So, here I am sitting in a room alone....(rant)

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by ecteach, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

for an IEP Meeting that I scheduled 3 weeks ago. I checked with all of the participants, and all of them said they could/would attend. I reminded everyone in person and in e-mail yesterday about the meeting. Suddenly, it hits me like a tons of bricks, and I realize no one gives a darn about these meetings.....including the parents who are not here. It's all a dog and pony show. Sports duty at our school gets more respect than these meetings. YOU BETTER NOT MISS A SPORTS DUTY! But, an IEP Meeting, oh, come when you can. Rant over.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 16, 2013

I wondered why no one came to my GS 504 meeting except his mother and me.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2013

Since only one of the child's teachers has to attend an IEP meeting at my school and they only happen during the school day; someone from my school's SPED office will hunt the teacher who is supposed to attend down if we forget to show up. Like you, my SPED office is very good about sending reminders for the meetings. Now, I've been to plenty of these meeting where the parent does not show or we have to have a conference call with them.

But yeah, most teachers I know are annoyed to have to go to these meetings especially if they are during their plan.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2013

That would not happen in my district.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

This would not occur in my district. Teachers that need to be at an IEP
    meeting have coverage. So there is no excuse for not attending unless you are absent.

7. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

I have ALL meetings after school, because I know how annoying it can be to have to do something during your planning period, and then feeling stressed all day because of it. Well, I would know if I had a planning period. It's unacceptable, ridiculous, and unprofessional. I mean, one person I saw 5 minutes before the meeting. I reminded him then. He was 15 minutes late, and never even offered an excuse. Whatever.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2013

Wouldn't happen in my district either.

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

IEP meetings cannot be scheduled during the classroom teacher's prep time. If for some reason it must be we are allowed to leave at the student dismissal time rather than the 40 minutes we are required to stay after student dismissal.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2013

Maybe you should have them during the school day. While I don't like giving up my plan, I really hate staying late for meetings. You might get a better response if they were during the day.

11. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

I can't leave my class during the day. :( Self-contained EC. Only one assistant. NO ONE is going to cover my class either. Legally, I don't even know if they'd be allowed to if they wanted to.

12. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Oct 16, 2013

I would definitely have a hard time making a meeting after school. I run a lot of clubs in the school and live far away. Maybe before school would work better? (although that would start my day off horribly).

13. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

Ours are planned for during our planning time and missing an IEP meeting would most likely result in a letter of reprimand. We're not asked, we're TOLD we have a meeting at a certain date and time and if you're not there, they'd be calling your room in a heartbeat.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 16, 2013

I would much rather lose planning time that instructional time. It really sucks to think that 25 of my students must do without just so I can fill an official role for one. So what if I get 'coverage." that is just babysitting, nothing of value is happening during that time.

I have an issue with case managers that plan meetings around what is "convenient" for parents. Doctors don't let their patients dictate their calendar/work day. Doctors give patients available times and the patients choose. Case managers should do the same. Say "We can have the meeting on Monday at 1:00pm or on Thursday at 3:30pm. Which would be better for you?"

15. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Oct 16, 2013

I teach the vast majority of inclusion English, and as the English teacher, it's always my presence that's requested. As a result, I end up in 3-4 conferences a week that are never scheduled at a time that's convenient for me. They're frequently scheduled for periods that I teach, and I'm never offered coverage; instead, I'm told to "find someone on their plan to cover you."

I'm frequently late to the meetings as a result, but there's really no other option. If my prompt presence was that important, the SPED teacher would schedule around MY schedule or administration would find me coverage.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 16, 2013

I always scheduled meetings before school. That way, I didn't need to arrange coverage, and I had a preset "this meeting needs to be done by..." time. I never had a teacher complain about it to me. I can't imagine telling a teacher to arrange their own coverage. Of course, I also can't imagine ever scheduling a meeting to take place during a teacher's lunch period on a day where the teacher has no prep time, and that's happened to me three times so far this year.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 16, 2013

ecteach, wow, that wouldn't happen at the job I had the last 2 yrs & my new job now! EVERYONE shows up. At my last job, we usually held our IEPs after school, but some do need to be held early in the mornings. At my new job, they're held during the late mornings.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2013

I don't feel I should have to come in on my personal time for IEP meetings. I am much happier going during planning. One of a few reasons, that places a limit to the meeting's length.

19. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 16, 2013

At our school, meetings are not scheduled during gen ed teachers' planning or lunch time. Coverage is always provided.

Special ed teachers, on the other hand, get NO coverage, often losig a day's worth of instruction if they have enough meetings. All hell would break loose if gen ed lost planning or lunch, but special ed teachers lose theirs all the time.

No, our spec ed teachers don't make up the schedule. The secretary does.

This all applies to 504 and IEP meetings. Special ed is required to attend both.

20. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

Federal Law states that it must be a mutually agreeable time. IF the parent works, a mutually agreeable time for them would probably be after work hours.

21. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Oct 16, 2013

Mutually doesn't mean dictated by one side.

After work hours for the parent is after work hours for me. Not mutually agreed upon.

22. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 16, 2013

The doctor's office analogy works much better if you flip it around... since we're the one making the call to set up an appointment. The school isn't the doctor in that case. The parent is. Meetings get scheduled when it's convenient for the parent because the parent is a mandated part of the team, and because we're the ones calling them to set up the appointment.

Is it obnoxious when a parent says, "sorry, I'm only available before 9 or after 4?" Yep. It sure is. But they have to be there, so...

(Of course, I only scheduled meetings outside contract hours if I had already okayed it with the classroom teacher... who usually told me to schedule it whenever I wanted as long as it wasn't their planning time!"

23. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Oct 16, 2013

Only one party is providing a service...

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2013

But there has to be some sort of parameters about what times are appropriate. If a parent does shift work, is it reasonable to have the meeting at 11 PM when the parent gets off work? Probably not....

If the teachers have specified contract hours, then it's important to honor those as well. I wouldn't come in outside my contract time for a meeting, sorry.

25. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 16, 2013

IEP meetings are never held before or after school here, and they are offered one day per week because many schools share educational evaluators and other staff required to be at meetings. So School A has meetings only on Monday, and School B has them only on Tuesday, for example.

26. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

I am not trying to get smart, but what makes you think that the EC Teacher WANTS to stay after school, or WANTS to have these meetings during the day? Maybe it's different at your school, but at my school, we all have full caseloads and TEACH. I have to grade papers, make parent phone calls, plan lessons, put excuses in the computer, and write up the IEP for the meeting. We all have less planning time than the general ed teachers. I, for one, have no planning time. It's just really frustrating, and we all feel the same. We hear the same old excuses. We try to get different teachers to do the meetings, but it ends up being so much easier to just ask the reasonable teachers to come to the meetings. When I say I have these meetings after school, I mean right after school. I don't have them at 5:00 or 6:00. What if you have to stay for a faculty meeting, or stay to tutor? Seems like some punch out right at the end of the day. I can't take this anymore. I really can't. Once again, it's just not me. All of the EC teachers at this school have the same problem.

27. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 16, 2013

And only one party is calling the other to set up an appointment. If I as a teacher call you the parent, I'm inherently going to need to work around your schedule. If a parent calls me for a conference, then yeah, they work around my schedule. If I'm calling a parent for a conference, then I had better be ready to be flexible.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2013

Our contract hours are sacred in my district. We would never have a faculty meeting outside of contract hours. We would never be mandated to provide tutoring outside of contract hours either. Some teachers choose to, but it's not necessary or required, and we can't be penalized if we don't.

I get it that it's a difficult situation. I'm just saying that, from the perspective of a general ed teacher with contract hours, I wouldn't come in for a meeting outside of contract hours. That doesn't make me a bad person or a bad teacher. It makes me someone who honors the terms of my contract, period.

29. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

Exactly. If no one can agree, then what is mutually agreeable? Good practice is that you accommodate the parent. I'm not sure if people know this, but at the end of the year we have to turn a list into the state showing how many parents did not attend IEP meetings, and we have to document WHY they did not attend. It doesn't look very good if we don't try our best to accommodate the parents. We get "dinged" if a lot of parents don't show up. There's so much that we do that others think is just ridiculous, but I promise you there is a reason for all of it. You might not know the reason, but there is a reason.

30. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Oct 16, 2013

That's absurd. Mutually agreed upon means just that; neither party is obligated make more of a concession based on who initiated the conversation.

31. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

What are the contract hours? So, how do they handle IEP Meetings at your school?

32. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 16, 2013

The school is obligated to have the meeting when the parent is available. The parent isn't obligated to make themselves readily available. One party has to budge in that situation, and it isn't the parent.

33. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2013

Is that what the law says?

34. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Oct 16, 2013

I already leave my classes in the hands of someone who doesn't know what's going on for ONE student. ONE student detracts from the rest of the students in that class so I can go to an IEP meeting where the parent may or may not show up.

There's no way I would ever stay beyond contract time for an IEP meeting; I'm with Caeser on this one. I may even be at the school working on prep/grading until 5 or 6 in the evening (I do this frequently), but STILL wouldn't come to the IEP meeting if it was out of contract hours.

35. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2013

Our contract hours are the same as student hours, plus 5 minutes at both the beginning and end of the day.

IEP meetings are held during the day during planning periods.

36. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

Not technically, but it's implied.

37. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Oct 16, 2013

No. The school is obligated to make an effort to find a mutually agreed upon meeting time. It's really that simple. Does the law say I have to come in at midnight if that's the only time a parent says they're available?

This is absurd, and this type of attitude is exactly why gen ed teachers do not want to come to IEP meetings.

38. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Oct 16, 2013

Laws don't have implications; that's what makes them laws. It's either stated or it's not.

39. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

Okay then. Thanks for reinforcing my belief that the education system States is not meant for special needs students. It's meant for general ed, and we're just there. :thumb:

40. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2013

Can you quote the law that implies this? Is an implication in the law legally enforceable?

41. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 16, 2013

Okay, then, no....you aren't BREAKING the law.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.