So Excited- State Testing scores!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DocuiSedecim, Oct 3, 2010.

1. DocuiSedecim

DocuiSedecim Rookie

Oct 3, 2010

I have been able to finally go over my class scores from last year. I was blown away with the growth that my class achieved. Last year was my second year as an intern teacher, and first teaching all day self-contained. I am finally going to be finishing my credential this semester, and and glad to be done with it.

My sixth graders (self-contained) went from the lowest in the county in math and language arts in fifth grade, to second highest in math and third highest in language arts at the end of sixth. I had a student go from below basic in math to having a perfect score in math, and the same student went from far below basic to proficient in language arts. On average my students went up between 50 and 200 points on their STAR tests. My class went from 60 percent below basic and far below basic to 50 percent advanced and proficient. My K-6 school API scores rose 130 points this year. We are all blown away.

Now I begin to question California's teacher credentialing programs. I was able to achieve marked growth having taken very few classes in education. My class had children reading at pre-primer levels with horrible behavioral issues- and yet I, someone who had more growth than anyone else in my county, am required to finish my ridiculous classes that give very little assistance. Not to mention I am first on the fire list. God I hope that we begin to look at teachers based on ability not tenure. Before I get flamed, I do not mean only on test scores, but instead based upon ability to influence, educate, and inspire students. It is hard to watch teachers who do not want to change or simply do not care.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2010

Congratulations on your and your students' successes! Want to shed some light on what you feel was the secrets to the success?

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 3, 2010

Congratulations!!! And please share any advice if you'd like.