So embarrassed!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by maebowler, Sep 8, 2009.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Sep 8, 2009

Today when I was leaving school, I was talking on the phone with my dh and backed into the car behind me. Usually (like everyday since school started), there have been no cars behind me, so I just went and then I bumped into the car behind me. I caught the license plate and scratched the bumper of the other car. My car has more damage; it will have to go in to get the bumper repainted. I don't know who the car belongs to, so I left a note telling them what happened and who I was and that I would pay to have the bumper fixed. I'm just scared for tomorrow at school and how embarrassed I'll be. I've never done anything like this and I spend the drive home bawling. I feel so stupid.

3. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Sep 8, 2009

Aww *woo woo woo* at least you were cordial enough to leave a message most people would hit it and run anonymously. I am sure the other person will work something out with you. All the best.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 8, 2009

Don't be embarrassed-it happens all the time! You did everything right! Dh has backed up into a huge telephone pole and TWO rental booths. And he claims to not have been embarrassed by either... but I bring them up as often as I can. ;)

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 8, 2009

No need to be embarrassed at all. Annoyed? Sure! But not embarrassed :).

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 8, 2009

Oh, I am so sorry. That's not a fun way to start the year.:(

7. Apple125

Apple125 Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

Don't worry about it! My vice principal backed into my car on the first day of school this year! It just barely cracked my headlight, but the bill to fix it was over $250 :eek:

The person who hit you will probably just be glad you told them at all. Everyone has done something like this before.

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 8, 2009

I backed into a brick ledge about a week after I bought my first car. Don't worry about it!

9. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 8, 2009

Bumped a parent's car when I was teaching Head Start. Oops.

It happens. :)

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2009

A little less embarassing than hitting a colleague's car though, KWIM?

A colleague backed into me one day and came in the building and said she reallly thought she had hit the school and didn't realize that she had hit a car until she turned around. :dizzy: This was about a year after she backed into a colleagues JAGUAR. :eek: She was a bit of a nightmare.

I rubbed a colleague's bumper while backing out one day. I felt like total crap as she was a new teacher and this was her new car. Her dad and brother are very handy handymen and were able to buff out most of the damage...but I still felt awful.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 8, 2009

Oh man, well that kind of thing happens...never to me yet & I hope it never does.

12. janney

janney Cohort

Sep 8, 2009

You were honest, that's better than some people would be. I had a neighbor back into my car and didn't say a thing.

P.S. No more talking on the phone in a school zone.:thumb:

13. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Sep 8, 2009

You definitely did the right thing in leaving your information. My neighbor backed into my car door 2 years ago and left a note on the windshield to fix it up. All was good, until my car got backed into AGAIN in the same spot, with no note the second time!!! Hmmm.... wonder who it could have been? Still have a nice big $600 dent from that one.
    I understand being nervous, but the person will probably be thankful you handled it the way you did. I agree with janney- no more phones!

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2009

A parent hit my car last year in the school parking lot. They never told me-they just tried to leave. A few of the aides who were working in the parking lot let me know and gave me the name of the parent. My principal told me not to do anything about it. I was planning on taking it in anyway (he didn't always have the best advice), but I got too busy and forgot. There wasn't really bad damage, but it would have been nice if they told me.

15. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Sep 8, 2009

On my first teaching job, a parent who had come to school to see who her children's teachers were backed into my car and broke the parking light. She gave me her insurance info. but I never followed through with repairs. A few years later, her son was in my class and she was worried I'd been holding a grudge about the accident. We actually became friends instead and I still hear from the family even though my former student is now 24 years old! Accidents happen.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 8, 2009

Well..... the two rental booth cars were work rentals with co-workers IN them, so it could be right up there with this. In fact, he also scraped up a huge van he was driving to the Chevy showroom when he worked on their ad account in MI. That idea had to be scrapped... pun intended. ;)

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2009

I would have left a note that said "I hit your car and the people that are watching me think I an giving you my Phone number and insurance info well I am not. Have a nice day" :toofunny:

All kidding aside I would have only written that "I saw who hit your car" or "I know who hit your car" (which is not a lie) that way the person will think there is a witness and will not trump up more damage. with a note, the person has your statement that you did damage to his/her car and not how much damage, also I would have taken pictures with my cell phone of the Damage. You may be trustworthy but not everyone is

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2009

My brother had a new English teacher one year, and my dad backed into her car at the grocery the week before school started. My dad works at a car dealership, so they were able to take care of everything, but that teacher never really liked my brother...(and he had her for 6 years!)

19. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

They call them accidents for a reason!

Big hugs. I backed into my dh's car a few months ago, in our driveway *cringe*.

You dealt with this completely appropriately. No one is a perfect driver. Don't even worry about it!

20. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Sep 9, 2009

Oh wow...UPDATE?

Whose car was it??

21. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2009

:lol::lol::lol:

Excellent points Dave. Additionally, while you might mention you hit the car, it's not entirely wise to take blame and agree to pay in the note. There could be other circumstances that don't make you responsible -- if they're illegally parked or something, for example.