minutes past the current hour and how many minutes until the next hour.
    7. Student reads the message of the day and the classmate responses.
    8. Sometimes we have a pattern of the day and we discuss it.

38. Sweettea83

Sweettea83 New Member

Aug 21, 2011

Thank you!

I just had to write a thank you note!!!!

I graduated in May with an elementary degree, but am highly qualified in math & language arts... I got a job offer for an 8th grade math position and of course accepted it, but had no idea where to start with decorations!!! I never dreamed I'd be in a classroom above 5th grade... I have lime green fuzzy pillows and a Buzz Lightyear carpet for my room for goodness sakes!!!

I looked EVERYWHERE for math ideas and had a lot of trouble finding cute ideas that I really liked... until I saw this forum! Thank you SOO much for all these wonderful ideas! I cannot wait to start putting my classroom together now! You guys rock. : )

39. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2011

Peachyness, I thought you were a homeschool teacher this year... Did I miss something?

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

It'a an old thread.

41. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2011

a! That's what I missed. Thanks Alice. I didn't even look at the date. Geez, no wonder I felt like I was living in the past for a moment.