So excited, wanted to share!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MissTeach22, Jul 24, 2009.

1. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 24, 2009

So, I just got to see my classroom today for the first time..It is huge! I have two chalkboards, 4 bulletin boards, an entire wall "library shelving" to the ceiling and two attached "extra" rooms...one for the childrens cubbies/my office and another just lined with shelves for storage! This is my first teaching job, so I don't even know where to start. Mind you, this room is completely empty!! I have a ton of decorating/gathering up materials/making centers to do! I am so excited :) I knew this would be the right place to share, as others would understand my excitement!

3. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

I hate you.

Just kidding! :) My room is so small.

You are going to have so much fun putting your classroom together. Best of luck!

4. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jul 25, 2009

How exciting! Congratulations.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 25, 2009

That room sounds fantastic!

I have a brand new classroom this year in a brand new building (also my first year as a teacher). The room size is spacious enough but the design is a bit off. First of all they told the teachers that the rooms would be bigger than the rooms in their previous building. Nobody could get their hands on the actual measurements. They ordered too many desks, tables, bookshelves, etc. There isn't room for all of it. Normally we would put unnecessary furniture in a storage room somewhere but when I suggested this, the P said that the state won't go for that because it would look bad that we ordered too much furniture and wasted the taxpayers dollars. Normally I love tons of furniture but not when I can't fit it all in.

The other part I don't like is we have a panel that looks like a blue corkboard that goes around the perimeter of the room. It isn't at a good useable height which makes it awkward to design the room. It is about 3 feet tall. They are sound proofing panels. I like the idea but these are our "bulletin boards and it runs along the entire room (except where the cabinets, doors, whiteboards and smartboard are. I haven't figured out how to be creative with this yet.

The kicker is I have no idea what kind of furniture is inside all the BIG boxes that are sitting in a corner. That's just the stuff I know about. I think most of those are bookcases though but there are 8-10 boxes left unpacked. I asked if I could go ahead and unpack them. My P said maintance has to do it because they check to see if there are any damages.

What's even more amazing is we start school at the end of August and the building that was supposed to be ready last December doesn't even have the playgrounds ready yet. They haven't even started! Much of the furniture is unpacked. I have no idea how they plan to get all this up and running in time.

:lol:
    Haha, this post was supposed to be about YOUR room and I started rambling about MINE. Yep, I understand your excitement! What grade are you teaching? I have no idea what to gather for my room yet.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 25, 2009

The best part is having a space for cubbies and your office! Our closet for jackets/backpacks always looks soooo cluttered. And don't get me started about my desk . . . what a dream to have your own space with an office.

I am lucky though, as my room is pretty large and one entire wall is windows looking onto the Pacific Ocean . . .

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 25, 2009

I sooo envy your closet. Our old building has those in some of the rooms and that is SWEET!

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 25, 2009

It isn't too bad when I shut the folding doors! Maybe I will have clost door closer as a job this year. Have that person close the doors after everyone arrives and after recesses. When the doors are closed, the room looks much nicer. (kids like to hide in there too!)

Cutnglue- You are going to have to either sneak the extra furniture out, or convince your P that having things in storage is not wasteful - someone else might need something you don't, and there it is in the closet. Or your needs might change over time. But you can't have a bunch of extra furniture shoved in a classroom - it clutters the mind too!

All of you have fun with your rooms- they sound great. I am starting to get inspired. Been kinda in a rut w/my classroom set up so I guess I need to shake things up..

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 25, 2009

Bonneb, ALL the classrooms ordered too much furniture. We were led to believe the rooms were significantly bigger. The P doesn't care if we store it. She says the state will care when they come to inspect.

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 25, 2009

I'm so happy for you. I'm supposed to be moving to a new classroom but since we areain a child care cneter I still ahve to stay in my old room for the summer. I mght get a week to be in the new room if the teacher in there is willing to swap rooms with me for the week before open house. Then on Friday I stopped in to take measurements of the windows for new curtains (Ive been on vacation) and my director told me that sheisn't sure who is going to be in what classroom because numbers are low etc. I'm definitely moving up an age group, but could end up in my same physical space---and Ihave to change my class name and am having a total brain cramp. I'll pull it togetehr though it will msot likely take a weekend of my own time. Set up what you need, find a way to incorporate a few of the extra items and put the rest in storage. If the state needs reasons tell them, having spares saves the tax payers money inthe long run becasue when something breaks you don't ned to go out and replace it mid year when everything costs more :)

11. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 25, 2009

I envy you! My classroom is pretty small, but I'll make it work. Congratulations!