So---Do your students show up the first day?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 14, 2006.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 14, 2006

I mean it seems like a "duh" thing---but here is one thing about Chicago that still has me stumped. They were ultra excited last year that only about 32,000 kids missed the first day last year and this was improvement. They have huge parades, door knocking campaigns, and "first day of school" give-aways. Of course attendance = money. Anyway I am not sure if this counts the kids who are not yet enrolled-- anyway the last two years it has seemed wierd to me.

eta the article where I got my data from the CPS website---
    http://cps.k12.il.us/AboutCPS/PressReleases/September_2005/attendance_high.htm

3. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 14, 2006

oh my god chicago turtle, i always love your posts!

now, back to the topic, i never heard of this before! is it a certian age group that tends to not show up, is it a family thing (no one cares enough to get the child up and out) is it an economic thing (no money for a bus, or to put gas in the car)
    or do they not know?

4. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 14, 2006

In the past yes, for the most part. This year, for the first time, we go back for 4 days before Labor day, with 5 days off (F, S, S, M, T) before the kids show up again. Most parents don't bring their kids back from Mexico until Labor Day, so it will be interesting to see if it changes.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 14, 2006

Oh staying on the topic is so not in my genes :) ----

I am not sure why it happens-- It is interesting though. You would think after summer most families would be excited to get the kids off to school. Most kids go to the "neigborhood school" and there are schools about every other block around here. I find new ones running (when I'm not injured) all the time...They had the huge parade last weekend (though school starts AFTER LABOR DAY so maybe they forget!) They take news crews and police departments and anyone else and knock door to door in some hoods and post flyers and still 32,000 kids didn't show up. This was a sucess because they year before it was 38,000! See now my kids get phased in, but I don't think pre-k or k attendance even counts. Kindergarten isn't required in Illinois.

6. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 14, 2006

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 14, 2006

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 14, 2006

This is sometimes a problem for our schools after Winter Break... Maybe that had something to do with why we changed this year---hmm.. we were out on the 23- 9th (of Jan)....

9. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

i student taught in CPS and the teachers always told me it was because of the students going back to their "home" countries for the summer and just coming back when they felt like it. Even after Xmas break a bunch of kids took an extra week off. And I did the high schools..but I think out of that 32,000 its mostly high schoolers. Also, I know CPS does the phone tree too--an automated call to all CPS students to remind the...one for each kid. My little brother and sister each got a call. But they don't need one because there is no way they would miss the first day..or really any day.

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 14, 2006

Who knows how well that works though--- the phone tree-- I had a few families with the same number for 2 years and then a few families with a new number each month--- One of my families had SEVEN different phone number one months---

ETA I didn't know we did this! Do you think they are translated into the predominant language of the community?

11. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 14, 2006

we also don't have our Mexican children come back until the week after labor day. Out of the 24 students on my list last year only 20 showed up on the first day(we started before Labor Day), after labor day all 24 were there.

12. Cole

Cole Companion

Aug 14, 2006

Most of my kids do show up on the first day of school. Some will miss for whatever reason and be there the 2nd day.

We do have somewhat of a high migrant population though, so a lot of our hispanic kids dont come until after labor day, and we start the middle of august (kids first day was today).

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 14, 2006

(shakes head)

This year is the only year I have had perfect attendance for days 1, 2, and 3. Hallelujah. :)

14. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 14, 2006

We have a new phone system in our district and tonight there was a mass call reminding parents when school starts.

I'm not exactly sure why I got it - I only teach there. We don't have kids yet.

15. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 15, 2006

I had 20 on my list for the first day, 14 showed up, I'm down to 12 regularly coming now........... after 8 days.

Kelly

16. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 15, 2006

I DO NOT look forward to attendance keeping the first week or so of school. We aren't allowed to record anything in the attendance book until that period of time passes when we know who is showing up regularly. Then we have to transfer the info to the official book. I think this is so we don't lose money per student from the state. Isn't it enough to make you want to scream when kids come strolling in for their first day on day 7 or 8? I'm so glad you started this thread chicagoturtle because I forgot all about this. I need to write an assignment sheet up that I can hand to kids coming late in the month so they can catch up at home. MORE WORK!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!

17. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 15, 2006

Don't you have to put all your kids in your books reguardless of how many days they come once you "e" them in? The auditors apparently only count "e"s not "l"s well maybe that is a generalization based on ESY--- or maybe I misunderstood--- anyway We didn't even get our real books till October last year! Attendance is my worst nightmare! We have 3-4 different places they make us keep it depending on the kid--- ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

18. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 15, 2006

Nope...we have separate blue attendance sheets for the first two weeks or so. We have the printed green attendance books but we don't transefer info to those until a few weeks have passed.
    We "e" them on the blue then transfer later to the green.

19. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 15, 2006

We have two different books too-- the entire year-- and truancy sheets----we put everyone in the green/blue "real" attendance books-- even if they have already been "l"ed... I hate those books. Every time I swear I make some crazy mistake witht he crazy symbols etc... I understand every school deals with them differently-- seriously I cried many many tears over that book my first year--- MANY TEARS--- TO MANY TEARS--

20. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 15, 2006

How long did it take you to do the monthly summary when you started? I'm proud to say I can do it in about 5 minutes now!!!

21. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 15, 2006

Well considering my first year I had 7 montly summary sheets for 11 kids--- it took awhile--- Last year it was cake- though there were AM/PM/Disability shifts I had an easier handle on it...

22. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 16, 2006

Why do you have to have one for each child? Are we both talking about the attendance/membership monthly summary?

23. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Aug 16, 2006

Cincinnati Public has the same problem. We also have "celebrations," give-aways, two years ago every teacher got a "It's Cool To Be In School" t-shirt we had to wear the first day (and how much $$$ did THAT cost), etc, etc. We usually do our "official" student count the first week of October--then teachers get shuffled around from school to school based on enrollment. It's awful. It's like starting school all over again as classes are re-organized, people change grade levels, new teachers come in, other teachers are surplussed...YUCK! This year they say they are going to try to do it within two weeks...but some students still won't have shown up by then.

We also have a lot of students who take the last week of school off!

24. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 16, 2006

Have to split them up by AM/PM/Full Day, Disability etc...

25. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

I know a few years ago I picked up the phone at my parents to get the call and they were translated into Spanish & Polish (because everyone except me speaks those two in Chicago). But now I have heard they translate more languages in CPS...tagalog (sp) and some other ones I'm not sure though. They should offer it in every language!

26. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 16, 2006

Yeah the "high needs" language list on one of the CPS websites had languages I've never even heard of!

I wish I spoke Spanish-- it'd make my life a lot easier!