So, how do you stack your chairs?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2008

How do you stack the chairs in your classroom? On desks? In stacks in a designated area of the room? This year, I am going to have my students stack chairs on their desks, though I haven't done that before. I am getting tired of having them make stacks too high, too low, or shoving chairs toward the stack in a rush.

I've always been precise in explaining the procedure, but sometimes kids get in a rush and... forget... or take the lazy route, I guess. How do you introduce the procedure of stacking chairs the first day of school?

3. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 7, 2008

I go with what the custodian prefers and makes it easier - I'm at a new school so I have to find out!

4. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 7, 2008

I have the students stack up their chairs before they line up for dismissal. I have them turn them upside down (lots of modeling!!!!) so that the chair legs are on top, the seat is on the table and the backs are hanging below the table line. This is how our custodians like them, so I agree with the poster who said check with them....If someone is absent at their table, they have to stack those chairs also.

5. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

We don't have a choice at my school, so it's never been something I've really thought about.

We lay them on our desks. The legs can't hang down, because it makes it hard for the custodians to sweep/mop.

Here's a picture with our chairs up (sorry the picture is so big - it's the first time I've posted one on here...:unsure::
    [​IMG]

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2008

I've seen teachers do it a few ways. I don't have too much room for chairs to be stacked this year, but if I have to do that, I guess I will be having them stack behind the computers by my desk. You'll have to see my classroom layout to understand that part. :lol:

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2008

I've been wondering if I can do that, so I'll ask.

By the way, your cabinets are the SAME EXACT color as mine.

8. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

I can't this year :(. They are a part of the desks.

I have several trapezoid tables, so I'm hoping I can buy one more each year until I can get rid of the desks and go to tables. The chairs that go with the trapezoid tables are just stacked on the sides of the room for cleaning.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

I noticed that the desks are turned backwards... how are you storing their books, folders, notebooks, etc?? I have tables so always struggle w/ that!

10. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 8, 2008

I have mine stack the chairs at the side of the room so they're out of the way.

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 8, 2008

We're not allowed to stack our chairs on the tables due to health codes :dunno: Something about germs getting transferred from both the feet of the chairs and the seat to the desktops? So now we stack our chairs in short stacks of 3 or 4 around the room. Our custodians can't complain because it's a health code.

12. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 8, 2008

i hate putting chairs on top of desks like the picture above. i get a lot of eyes poked and heads hit. so i have them stack their chairs at the end of their row when i call their row. so much safer. i don't let them lift them up too high. it's really scary.

LC

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2008

We stack ours in one or two areas of the room (change this every couple of weeks) in piles no more than 8 high.

14. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Same thing in my room. I have a classroom job for two students to stack the chairs on my rug at the end of the day. Only 4 chairs per stack. When a couple of students do it, they are nice and neat.

15. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 8, 2008

These look like desks where the lid lifts up...;)

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2008

We don't stack. The custodians rarely clean the rooms at my end of school and when they do, they just vacuum around the edges. We have such high turnover in custodians that by the time I ask them what they would like us to do, they are gone. This school is a very high performing, excellent school but the cleaning crew is very ineffective.

17. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 8, 2008

I don't like them on top of desks. I'm afraid the chair will fall and hit someone.

18. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Our desks aren't backwards, they have flip up lids. The wooden part opens - all our our materials are inside :). I love them, because then the kids can't play with stuff in their desks while you're teaching.

19. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 9, 2008

We don't stack our chairs in our school for some reason.

20. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I cannot stack my chairs because each chair has a chair back cover. I also do not have them placed on desks because they can fall and I don't want anyone hurt. So I just leave them pushed under each desk. My custodians have never said anything to me about leaving them down.

21. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Wow. This was the type of desk I used when I was in 4th, 5th, and 6th grade. I loved them. I didn't think they made them anymore (hint: graduated HS in 1970 so you can tell I used these many years ago!)