So embarrassed, made a real mistake, brand new to teaching

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Joteach, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Joteach

Joteach New Member

Aug 16, 2021

Hello. I wonder what words of wisdom anyone has for me? I am a brand new teaching assistant starting now. I am career changing from another profession. I have been working in a holiday club setting at the school for the last week and about to start in the classroom. Will be training for teaching during this academic year too. I want yo be a senior school teacher but the only post I could get is in a class of 5-7 year olds.
    Had a terrible experience today with a 5/6 year old boy. He was running around frequently hitting other children. Several other teachers had confronted him. He was refusing to apologise to children he hurt. Then I saw him attacking another child. He then attacked me , kicking me. I pulled him aside told him it was absolutely unacceptable and to apologise. He refused and tried to run off. I tried to hold on to him and he started hitting and kicking. It escalated and he was going crazy, hitting at the wall etc. I tried to hold him safely but felt really uncomfortable about it. I couldn't see a way out and we were in a corridor so I picked him up to go to an empty room to let him ho safely and cool off. Just then, 3 qualified, experienced teachers came along. A colleague took the boy to cool down and the teachers started saying they just found out the boy has ADHD and this is typical behaviour according to his previous teachers. They asked if I didn't know how to handle ADHD and that he didn't mean to be naughty and I must not 'corner' him. In other words no fault of him, I was getting it all wrong. I felt so small and I'm so worried about it. It is not how I want to present myself at all. I now have no idea how to deal with him. Any advice or experience gratefully received.

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 16, 2021

Now that he has a diagnosis, I guarantee an IEP or 504 will follow up. During those meetings, share your observations and ask for help with a plan for his behavior. Those with more information will help.

Joteach likes this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 16, 2021

First of all, :welcome::atoz_love:

I don't think your mistake was horrific. If anything, your co-teachers neglected to inform you that this boy has a disability that may result in outbursts. Absolutely not fair that you were kept out of the loop on this while still being expected to supervise him.

In the future, if a student is acting up to the extent that other people are in danger, get them out of the room. It will lower the amount of over-stimulation, minimize damage, and possibly deflate the student who has lost an audience. This is the case with or without a medical diagnosis for the student.

Don't be hard on yourself but do take this as a learning opportunity. I knew nothing about de-escalation techniques until I came to my current school, which trains us all and also offers advanced training to safely hold students when they cannot be calmed. This might be a good time to talk with your supervisor to see if you have any online lessons from your school or perhaps your county.

Backroads and Joteach like this.
  5. Joteach

Joteach New Member

Aug 16, 2021

Thank you. I'll definitely follow that up.

6. Joteach

Joteach New Member

Aug 16, 2021

Thank you, will do.