So frustrated/sad with the lack of CA jobs

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by niseixtenshi, Sep 2, 2009.

1. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

i got my credential in 2005 and I've been subbing...being their "go to" sub for several years. I had 2 long-term positions that were from the first day of school till the last day of school. In Feb of this year, I finally secured a TC position in 6th grade. That position expired in June and all summer I've been going crazy looking for ANYTHING. Not one interview...and I'm so frustrated with the thought of having to be a sub - again. :|

Are there jobs in AZ or NV? I'm seriously considering getting out of here. I'm 28 and I've been been in a relationship for 6+ years. I want to move on in life..but without a job, it's impossible.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 2, 2009

I hear ya on everything you said! You're not alone! Good luck to you. Maybe tutor and do something else in the mean time. That's my plan. I've already substituted for a few years and waiting just for an interview, it's ridiculous!

4. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

Thank you. :) I felt like such a loser...until I realized how many other people were in the same boat. It's definitely a difficult time. Good luck to you as well!

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

There are a couple other AtoZers from Cali looking in Arizona. Y'all need to partner up and share info about possibilities.

6. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

Yes, you are not alone! I'm living off one income (a TA's income) with three kids and a husband on disability and am still looking for a teaching job!

7. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

You are NOT alone! I have 7 years experience in my own classroom, and can't find a job. I was on a temp. contract this past year, but got bumped when the district did layoffs. CA is a horrible place for teaching right now. One district just laid off a bunch more people, the week before school started, due to low enrollment numbers! I feel like nobody is safe! I'm in Special Ed. and can't find anything. I've decided that I can't stay in teaching because I too need to move on in my life and get a steady job. I owe tons in student loans which is a joke, because I've got all this education and can't find anything! I'm now trying to get a job outside of teaching, but that's almost impossible too. I'd love to relocate, but can't afford to! Not sure about NV, but I've heard AZ might be a bit better. I totally understand your frustration, especially about moving on in life...I'm trying to do that, but without a job, it is impossible! Anyway, know you are not alone, and that CA is just a mess right now! Good luck!

8. KitKat

KitKat Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

I hear you. I to have a special ed and multiple subject credential in CA as well. I am so tired of subbing and want my own class again. I am so wanting to move out of CA, however I am stuck here because my husband's job. Thank God he has a job.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2009

I've taught for four years and have to go back to subbing again too. It's a VERY tough year with MANY MANY teachers unemployed. I know I definitely graduated and became a teacher at the wrong time.

BUT, I'm kinda looking forward to being a sub. Right now, I have a temp job until Octber where I go to different schools and test kids. It's been a lot of fun meeting different kids, looking at different classrooms. I've also been "selling" myself to the teachers, so that when I do start subbing, they will mostly be by referrals. I have another teacher whose going to refer me to long term subbing at the end of the year. It's kind of nice not being stuck with a class the whole year. I don't know, I'm trying to be positive about subbing, but I get how many are sick and tired of it. It's a weird year.

10. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

Wow..and I heard if you have a special ed credential you're good. Guess nobody is safe... :|

11. KitKat

KitKat Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

Nope because a lot of general education teachers went back to get special education credentials because they were tired of getting pinked slipped and or worrying about having a job from year to year. So has of right now there are special ed jobs out there, however competition is greater. Not to mention some districts are hiring interns over credentialed teachers because they can pay them less. It really stinks.

12. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

bummer...:hugs:

13. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

I'm a SPED teacher in CA, and there are no jobs at all in my area. Only OT and Speech positions. I have 7 years experience, and feel like it may be a disadvantage. It saves districts a ton of money to hire interns rather than pay for the years an experienced teacher has. :(

14. KitKat

KitKat Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

I know I have 10 years experience in special education and I do move around a lot due to my husband being military. So I never get to stay put long, another reason it hurts me I think. Out of all our moves though, this one back into CA has been the toughest on me getting a job. So depressing.

15. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 2, 2009

I hear that! How do you stand out from the other couple hundred people that apply? Most the teachers that are appling are also just as desperate as you to get a job. I was advised not to mention anything about having a masters cause then they won't want me because it costs more.... kinda frustrating! Do you think that most of the time Principals already have an idea who they are hiring before they even interview?

16. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Sep 3, 2009

I hear ya'll on that one. You're not the only one suffering. At my son's school, they have increased the amount of students in 4th grade up to 37 students with 4 classrooms (not fun for the teacher). Talk about NCLB. Why not just add another classroom and teacher? I know- "too expensive" for school districts to pay out. I'm sure a lot of school districts are doing that. So, there goes an opportunity for a teacher teaching in a CA classroom.

17. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 3, 2009

lets all cross our fingers that people will come to their senses and bring down class size... better for the kids... more jobs. I'm not sure I'd want to teach a class with 30+ kids (for primary).

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 3, 2009

With what money?

19. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Sep 3, 2009

???

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 3, 2009

Never mind.

21. unflappable

unflappable Rookie

Sep 4, 2009

I too am back to subbing...again. Unfortunately I've been told from many principals that next year won't be any better. Long term assignments are now going to pinked teachers instead of subs. It is going to be some time before this lightens up but it is really important to not take any of this personally. It's hard but it really has nothing to do with any of us or our abilities as teachers - it's just a budget thing. Let's hope it all happens sooner than latter!

22. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Sep 4, 2009

Yes, my old district has already warned people that the coming year will be worse. More layoffs and cuts all around. It's almost impossible to get sub jobs around here as the sub pools are full-mostly from teachers who lost their jobs. CA is a mess! That's why I feel like I need to get out now. I don't see things improving for a while. My question is: what kind of job can I get in the meantime??!! I can't seem to find anything else. Apparently, I'm not qualified to do anything, since I was a teacher. Unbelievable. You hear all the time about teachers leaving the profession for one reason or another. Where are they going?!!
    As for taking things personally...I'm trying not to, but it's hard. I feel like such a bum for being unemployed, and I feel desperate when I think that I may not be able to pay my bills in a month or so!

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2009

\

I think she was referring to the post about bringing down class sizes and opening up more classrooms. While that is the ideal situation, I do not see this happening for quite a while. It's very scary right now. I'm very curious to see where we go from here.

24. scott connuck

scott connuck Rookie

Sep 4, 2009

Perhaps you might consider your neighbor to the east-- Arizona! Opportunities abound here. P.S.-- Tucson is quite a bit cooler than Phoenix, especially at night. Best of luck!
    Scott Connuck

25. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 4, 2009

Scott Tucson is also cooler than Phoenix! ;)

Tucson is one of my favorite non-California cities.

26. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Sep 4, 2009

Good to know...thanks! I'll look into it. :thumb:

27. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Sep 4, 2009

I wish I could move but I don't think the family will go for it.

I think Teacher Groupie was pointing out that there is no money to reduce class sizes, so while it is great to talk about, how is it going to be accomplished.

28. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

I taught for 6 years and was diagnosed with a brain tumor (benign) and that same year my emergency expired. I resigned for personal reasons. I had to get a 30 day credential and I passed the last test section on the CSET and obtained my Clear. I've been subbing for 6 years and applying everywhere and still nothing. I completely understand what you and everyone else is feeling. Stay persistence and motivating, as the students enjoy having me in their class. I am sure I'll have a LTS in Jan. 2010 until June. Maybe things will turn around. I sub in 3 districts also.

29. RSMY

RSMY Rookie

Sep 5, 2009

I was in the same boat...Recived my CA credential in 2007 and no job, so I decided to apply in NV and this year i'm teaching 3 rd grade. Although, I miss CA i'm very happy. I 'm not that far and since i'm in an all year round school, I can come home!

30. ereliz33

ereliz33 Rookie

Sep 5, 2009

I, too, am in Southern California. I am so discouraged. I don't want to leave, but I am really wondering what else my option is. I'm subbing and trying to stay patient and hopeful, but really!

31. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 5, 2009

I have watched the teaching situation here in Cali decline over the past 5 years in terms of jobs. people are leaving the state, because nobody can afford to live here, which causes reduction in enrollment. And now, with this recession the state has chosen to continue cutting the education budget. I was born and raised here in California, and I am sickened by how the state has changed. Over the last year I have gotten really serious about pursuing a job in Arizona. As scott connuck said, they do have more opportunities. As long as the legislature keeps disregard the importance of education, and businesses keep leaving the state that so relies on that tax revenue, it will be that much longer for California to recover. I have an interview next week near Phoenix. A lot of AZ schools like CA t eachers...we work our butts off to get a credential. It's worth thinking about.