So, do you drop off resumes or simply send them via email?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by EZLN1, Apr 14, 2010.

1. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Apr 14, 2010

I've seen some conflicting answers and was wondering if there was a general consensus on this issue. I've personally done both, but have wondered if dropping them off comes off as pushy, especially since some secretaries protect their principal harder than an offensive line protects a QB.
    Is it good enough to just simply email your resume and follow it up with another email/phone call?

3. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Apr 14, 2010

I've done it all when it comes to applications...drop off, online, mail, fax. Whenever send an application, no matter which format, I ALWAYS email the principal to let them know I've applied. Sometimes the app goes to them, sometimes to admin, but I always follow up with an email.

4. eri444

eri444 Rookie

Apr 14, 2010

I'm always trying to figure out where to draw the line between pushy/annoying and dedicated/determined. I guess it just depends on the principal or secretary - just have to take our chances, I suppose.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2010

The word "simply"says it all.
    Go in. Even it you don't make it past the secretary, she will form an opinion of you and probably pass it on. And whoever receives it will know you made the effort to come in.

Don't settle for what's simple.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 14, 2010

Pretty much, I've done what the job posting says.... if it says to mail it, I mail it. If it says "only online applications iwll be considered, no phone calls please," then that's what I do... if it says to also sumbit a letter of interest to the principal, that's what I do...

I look at it as a test to see who knows how to follow directions.

That being said, ifi t's uomething that's uspposed to be mailed, I'd always rather take it by or at least call then just assuming it arrived. And that says something, because I HATE making phone calls :)

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 14, 2010

Maybe it's that Clarnet and i are both from the same area (Illinois) and it's different here.... but we are the land of the online application ONLY - no calls, no hard copies, no mail.

Last year I walked things in...and was greeted by indifference to actually being yelled at. Never heard from ANY of them and it cost me a LOT of money to put full packets together. Though i will feel that I could be doing more...I am going to let my application shine.

There are rumors (around here) of some positions having up to 4,000 applicants. Though i want to stand out...it's not by doing what they asked SPECIFICALLY for me not to do.

Now I have heard other areas (was it our Texas coilition???) welcomed walk-ins. Illinois, for the most part, not so much.

Check out what they prefer in your area.

Added: Oh, and I asked the principal from the school I did my LTS at, "What can I do for myself next? Email district principals that I have done this and am available for consideration?" And she nearly choked. "Do you have any idea how many e-mails we get a DAY? I get over 100 by lunch time. No. An e-mail is not the way to endear yourself to any busy principal. make sure your on-line application is updated. Use the lingo that the district uses...especially what is considered currently important...and discuss proof that you have succeeded in it. THAT is how to get our attention. That and...networking. ;)"

Take that for what it's worth.

8. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 14, 2010

Last year, I walked them in and followed up by an email or a phone call or both....spaced out of course. Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

BUT this year I'm working and I cannot leave until 2:45 but most offices close at 3:00. No way I can make it there in time. I've been emailing but I will probably start mailing a hard copy as well.