So far I hate it......

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wldywall, Aug 20, 2014.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2014

Well I am here in Vegas.

It sucks

Or maybe it is that I am hot, they messed up paperwork and so they are JUST NOW starting the vetting process when they told me that it was done and my contract would be ready when I got here.

Oh, and they were MAD at me that no one had ever observed me substitute teach in the last year. IT NEVER HAPPENS IN MICHIGAN THAT IS WHAT AESOP IS FOR!

THEY YELLED AT ME THAT I COULDN'T PROVIDE A REFERENCE FOR THAT JOB.....WHEN I DID!

I am so frustrated about all of this, why tell me that I had a contract ready to go when I didn't???????

The good news is the principal has been on the phone trying to fix things, and they have already started to call my references to confirm things, so it shouldn't be much longer.

Waiting on an apartment complex to see if I can find a place to live.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 20, 2014

Sounds like they dropped the ball and are blaming you so they won't look stupid (what kind of unprofessional dolt yells at people on the phone?????).
    Hope everything works out!

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 20, 2014

Good news--p seems to have your back! Working in a major city, I've learned to never be dumbfounded at office work. It's always our fault. Focus on that job! I would think moving from home, the new home will always stink at first. Can you look up places to explore if you have time to even do that?

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 20, 2014

Yikes!

Ok, now that's out...what good things happened today?

(just trying to see the silver lining!)

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2014

Well I got to Vegas?

Ummm, their is air conditioning in the hotel room?

Grasping at straws here people........ I just want to get an apartment, the whole point about pushing to get here before school starts is so my son could start on time and well, he can't start if we don't have an address.....

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2014

Oh and Arizona is really pretty!

Will add pics to my other thread later tonight

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 20, 2014

Ok, so that is a victory in and of itself! You successfully packed up an entire household and moved it cross country in a week! Woot!! And, you got to see some nice scenery along the way!

This paperwork issue will pass. It will get worked out, and until it does, it's out of your hands. Right? So let it happen and relax. Your son will appreciate that.

You're gonna be ok, we're going to help you stay sane!

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2014

Yes, but that assumes so much..........like me being sane in the first place. :p

Packing up and moving across country in a week is a sure sign of insanity.....must be.....cause that is what it felt like

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

Stay strong, wldy. It will be okay.

11. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Aug 20, 2014

I don't live in a large city and it amazes me how the office at our school seems to control what we do. It almost seems like the secretaries are more important than some teachers.

As someone said, the P is behind you all the way and is trying to get things moving in the right direction. Things will be okay.

Please keep us posted!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2014

It sounds like your P will make sure stuff gets sorted out. The have-a-job-but-it-isn't-offical limbo sucks!

13. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 20, 2014

Yikes. I know how this feels. I had to wait 6 weeks before I was officially cleared to work for the school in my city. 6 WEEKS!!! Yeah it was stressful. But like you my admin had my back and helped try to push things through.

It'll work out. Hang in there!

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2014

One of the good things is that the long trip is behind you!

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

:(

16. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2014

Update on the job situation.

They want a current reference from subbing, I had given them numbers before, but this time I gave them to my P, who will make sure they call the right people. The others on my list have already been getting calls today. I will also call my sub employer and let them know to call Clark County to confirm I worked there, and was already rehired for this coming school year (therefore answering their ONE AND ONLY QUESTION!)

I have successfully applied for an apartment, took 3 hours, but it is done. If things go well I can move in Friday, coincidentally right when I have to leave the Wild Wild West (ie my hotel)

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2014

Oh, and tonight we just might hit the strip to find dinner.....cause I don't wanna drive anymore!

(someone tell Amanda we need a temper tantrum emoticon.....good old foot stomping, arms failing emoticon....yep, I would use it)

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

Glad things are falling into place. Hugs, wldy.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 20, 2014

Lots of frustrations in the whole process. But, you've handled it so far. Good for you. I hate the heat in Florida, so I get that. Yup, appreciate the a/c. It is your friend. How great that your principal is behind you all the way. You can do this.

20. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 20, 2014

Glad things are coming together!

I would totally walk to In n Out Burger :woot: (I believe it's near by) but that's because we don't have any here in NY :(

21. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2014

I will see what the son things about IN and Out burger....right now he is making sure he is worthy of being "seen"

22. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Aug 20, 2014

Good Luck with everything! Being at the end of the drive and making the move sounds like it had the foundation for a good day.

I remember very vividly my first week moving from Ohio to South Carolina. I had a little over a week to pack but not much. The first 5 days or so I had to stay in a hotel while my apartment was being finished. I was not a fan of hotel living. One of my memories involved going to the nearest gas station at 2 am to get medicine for my headache. I was convinced the headache was because of heat so I tried not to go out at all. I called home complaining about the heat. I remember thinking that first winter I couldn't brag too much about the winter warmth because I complained to loudly about the summer heat that first week.

Best of luck to you!

23. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 20, 2014

I promise you won't regret it, if you like burgers and shakes. :)

Of course you're living in LV so you can have it anytime. Which makes me jealous. :lol:

24. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 21, 2014

A nice cheap place is Firefly (Tapas, aka small plates, place, for four people, it's around $70 including tip - you could probably make it 30-40 for two) - http://www.fireflylv.com/ You order 2-3 plates per person. That fills up an average person (I'm skinny, 1 1/2 plates worth of food filled me up. Their bacon wrapped dates are amazing.)

There's Hash House a go-go for breakfast - very cheap, large portions.

There's also The Bagel Cafe - http://www.thebagelcafelv.com/

My aunt took my family there when we went to Vegas. It's low price and delicious (at least the Summerlin area location)

25. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 21, 2014

Well your principal sounds really supportive even if HR isn't. HR can be really dumb. Don't sweat them. Just keep on trucking and keep in communication w/your principal. They will get you in there.

26. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2014

REGRET IT??????

Are you insane???? I thought I would be trampled! I have never seen such chaos in my life! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

But the burgers were really great.... :D

And I have a new career to threaten my son with if he doesn't graduate this year (a year late), In and Out burger potato peeler and fry maker. That is worse than burger flipper at McD's any day. That guy was moving so fast and looking like he wanted to bang his head into a wall the entire time.

Of course next time I go, I find another location. There were LIMO's going through the drive thru, nearly 20 people waiting to pick up their orders.....insanity!

27. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2014

At this point it stands at my principal having every possible number for what they need. Both to the school I subbed at the most and to the sub contracting company.....someone has to be able to give them the answer they seek!

28. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2014

Oh goodie, places to try tomorrow!

29. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 21, 2014

LOL I feel your pain. My husband had to wait literally over two months for HR to get their crap together. TWO MONTHS! lol It was a mess. They also wanted a reference to someone that observed him teach OVERSEAS. :rolleyes: That reference ended up basically verbally kicking their butts over them not having hired him yet. lol Through all this, the principal didn't stray. She stayed with it and had his back. It turned out that he helped turn his grade level around. So everyone ended up happy despite the long wait. You will be ok. Enjoy a margarita or something. :)

30. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 21, 2014

I could only imagine! I've only gone to it during lunch time when it's not terrible, but always a line for sure. Then again things like this don't phase me living in a big city, certain places like a very delicious Halal Foodtruck always has a long line and they yell at you if you hesitate your order. So you learn to roll with it because the food is that good! :lol:

There's other locations in Vegas I believe, that's just the closest to the strip.

Definitely try Hash House a Go Go! Their food portions are HUGE! :woot: and quite tasty! :)

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

I would avoid Firefly. One of their locations had a massive salmonella outbreak last year, with like hundreds of people sickened. I question their sanitation policies and procedures.

Hash House is excellent. I love (love, love, love) the pork tenderloin sandwich.

A good, cheap place slightly off the strip is Mr. Lucky's 24/7 at the Hard Rock Hotel. It's not on the menu, but you can ask for the "gambler's special", which is steak, shrimp, mashed potatoes, and salad for $7.77.

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

I am so sorry that it hasn't been the best start to living in Nevada. I hope that the food choices make it worth it and that you move into the apartment with no troubles. Luckily the P has your back and sounds like s/he is doing everything in their power to get things moving more quickly through HR for you.

33. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2014

I've been reading along as you take us through your journey and it sounds to me that things will all work out in the end but it might take a little time. Still, my thinking is, if they need you to be at the school on a particular start date, they will jump through hoops to make that happen. They have to! Sounds like the eating is good there! Enjoy!

34. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014

Nevada is such a beautiful state. Be sure to take a trip out to the Hoover Dam. I'm envious, I've been trying to move out there for 4 years now...maybe one day! Oh, and the good part about working in NV is no state income tax!

35. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2014

I am beyond hating it now.......

The apartment we had lined before we left fell through. Suddenly they wanted 1115 now, and another 600 in ten days. I had enough cash on hand for what they told me in Michigan.....which isn't enough.

That is after spending 90 in non refundable application fees.

Finding places willing to rent to us is a nightmare.....I cannot even ask the district for help on that yet because they are one phone call away from moving me back to contracting.

Oh on that phone call, PESG was REFUSING to talk to them because Clark County didn't do things right. The poor ladies at Clark County several times over the week sat on hold for over 30 mins each time, left messages, emailed and still go no response. So I called and chewed them out. Telling me that they won't fill out a verification form because it first (picture a tiny office in a mini mall as you read this) goes to the fax machine, is then sorted by name, put into a file, removed from file, then responded to in the order it was received. Four people work at that office, all within a few steps of each other. No wonder it is a two day turn around.......grrrr.

I managed to get a direct line phone number and passed it on to the verification lady.....enough is enough.

DH found another complex I will apply to tomorrow, and I have booked the hotel for three more nights.

Guess I won't be starting with my kiddos on the first day, nor will my son be allowed to start school.

No one here will help me, all because of one (*(&^%$&Y( phone call by a company that is ****** off that Ottawa County, Jackson County and three other counties in MI fired them for placing bad subs into the buildings

36. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 21, 2014

So sorry they are stressing you out over this. Maybe tomorrow things will get pushed through! If not, take a breather and enjoy the weekend like a tourist, Vegas is a great place to explore even off the strip.

37. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 21, 2014

Sorry to hear of all the troubles. Hope things start to fall into place better tomorrow.

38. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2014

:hugs: I'm sorry things are starting off so poorly!

Could you try another PESG branch? Are you dealing with the main office in Caledonia? There is another office in Burton. I'm not sure if they could help you since the schools you subbed in were closer to Caledonia, but it could be worth a shot. Maybe I could drive to one of the offices and demand action :lol:

39. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

I am really sorry. :( I don't know why this is such a mess for you. Everything went very smoothly for me back in the day. All I can say is hang in there. It will work out.

40. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2014

Yes the one in Caledonia...as it is the closest to where I worked.....I may have made progress today.....I'm calling HR in the morning to check.

Ceaser, who do I call at hr to get relocation help? I tried asking but I got one of the temps who told me I don't have the right to ask yet

I'm in tears here people....I feel like I ruined everyone's life

41. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

You haven't ruined anyone's life. This is a hiccup that isn't your fault and will be resolved soon.

I don't understand why anyone told you that you don't have the right to ask about relocation assistance. That is super weird. Have you spoken with your principal? He or she might be able to put you in touch with the right person. That's your best bet, I would think. Otherwise call HR back and ask to speak to someone else who isn't a jerk.