So, how's it going?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth2004, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 3, 2011

I'm not around here too often anymore, but I really want to try to come back to visit more often. :)

For those who have started school, how is it going so far? I started this past Tuesday (a day late, thanks to Irene) and so far things are going well.

For those who will be starting next week, are you ready to get started?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 3, 2011

We have had one day of school. So far I really am enjoying this my new group of students and new school.

We have missed you on here Beth.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 3, 2011

:love: Thanks, Jaime!

....and new school? I'll have to catch up!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 3, 2011

First week had some growing pains. New teachers making the transition to online learning while the vets were given a week to learn a new live teaching platform. I had used the new live platform for summer school so I was hit with a lot of questions from my team. Meanwhile, we did a complete overhaul of the curriculum, adding new pieces of literature, some of which I hadn't read before.

That being said, I'm having a good year. The kids seem fairly engaged in their work and I have a relatively low percentage of students who are ignoring that school has, indeed, begun. Now begins the task of grading their work...

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2011

Welcome back!

We've had one day of meetings and 3 days of orientation. Classes begin on Tuesday.

So far, so good :)

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 3, 2011

Beth,
    Last June I was called into the principal's office and told I was being transfered to a different school in our district. I am still teaching kindergarten and it's closer to home!

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 3, 2011

Well, Jaime, I'm sure that was a little nerve-wracking at first, but it sounds like it worked out better for you!

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 3, 2011

We've been back at school for a month. So far, so good. The kids are a social bunch, but they don't seem to be mean-spirited. They also seem more academically sound than the last group. Love our new schedule, which has us teaching 90 minute core classes and a 20 minute supplemental class. I don't take kids to lunch this year, which is wonderful. I eat during my planning time. I get two full hours of planning, although I pull kids (2-5 at a time) for RTI work for 30 minutes four days a week. I never have any days when I won't get at least 30 minutes of free time.

The downside? We have 34-38 kids in each class! Yuck!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2011

Welcome back, Beth! How nice it was to see your name.

The students start back on Tuesday. I've been in 7 or 8 times--getting organized for my English class, my Special Ed responsibilities and my department lead teacher tasks. I think we're good to go, though.

11. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 3, 2011

I have been back for 4 weeks. It is going really well, and I like my class.

12. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2011

I have been back for a week. The biggest transition is all the adults getting used to a new principal. My class seems like a nice group so far. I can tell there will be some challenges though.

13. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 3, 2011

I've been back for 3 weeks. So far, I like high school much better than middle school!

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2011

Teachers here go back Tuesday, kids come Thursday. I'm soo not ready! This is my first year starting from the beginning of the school year. I won't say I'm "overwhelmed" but its just my to-do list is so long and I've already spend 17 hours cleaning out/organizing my classroom. I also haven't met my co-teacher yet, which I'm very, very nervous about because they just hired her last minute on Friday.

All in all I'm looking forward to the first day- hopefully I'll be more prepared!

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2011

Nice to "see" you.

We have 3 full weeks in--it seems like a great group, my three new students seem to be fitting in well, and we're settling into our routine slowly but surely!