SO frustrated!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherC, Aug 18, 2008.

1. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2008

:mad: Well, today, I was supposed to go start getting my room set up...we have this week from 7 - 2 everyday before PD starts next week. So, I showed up at the school at around 8:30 with a fellow teacher, and we found out that the custodians won't let us in until Wednesday!! The door was locked, the lights were out, and there was LOUD music blasting over the intercom (so loud we could hear it from the parking lot!!) The principal is gone until later this week, and I think they are taking advantage of that fact. We banged on the door and no one came, so I called another teacher and she told me that earlier other teachers (and the vice-principal) had banged on the door and rang the door bell for 30 minutes before the head custodian yelled at them and told them not to come back until Wednesday!! How can they hold so much power that they get to control when we get back in our rooms?! I'm so worried that with 3 half-days I won't be able to finish...UGH!
    Sorry, I'm just so mad right now. If my room were set up, I'd be able to enjoy the days, but now I'm just stressing!!! :(

3. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 18, 2008

I've had the same problem - last year I was able to get into the office to get my keys on time, but the janitors had just waxed the floors in my classroom - and I couldn't get into until the first day of school - which was meetings all day. So I had one day to set up before the kids got there. I was there all night that night.

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2008

Wow, you did it all in ONE day!? That's amazing! I'm hoping that they will let us stay past 2 p.m. since we're losing two days...but fat chance.:unsure:
    I hope you have a wonderful year coming up! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one going through this!

5. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I'm not able to get into my room until next Mon. (when I have to be at school Mon and Tues for other stuff and then Wed. starts workshops.) I feel your frustration!

6. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

That is terrible. You should bring it up at your first faculty meeting & see if this can be prevented next year. I wonder if your principal was aware of this. Ask if it's possible to stay later because of this inconvenience.:confused:

I was feeling frustrated at having to leave the building at 3 p.m. last week but this week one of the custodians stays until 5:00.:D

Good luck!

7. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Aug 18, 2008

I understand!!!

I had the same problem last week. They waited until the last minute to wax the hallways, so that threw everything off as far as trying to get into the room to finish my room-which meant that I ended up having to go to school on Saturday to get some things done and get copies made-I wanted to have all that stuff done b/f school started-I'm still not finished to my satisfaction-today was the students first day of school-so it really didn't matter what was finished-my hallway bulletin board and my door was done-I still have to put up my reading bulletin board-I will do those things gradually I am tired of killling myself and stressing myself out about it-

Have a great year everyone:)

8. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 18, 2008

Oh my! I would be incredibly upset also. I'm sorry that it will be so stressful. I guess that I should feel lucky that I have building keys and alarm codes (as do all the other teachers) so that I can come in any time.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2008

I am also lucky that I have an outside room so I come and go as I please all summer long. Today was our students first day back and school hours have been changed. Students are allowed in the buildings at 7:00. At 6:45 the custodian still wasn't here to open those building doors. There were loads of irate teachers standing around.

10. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

Didn't you receive official word when you could get into the building? We got a telephoned message, email, and letter from the superintendent saying when we could get in. I would definitely complain and discuss it at the next faculty meeting. That is ridiculous. Not for nothing, didn't the VP have a key?

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2008

The custodians are probably union......... and the union told them to not let you in... :whistle::whistle::whistle:

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 18, 2008

Don't stress & tha's hard, especially right now. If you have no control over the situation, you just have no control. I would see what I could do to make it better next year. I'm so sorry this happened.

JERKS!

13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2008

:mad: That IS frustrating!!! I would feel the exact same way! I'm sorry that you aren't able to get in until later in the week. That's really hard when you just want to get in there and get going.:(

14. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

Thanks for feeling for me... I found out last night that our contract states that we can get into our schools one week before we are required to be there...and technically, school starts on Wednesday, but we have to be at school on Monday for PD. So, depending on the wording, we may be able to file a grievance...the only reason any of us would go that far is because the principal won't do anything- our custodians get away with murder! I heard from others that teachers were stopping by all day and getting ignored or yelled at for being there...All the other schools in the district were open!! :mad:

15. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

That's sad TeacherC..... Why would the custodians care one way or the other.. :confused:

16. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

I guess it's just another two days to goof off...this is the infamous custodian team that steals money out of our desks and does nothing about cleaning the school except sweeping the floor. Oh well, like others said, there is nothing I can do...at least not now! :down:

17. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 19, 2008

I hope that you do at least end up getting to stay later than 2! I do know how you are feeling though! I'm a new teacher and new teacher inservice starts Thursday and I have inservices and workshops right up to when school begins.AND I live two and a half hours away from the district and cannot get into a place to stay up there until tomorrow! Luckily I'm middle school, so I won't have quite as much to set up as you, but I do feel the frustration!