So have you encountered a crazy cashier?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by plurple, Jul 2, 2010.

1. plurple

plurple Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

:thumb:

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 2, 2010

I DON'T sign any of the backs of my cards for this very reason & I have a couple debit cards & a couple credit cards that I use regularly. I haven't heard anyone mention about me signing for numerous yrs...& that person wasn't even telling me to sign it then & there, they just mentioned something about it.

So, nope, never encountered such a demanding cashier!

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 2, 2010

Weird. I've never had anything like that happen, but I have had a cashier ask me some very personal, inappropriate questions about the items I was purchasing.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2010

When I worked in retail, I wouldn't have taken it either, but I would have checked first. I also know the post office absolutely won't accept your card without a signature.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 2, 2010

I've bought things at the USPS (stamps, package sending, etc.) using my card that doesn't have a signature.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 2, 2010

I don't sign my cards, either, and have never had a problem, even at the Post Office. So weird. I had my wallet stolen in college and they ran up all my cards, etc. My SS card was in there, too, because I was in the middle of the job quest and districts always wanted to scan it. So now I write 'see ID' because I never know who might be out there with my info. People get hung up on the weirdest things.

I got stopped by a cashier at Safeway once. I was in one of those 'I just want to get out of here' moods-late, looong day, hungry, etc. Safeway hires special needs adults, which is usually great. But this woman stopped me in an aisle and then went on for about 7 minutes about how awful her co-workers are and how they don't want to work, etc. I could tell she had some sort of communication issues-the fact she couldn't tell this was extremely inappropriate to tell a customer when her coworkers could HEAR her, let alone the fact that I just wanted to go, did not initiate the conversation, etc. I tried really hard to smile and be nice and nod and give 'uh-huhs', but ARGH! I just wanted to go!! Finally she left. She ended it like we had been best friends our whole life, giving me a hug and everything.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

I sign my cards. I think once or twice I didn't, it was pointed out by a cashier and I signed it. I have a card or two whose signature line is pretty much worn off because of use but that hasn't been a problem. Truthfully, if you are worried about someone stealing your card, have you considered that anyone who had your card could sign your name in their own handwriting on the back of your card? They would have less of an issue (at least in the short run) than you did in the store with an unsigned card!!

Jem- there's a great book: The Game of My Life by Jason McElwain. He is a boy who lives in upstate NY, has autism and helped 'manage' his HS basketball team. His senior year they put him in the game in the last quarter and he sunk 6 3-pointers..the whole school rallied around him. He had his 15 minutes of fame on ESPN, co-authored the aforementioned book, and has changed many people's minds about 'special needs' people and what they can do. He now works in a grocery store in his hometown as a baker, makes his own money, lives his life. Lovely book. My school had a book study around it this year. I highly recommend it.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 2, 2010

This was the policy at the grocery store I worked in while I was in college. I also currently work in a boutique and the manager tells us ALWAYS to check the signature. If it's not signed we're supposed to ask for their ID. Yes, it's a pain and sometimes I don't sign my cards so i make sure I have my ID with me. I know a lot of establishments do not enforce this policy but sometimes it's not up to the individual store. If it's a large company it could be their policy and the store could get into trouble if something were to come of it later.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 2, 2010

I agree... I don't think the cashier is crazy, just following the protocol that many cashiers have neglected.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

I've been asked once or twice to sign my card if it's a new card I've forgotten to sign. Along with the signature, I'm always asked for my license, which has a picture.

Fool proof? Of course not. But an honest attempt on the cashier's part to ensure that no one else was using my card. Sure, a pro could get fake ID. But a kid in the mall who picked up a dropped wallet wouldn't be able to.

I always thank them for checking. I know it's my card, but I"m glad they're doing what they can to ensure it.

Besides, Plurple, don't you have to sign the receipt anyway?? So anyone wanting to copy your signature could do so anytime you use the card.

12. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2010

I'm trying to think what the real motivation for the policy is. While credit cards do indicate "Not Valid Unless Signed" on the back, and tell you to sign them once you receive them, this doesn't do anything to prevent fraud if the card is stolen and stores don't generally have employees who are qualified to review signatures for accuracy anyway* (in fact, on checks the signature is basically for show as well -- it'll get cashed no matter what's written on the signature line).

I imagine what it might protect stores from is being held liable if the card was stolen before the person ever received it (like if a thief stole it from your mailbox when it was being delivered to you). I suspect a credit card company is probably eating the cost of fraud in certain circumstances, but wants as many excuses as possible to put the cost on stores if they can.

I have signed my cards on request before at stores. If someone gets ahold of your card they won't need your signature to use it anyway.

* actually, having such employees might create additional risk to the store of being held liable.

13. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

I have never considered not signing my cards--any time that they have been unsigned it has been because I have forgotten.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 2, 2010

All of my cards are signed.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

Lots of good info on that link, sue! I particularly want to point out the signature on your card indicates a contractual agreement with the credit card company.
    Seems like the OP's 'crazy cashier' wasn't crazy afterall. Which most of us suspected anyway.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 2, 2010

Right or not, I would just have a problem with a cashier telling me what to do. It's my card, and if I need to sign it, fine, but don't force me to do it right there. If it's the policy, then he shouldn't have swiped the card. I would have politely told them to pack sand, and left.

At my local Subway, there is a sign up that says "Do NOT Talk on Cell Phone When Ordering" (capitalization as such). It irritates me so much. It is, of course, polite and considerate to NOT talk on a cell phone when ordering, but I don't need a Subway to tell me what to do. Plus, there are many times that if I am picking up sandwiches for dinner, I am talking to my husband while he tells me "pickles, tomatoes, green peppers...". There are times that I purposefully make a call when ordering just to defy The Sign :angel: I am sure that The Sign was created by some employee who had just waited on a gabbing customer, but I find it rude and presumptuous. My husband says I should just let it go, but I have been known to let things get too far under my skin...:D

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

Common courtesy is always a good rule of thumb. ;)

A cashier pointing out a missing signature could be interpreted as 'helpful', not as someone telling you what to do with 'your card'. Your card and your signature are part of a contractual agreement between you, the credit card company, and business which accept the card.

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 2, 2010

Of course it is. My momma taught me well. I know that some momma's didn't, hence the sign. But it just irritated me!

Pointing it out and insisting that it be signed right there are different. What if plurple wasn't really plurple, and had in fact stolen the card? The cashier shouldn't have swiped the card.

20. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

I was the crazy cashier. Many years ago, I worked as a cashier in our small town drugstore. We cashed check for people as a service. After an issue with one customers check, I was told that all checks made out to "cash" had to be endorsed by the bearer. The local banker had a fit when I asked him to endorse his check. He refused to do so saying "Don't you know who I am" and basically called me stupid, like an 18 yr old made the rules! A few days later he came back and apoligized for his behavior. I don't know if his wife got on to him or he realized who my mom was( his HS friend and bookkeeper of the store) and didn't want to seem like an idiot to her. Store policy is store policy. The cashier made a human error by not checking first.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2010

This is all very interesting.

I sign my cards. I figure it's much more likely I'll be a victim of credit card fraud because of the Internet where my physical card wouldn't be necessary at all than someone stealing my wallet.

But I do understand the frustrations here. I've had some credit card issues similar to this before.

22. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 2, 2010

As someone who had cashiered for a long time, I have to agree with czacza on this one. I sign all of my cards, but I do not carry all of them in my wallet. Maybe one that I currently have a balance on or use. Private businesses can and will tell their customers what is permitted on their premesis.

23. mrs.tt

mrs.tt Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

When someone's following a rule because they could lose their job, I don't like to call that person "crazy". There are a lot of rules at establishments that people don't like to follow. Do you really think the person at the bottom of the totem pole gets to decide what rules to enforce?

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

Do you really want to take your valuable time to argue with cashiers/corporate offices about adhering to the rules?

You said the order of events was:
    "The guy scans the item, swipes my credit card, and as the card is processing he says I need to sign my card. I said you already charged it though (receipt had printed). He says he'll refund it, the card isn't valid unless it's signed and so I need to sign it. (Yes, I know the card says that but who enforces that?! Restaurants, markets, gas stations, etc. certainly don't give a hoot). I just stand there for a moment, taking this in. Is he really going to play credit card enforcer on me? He starts to try to refund it and I ask to speak to the manager.

It took her a bit to come out from the back and when she did she was very abrupt with "we don't take unsigned cards" (another employee had told her what was up). Okay, so I say shouldn't he check that prior to swiping it?! Wrong order, lady. And then after I sign it, who says that's the cardholders actual signature? She replied with "He'd then check your ID." I said that of course I could have a fake ID also. Come on... I even told her I was just at another location and used the same card with no problem. She asked to see my receipt and I said I didn't have it (it was in my car) and she said "Then I don't believe you." Oh my goodness. I seriously kept pretty darn calm throughout this. I was trying to get them to see they need to do things in a different order if they're going to be this strict. They seemed EXTREMELY passionate about this issue... and by that I mean downright rude."

Why do you want to buck the system? You don't have to go to this store anymore if you don't like their policies. But why all the anger? Consider that you played a part in escalating this situation. Breathe, walk away from it.

25. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jul 2, 2010

I do not sign my credit card, never have, never will. It reads "Check ID" and that is that. Never had a problem, ever. Of course now I probably will!!!

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

You tipped the cashier???

OK, I'm lost.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2010

No, no. :)

She's referring to this thread.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

29. mrs.tt

mrs.tt Rookie

Jul 3, 2010

Does plurple regularly delete all of his or her posts?

30. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 3, 2010

I was wondering the same thing when I went through this thread and the one mentioned. :huh::confused:

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2010

No, I think that's new. It's sad because we were all so excited for her regarding her new job offer. No need to get angry when there is a difference of opinion.

32. mrs.tt

mrs.tt Rookie

Jul 3, 2010

Oh, that's too bad.

33. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 3, 2010

Here's my weird cashier story... I have 2 of them.

One of them decided that because I told her at the drive thru speaker that I can't hear and will be pulling up to take my order, that I wasn't allowed to do that. I showed her my hearing aid and told her I lipread and she still insisted. She finally took my order. Being the mischievous person I was, I decided to go back. I got her again, I did it again and so did she. It wasn't until the FOURTH day that she finally stopped. To this day, I don't know why I didn't just go report it to the manager instead of coming back 4 days in a row to prove my point. So, whatcha gonna do, not take my money?

The other weird cashier story is something along the same lines except she wasn't as weird as much as she was just misguided. I couldn't understand her and usually I know the kinds of questions people will ask and can guess about which one they are asking. Well this time I was knew to military life and didn't realize one of the questions I would be asked frequently would be for my sponser's (or spouse's) last 4 (social security number). She did try her best to explain what it was she wanted but she kept repeating it even though I told her I can't hear. I'm deaf. No matter what you say (accent), I'm not going to be able to understand you. What irked me though was that the number was on my ID and she was holding it! I was mortified because this lady is asking me this same question probably about 15 times and people behind me were waiting. Finally one woman said something and I understood HER so I was able to answer. I did report that one.

Oh, here's another deaf related one...

If someone writes on a slip of paper, "I"m deaf and here's my info. If you have any additional questions, please write," I would think that would be self-explanatory. Nope. "Ms. Cutnglue, what exactly is it you need?" I need for you to learn to read. I just happened to hear it that time but please please just do what the paper says. It's less stress.

Oh, another one. Wow, I have a lot of them and they are all deaf related. I told the speaker at a Sonic Drive-In that I'm deaf and need someone to come out and take my order. I put my hand on the speaker and the darn thing kept speaking back to me no matter how many times I said it. Finally about 20 minutes later someone comes out and says, "we can't take your order out here, our computer is in there." I suggested a paper and pencil. Of course she seemed surprised at such a simple solution and I don't mind that she didn't think of of it herself, but I DO mind that she decided to wait on a few other customers before going and putting in my order when I sat there for 20 minutes already waiting on someone to have mercy and do what I requested and come outside. I had sleeping babies in the van or I would have just gone up to the door even if it is locked and not appropriate to do so. I did it again though. I went back just to see if the place finally got the message. They did. The girl came out quickly. I gave her a $5 tip for a $3 drink. Thank you for listening.

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 3, 2010

P.S. I really don't get upset if people don't know what to do or are a little flustered. I understand. It's when I tell people what I need and they continually ignore me like I don't know best what I need that I tend to get annoyed. I'm willing to work with people who just don't know. After all, I'm not an expert at every other disability or situation out there either. I just don't like it when people are so darn stubborn.

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2010

Goodness, cutNglue, that's ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I understand what you mean by not necessarily expecting everyone to naturally know how to communicate with you effectively, but when you put it our there for them?! Ugh. Some people are just rude, and some people are just clueless...I know people sometimes looked afraid of my mom. Oh, no! It's a blind lady with a weapon! Uh, I mean cane! Hide! :rolleyes:

36. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jul 5, 2010

Yes! I almost forgot about this one! This happened at a popular fastfood restaurant. The young male cashier took my order and then proceeded to tell me that the button was unbuttoned on my shirt. It was the top button he was referring to. I found that a bit creepy. :huh:

37. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 5, 2010

I was a cashier for a long time and I guess you could have called me "crazy", but many people treat cashiers poorly. When you've already been working for hours on your feet with plenty of rude costumers (and nice one too)....it gets old and you're just tired of it. I had one elderly man come in once and demanded some tobacco. I followed him to the case and opened it. He told me which one and since I don't know that much about all of the different types of tobacco...I grabbed the wrong one. No big deal, since we were both standing in front of the case. But he didn't like it. Instead of just pointing to the one he wanted or just even grabbing it off the shelf, he just kept telling me the name and getting extremely rude about it. I finally got the right one and he followed me back to the register. I asked him if he wanted that one item in one bag and he said yes. I put it in a bag and then he barked that it wasn't the right size bag. I couldn't take it anymore. I simply said "You know, you don't have to treat me like a dog, I'm actually a person." When I said that, his look totally changed. He told me he was sorry and that his wife had just died and that he was having medical problems. He said he hadn't been himself lately and that he was very sorry. The rude old man made me feel bad! After he left, I had tears in my eyes....it wasn't an excuse for his rudeness, but I wish I hadn't said anything.

38. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 5, 2010

I've had a cashier try to pressure me into admitting I'm not really blind. :confused: The same cashier would make tasteless jokes about how he was giving me a $1 and not a $5 or $10. Not funny when I have no choice but to trust him! I stopped going there alone.

Whenever I'm with someone, cashiers hand the card or money back to the person I'm with instead of me, even when I'm holding my hand out. Yes, I'm blind, but that's still my money.

Regarding cards, I sign the back of my card, but I also check my online bank statement when I get home. :)